It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Why the pacer? Was it a flop or something? I think it's an awesome car. Do normal people not think that?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:12 pm 
Eagle

IMO it took a ton of money to develop and then at the last minute GM screwed things up. AMC did not have a lot of money they could spend on R&D without creating a winner. AMC got stuck merging old technology under a new shell. And, Rambler Mentality was still in play among buyers who did not opt for A/C and then complained about the car being too hot. Also, a lot of myths were created about Pacers, among them if you hit railroad tracks to hard the windows would all pop out. A/C should have been standard on Pacers, just like the Ambo's. True winners for AMC was the Hornet platform and the XJ, which in some regards is an offshoot of the Hornet platform. I bought a first year Pacer and it was a very nice car, but underpowered even with the three speed manual transmission.

And here are some observations from AllPar:

Renault Premier was introduced in late '87. It too, fit a hungry market niche of larger, well-appointed FWD cars. They, and '88 Medallions were rebadged "Eagle," as Chrysler agreed to build the new Premiers in AMC's new high-tech Bramalea, Ontario plant for five years. AMC Eagle was trimmed to the wagon bodystyle only. Less than 2500 were built. Jeep J-series pickup production was halted; and the Kenosha, Wisconsin assembly plant, which had been manufacturing cars since the first Rambler in 1897, was torn down. The spirit of AMC lives on, though, as many AMC employees were absorbed by Chrysler. Former-AMC engineers, stylists, and other personnel are helping to create the incredible MoPar machines of today. Indeed, some would say that the AMC engineers and managers rescued Chrysler from an egocentric, bureaucratic culture.

Note: Nick McIntosh wrote that there is a rumor that the 1988 Eagle was packed with previously optional equipment to use up inventories. He provided evidence to the contrary.

Evan Boberg wrote: "At the time of the merger in 1987...Engineering departments were reorganized into an AMC fashion. Internally, it was said to be patterned after Honda. After the first few years, it looked as if AMC had taken over Chrysler...the merger with AMC brought Chrysler back to life...many of the AMC brain trust had been former Chrysler employees..." He also noted, in his book Common Sense Not Required, that the Jeep design for the Grand Cherokee dominated over a Dakota-based SUV that would later become the Durango; and that the Intrepid resembled the Eagle Premier more than any current Chrysler. Another former engineer said that the Neon design team was made up mainly of former AMC people, and replaced a Chrysler team and its K-based design. Again

Chris Theodore said:

AMC turned out to be a great culture – even though I didn’t think it was going to - it was a lot of fun. It was a prototype for platform teams [at Chrysler] because it was all about pulling together to survive. This scrappy little company was trying to reinvent itself. People had a lot of responsibility and they had to deliver. Teamwork was imperative. You couldn’t be fighting with each other.

Chrysler, like I said, when we got the platform teams rolling with everyone working together under Lutz and Castaing, was like Camelot.

AMC contributions to Chrysler include not only Francois Castaing, but also the Director of Small Car Operations, who was responsible for the PT Cruiser. We understand most of the Neon engineers were also ex-AMC.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting... I didn't know any of this. I don't know much about the history of these cars, but I have some innate attraction to them.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:44 pm 
Eagle

Only read the first post and while I will say that the Pacer did fail at being that small eco-friendly car I still think it was a fun unique design and I'd drive one today. So yeah I guess in the scheme of things it failed at being the car they hoped it would be, but I still think it's a cool car!

Kind of the same thing goes with the Marlin too if you asked me. I think it has some very interesting lines and I love the look when the windows are all down. It wasn't the big American muscle looking car that they needed to compete with the likes of the Mustang/Camaro.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:12 am 
Eagle

The Pacer design was unique. It was just the wrong car at the wrong time and AMC was backed into a corner forcing them to get it onto the market to recoup their investment.

The Tarpon was the original concept for an AMC Pony Car (before the term was coined) but Abernathy was into big cars in order to compete with the Big 3, instead of going with AMC's strength in small cars, and hence the Marlin. Many feel the Tarpon would have been a good seller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_Tarpon

The problem with the Matador coupe is that AMC designed a car that did not use body components from other AMC products of the time. AMC, again, got away from one of their tried and true assets of cross usage of parts amongst its models.

Now a Homer I forgot:

The HUMVEE

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Big gomer:

Not putting the I6 in the xj from day one.

Next:
Keeping the 258 in the 87 eagle, while the xj got the xj exclusive 4.0 (why did every other jeep not get it too?), could have been the difference between life and death.

Last:
VAM had 4.5 litre I6's, IE a 4.0 stroker, why not AMC?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:00 pm 
Eagle

Shagg wrote:
Big gomer:

Not putting the I6 in the xj from day one.

Next:
Keeping the 258 in the 87 eagle, while the xj got the xj exclusive 4.0 (why did every other jeep not get it too?), could have been the difference between life and death.

Last:
VAM had 4.5 litre I6's, IE a 4.0 stroker, why not AMC?

Great observations. The 4.6 (282 cid) VAM engine was a 258 bored out an extra 0.16 inches. It came out in 1971 to counteract the lower octane fuels and higher altitudes found in Mexico. Rated at 200 GROSS horsepower with a 2 bbl carb.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:58 pm 
Eagle

Just realized another homer. The ability to adapt their product line to fill their needs from existing products or designs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:56 pm 
Eagle

heres more proof behind why the 4.0 is a homer. they ran liquid glass through it, and a rod let go putting a whole in the block, but it took right off the next day. I would like to see the look on those Image polititions ace when they say that fire up, heck it be neat to see the morons that killed off the 4.0 see that. Image :sly:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:03 pm 
Eagle

I ran a '68 Rebel, 232, with a blown piston skirt several miles (killing mosquitos all the way) to get it home. Engine remained quiet. Replaced it with a junk yard Gremlin engine I got for $100.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport