It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:58 pm 
Pacer

Howdy all,

Finally sold my XJ, and with a lot of searching I found a solid condition 1986 Eagle Limited, and it has the front skidplate. I pooped a little when I found it on there.

The car wasn't for sale, I heard about it from a friend of a friend who has a dog who pooped on a lawn of a person that saw it. Was such a slim chance I found it I can't believe it.

The Eagle is not in as good condition wear wise as my old Eagle, the body and frame are in great condition though. Front driver's seat is nasty, and the carpet needs replacing (that or cut a section out to replace it, not sure). It needs a tuning to be sure and a timing check, and the feedback Carter needs a kick. There's an odd buzz/whine coming from the rear axle (not pinion bearing I'm almost 100% sure, it's there whether foot is on the gas or not but if the gas pedal is lightly pressed it goes away) which I think might be a u-joint. The steering wheel squeaks when turning, and the turning is loose.

So in saying this, I have to ask :

1 - where can I buy replacement carpet for the interior?
2 - would a 85 Chrysler New Yorker seats fit into the Eagle? Any other vehicles have seats that would fit? (also an SX4 there but the seat is kind of broken for adjustment)
3 - any idea what the squeaking is behind the steering wheel?
4 - can I unbolt the np128 t-case and slap in a np129?

Anyways, I also have full access to 4 other Eagles as well as an SX/4 for all the parts I want. I get to haul 1 car of my choosing out of there, as well as whatever parts I can pack out with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 pm 
Hornet

Check the diff oil. If you're lucky it's a 3.08 or 3.55 which XJs came with frequently. I'm waiting to see if Brian has carpet still in Alberta.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:52 am 
Pacer

Some of the other eagles around have ok carpeting but it's been exposed to the elements. Kind of worries me due to mold problems.

Won't know till I rip it out to look though.

And yeah...I hope the rear is the same gearing as an XJ. Easy saw to a better rear axle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:24 am 
Javelin

Nightpath wrote:
Howdy all,

So in saying this, I have to ask :
1 - where can I buy replacement carpet for the interior?

In my opinion the Rockauto ACC cutpile carpet is the best option and the cheapest. I bought this one a few months ago, and after take off the seat, it was not very difficult to fit into the Eagle, but be aware you will be in need to cut the excess of carpet, and there is no a hole for the transmission shifter cutted on the carpet.

ACC 118581CUTPILE (1185-81:8296) Carpet (5703.20.9800) € 86.30 USD $116.89

It was more cheaper than buying from Ebay sellers or even buying from the ACC Cutpile online shop.

Attachment:
01136.jpg
01136.jpg [ 672 KiB | Viewed 3095 times ]

Attachment:
01172.jpg
01172.jpg [ 672 KiB | Viewed 3095 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:37 am 
Pacer

I never checked Rock Auto to see if they sold carpets. AWESOME!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:33 am 
Javelin

Nightpath wrote:
I never checked Rock Auto to see if they sold carpets. AWESOME!

I am not sure if you are joking me, but since I live in Europe, for me Rockauto saved the life of my Eagle in several times, since for me, internet is the only way to get spare parts for the Eagle in Europe.

When I bought the Eagle, Rockauto was the easy way and one of the few to offer a wide catalogue of replacements, classified for people like me, without mechanical knowledgements. For me Rockatuo also works as a wide database for references of spare parts to search them fro independent sellers from Ebay, or even Amazon.com, where I bought cheap than Rockauto the air shocks (Gabriel brand

Also there are SummitRacing, and many others, but Rockauto is very easy to find replacements, no like the other online stores, with spares unclassified or without any description or detailed pictures.

Attachment:
RIMG1244.JPG
RIMG1244.JPG [ 658.56 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]
Attachment:
RIMG1254.JPG
RIMG1254.JPG [ 656.49 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]

Attachment:
RIMG1096.2.jpg
RIMG1096.2.jpg [ 672 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]

Compare the 2 carpets, the new is the one from the left and the old is at the right, but smell like oil.
Attachment:
RIMG1111.3.jpg
RIMG1111.3.jpg [ 672 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]

OLD CARPET
Attachment:
RIMG1112.5.jpg
RIMG1112.5.jpg [ 640 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]

NEW CARPET
Attachment:
RIMG1112.6.jpg
RIMG1112.6.jpg [ 672 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:47 pm 
Pacer

I was being 100% serious :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:42 pm 
Javelin

Nightpath wrote:
I was being 100% serious :)

Its all right.

You will find the carpet on the section "Body interior-Carpet". For my Eagle I choose the nutmeg colour, the one for the wagon, not the one for SX-4.

It is very similar to the original, but not exactly the same colour and the quality is a little different, because the cutpile hair is shorter than in the original carpet.
I found the attached label under the original carpet
Attachment:
RIMG0867.JPG
RIMG0867.JPG [ 654.29 KiB | Viewed 3083 times ]

It was a big job to fit the carpet inside the car, but I am not a handy man. I have to pay a man for the rebuild work of my car, since I am not able to do any kind of mechanical fixing or metalwork.

116 USD may be a lot of money, but if you enjoy your Eagle, it will be a "must", since the car will be clean again and you will say goodby to the bad smells.
In the USA this kind of "must" may be different, since the Eagle is an every day car, not very "rare", even hated, but for me in Europe, the AMCs are strange birds, so I decided to spend my money to arrange it, in order to have a nice car and not a headache.

I love its wild look

Here you can see the post of the metalwork of my Eagle
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1630