It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: hijack this thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:40 pm 
Eagle

Watching shag's cat video in slow motion, right after the attack, the cat looks like it's in the "oh shit, I'm dead" mood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:19 pm 
Eagle

I think ive seen where the government was warning that ethanol will corrode the fuel system. I found a tsb on Mitchell on demand showing that AMC knew about this in 83. ive decided to post it here for those interested

ALCOHOL BLEND FUELS WARNING
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): I.S. NO. 7E, OCT. 83
ALCOHOL BLEND FUELS - POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO FUEL SYSTEM
APPLICATION
Model(s): ALL AMC/JEEP/RENAULT
Date: October, 1983
Bulletin No.: 7E
Category: Engine
SERVICE INFORMATION
DEFINITION OF GASOHOL

NOTE: The cosolvents used in Methanol are needed to enhance solubility. The corrosion inhibitors are needed to counteract the highly corrosive nature of methyl alcohol.
GASOHOL USE
1983 American Motors Spirit 4.2L Eng DL
Alcohol blend fuels containing excessive quantities of ethyl alcohol (Ethanol) or methyl alcohol (Methanol) can damage fuel system components causing driveability problems.
Because of the problem potential associated with the use of alcohol blend fuels, this l.S. Note is to advise of the effects of its use.
Gasohol is a fuel blend consisting of 10% ethyl alcohol (Ethanol) and 90% unleaded gasoline. Ethanol is a grain alcohol.
Fuel blends containing Methanol consist of methyl alcohol, cosolvents and corrosion inhibiters and unleaded gasoline. Methyl alcohol is a wood alcohol derivative and highly corrosive.
Fuel blends containing more than 3% Methanol are not acceptable and must not be used in any AMC/Jeep/Renault vehicles.
The only alcohol fuel blend mixture acceptable for occasional use in AMC/Jeep/Renault vehicles is Gasohol (10% Ethanol and 90% unleaded gasoline). Although this mixture is acceptable, it is not recommended nor endorsed by American Motors Corporation.
Printer Friendly View
CAUTION:
Gasohol with 10% Ethanol is acceptable for occasional use only. Exclusive use may result in eventual fuel system damage caused by corrosion.
GASOHOL IDENTIFICATION
Most alcohol-gasoline fuel blends (including the type of alcohol in the blend) are identified on the pump. However, some suppliers and service stations sell gasoline containing alcohol that is not identified as such. In addition, if the fuel is advertised as Gasohol, the owner must be sure that is is 10% Ethanol and 90% unleaded gasoline. Do not fill the vehicle tank until fuel content can be determined.
ALCOHOL BASE FUEL ADDITIVES
Alcohol base fuel additives being marketed as octane boosters are not recommended. Most of these additives contain very high percentages of Methanol which is extremely corrosive. Do not use these products.
EFFECT OF GASOHOL USE ON VEHICLE WARRANTY
Gasohol is not expressly recommended by AMC, Jeep or Renault. Fuel system damage caused by its use may not be covered under warranty. This also applies to paint damage caused by Gasohol fuel spills.
PROBLEM POTENTIAL OF IMPROPERLY BLENDED ALCOHOL FUELS
The Ethanol and Methanol used in fuel blends are both corrosive by nature with Methanol being the more corrosive of the two. Because of this chemical property, excessive quantities of alcohol in a fuel blend can result in premature deterioration of fuel system components.
A brief list of potential problems caused by improperly blended, or excessive use of alcohol blend fuels is outlined below.
* Corrosion of fuel system components including the inside of the fuel tank, steel fuel lines, and the carburetor and fuel pump. The zinc and aluminum alloys and the Terne coating in the fuel tank are especially susceptible to alcohol corrosion.
* Deterioration and/or failure of synthetic rubber or plastic fuel system parts such as O-rings, accelerator pump cups and/or diaphragms, gaskets, needle valves, and floats. Excessive quantities of Methanol may even partially dissolve some synthetic components.
* No-start condition caused by blocked fuel filter, line or pump. As material is etched from system, components, it will accumulate and eventually block these components.
* No-start condition caused by fuel system icing. The presence of water will cause the fuel to separate into two layers. The alcohol -water layer is heavier than gasoline and will sink to the tank bottom covering the fuel outlet.
* Paint damage caused by fuel spills. This type of damage is not covered by the vehicle warranty.
* Shop comebacks and owner dissatisfaction. If evidence indicates that an owner is using incorrect alcohol fuel blends or is using excessive amounts of Gasohol, advise the owner to resume use of the recommended grade of gasoline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Hmm, wonder if any other manufacturers also sent out this memo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm 
Hornet

I know Ford did (when I worked there)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:00 am 
Javelin

This morning it was 35 degrees....guess I wont have to worry about the hot start issue for a while now...lol. I am not ready for winter yet....the eagle might be but I am not. :facepalm:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:54 am 
Hornet

Wife says bills are due and I still can't work more than a day or so a week (and I don't get to choose what day it is I don't have vertigo) I've applied for disability and I'm waiting on that but in the meantime I'm getting rid of all my projects. I may even have to sell my cabin. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:01 pm 
Javelin

Went and voted yesterday with an absentee ballot. Everyone should go vote.

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:20 pm 
Hornet

I agree. I won't say how to vote, but if you vote for the same thing, you'll get the same result.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:30 pm 
Eagle

im glad my mj didn't come from Minnesota. :wtf: stolen from this thread. http://comancheclub.com/topic/44513-rus ... -mj/page-2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:46 pm 
Hornet

I saw a lot of '80s Mazda and Ford Rangers do that. Watched one fold up as it crossed the railway tracks. Sold mine shortly after.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next