It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:50 am 
Javelin

I will be on a vacational trip in Florida the next days, around Clearwater, St Pete and Kissimee.

I will be happy to see any AMC in the Tampa-Pinellas area.

Best regards from European AMC fans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:42 am 
Javelin

I am back from the Florida trip.

Finally I didn´t see any Eagle, only a Jeep Wagonneer, a Rambler station wagon in St. Petersburg area, and an Javelin on a highway between Daytona and Kissimmee.

Really our Eagles may be the last ones, it´s a shame

It was very nice to drive on highways with four lanes, I was very scared driving an Hyundai Elantra automatic because I drove a little slow compared with the all ones, because I am not used to drive using an odometer reading in Miles (my Eagle has an odometer in KM/miles not MILES/km) so for me is a little difficult to determine if I was driving fast or not, since I didn´t want to get speed fines. The Speed Limit signals desing is very different from european signals and I am not used to drive in the middle of a 4 lanes highway, full of fast cars.

I enjoyed the "roar" experience of the gasoline cars, with automatic transmissions, even the rental Hyundai Elantra roar a lot and run very fast compared with european cars, with manual transmissions, and diesel engines. Really these US cars get high speed very fast from our manual tranny cars. I was able to change of lanes and run away from previous cars, something problematic to do with my ford fiesta with manual tranny, without acceleration due to its sad diesel engine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:20 pm 
Javelin

Another discovery about the US cars is that now its design is very similar to european cars, with common details since japanese and korean cars merged the designs.

I enjoy watching 70s and 80s cars, but really cars like the Saturn are nothing relevant, and someones are re-badges of Suzuki, Opel (from Germany) or korean brands like KIA or MAZDA.

In Europe is hard to see classic american cars but now I released the same happen in the United States, really a few classical cars from 70s can be watched on the streets. I released US citizens thinks in the same way that europeans, old cars are problematics, even if they are beautiful, so the new cars replace these old jewels.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Good to hear the trip went well, I don't recall any eagle owners being from Florida. Yes very few people use these old rigs as daily commuters, but some of us still do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:30 pm 
Pacer

the first and second generation saturns where their own animal .... just an independant car company churning out cars under the blanket and fiancial backing of General Motors. The newer saturns are just rebadged GM cars with little body and interior tweaks until GM dropped the brand. I'm a closet Saturn nut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 am 
Javelin

bertosalceda wrote:
I released US citizens thinks in the same way that europeans, old cars are problematics, even if they are beautiful, so the new cars replace these old jewels.

The tide is shifting direction. Years ago it was not economical or simple to drive a car that was 30 years old. Now the new ones are harder and more expensive to work on then ever before and the old ones are easier and cheaper to work on than ever before. The access to information and support in forums makes a huge difference and the ready availability and reduced cost of websites like Rockauto are also a big difference. The biggest difference is still how hard it is to work on new cars however.

A mechanic in the '80s would look at disgust at the prospect of replacing the engine in an Eagle. All the cars made the decade before did not require removing the front axle, transfer case, and transmission before finally getting to the engine. Now an Eagle is immensely easier to work on than anything you buy today and even cheaper too. It took three times as long to replace the engine on a 2005 Equinox as it takes to do so on an Eagle. During the job I tried to buy a torque converter for it and all of the major retailers do not carry it. Rockauto, Advance, Autozone, all came up as "not available." O'reillys was the only place that offered one and it was twice as expensive as the equivalent part in an Eagle. The nearest O'reillys is several hundred miles away from me.

It used to be a very common first reaction to my Eagle to hear, "oh wow what is that? It must be really hard to find parts for that." In my 1980 Eagle the head gasket is expected to last 300K+ miles and it is in stock at every retail store for half the cost of the headgasket for a 2005 Equinox or a 2003 Subaru, neither of which are expected to even make 120K+ miles and both of which take literally twice as long to replace.

A man local to me who owns his own mechanic shop and has four full time employees working for him recently posted a formal policy against accepting any customer who owns a car newer than 1997.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:03 am 
Javelin

Shagg wrote:
Good to hear the trip went well, I don't recall any eagle owners being from Florida. Yes very few people use these old rigs as daily commuters, but some of us still do.

Happy to hear these nice comments from you.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:03 am 
Javelin

thereverendbill wrote:
the first and second generation saturns where their own animal .... just an independant car company churning out cars under the blanket and fiancial backing of General Motors. The newer saturns are just rebadged GM cars with little body and interior tweaks until GM dropped the brand. I'm a closet Saturn nut

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:10 am 
Javelin

captspillane wrote:
bertosalceda wrote:
I released US citizens thinks in the same way that europeans, old cars are problematics, even if they are beautiful, so the new cars replace these old jewels.

The tide is shifting direction. Years ago it was not economical or simple to drive a car that was 30 years old. Now the new ones are harder and more expensive to work on then ever before and the old ones are easier and cheaper to work on than ever before. The access to information and support in forums makes a huge difference and the ready availability and reduced cost of websites like Rockauto are also a big difference. The biggest difference is still how hard it is to work on new cars however.

A mechanic in the '80s would look at disgust at the prospect of replacing the engine in an Eagle. All the cars made the decade before did not require removing the front axle, transfer case, and transmission before finally getting to the engine. Now an Eagle is immensely easier to work on than anything you buy today and even cheaper too. It took three times as long to replace the engine on a 2005 Equinox as it takes to do so on an Eagle. During the job I tried to buy a torque converter for it and all of the major retailers do not carry it. Rockauto, Advance, Autozone, all came up as "not available." O'reillys was the only place that offered one and it was twice as expensive as the equivalent part in an Eagle. The nearest O'reillys is several hundred miles away from me.

It used to be a very common first reaction to my Eagle to hear, "oh wow what is that? It must be really hard to find parts for that." In my 1980 Eagle the head gasket is expected to last 300K+ miles and it is in stock at every retail store for half the cost of the headgasket for a 2005 Equinox or a 2003 Subaru, neither of which are expected to even make 120K+ miles and both of which take literally twice as long to replace.

A man local to me who owns his own mechanic shop and has four full time employees working for him recently posted a formal policy against accepting any customer who owns a car newer than 1997.

In Spain the mechanics looks scared when they see my car thinking in the complications of extracting rusted pieces and, in my experience, break something more when they are doing the job.

You are right, spare parts are cheap, but I release that new mechanics don´t have the knowledge to do some kind of works in an 30 years car. Now I released that I cannot take my car since they can damage it due to its little knowledge so since I found one mechanic for the metalwork and another one from Venezuela who isn´t scared with my car, these ones are my options to work on it. I am tired of mechanics who park my car in its parking lot and didn´t work on it for weeks or months.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 am 
Eagle

Nowadays cars are becoming throwaways. When an engine fails, you rarely hear of anyone rebuilding a modern engine nowdays. Instead another engine is found, and the old one is scrapped. From what I understand, in japan it is cheaper to buy a new car than fix an old one. I myself am not that impressed with how the new cars are designed, so I plan on sticking with the traditional design vehicles as long as I can. Looks like it will be a bunch of crown vics and pickups