It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 am 
Noob

I came across what sounds like a pretty good deal and want to get a sanity check. Its an 84 Eagle Wagon, here's the listing:

1984 amc eagle 4x4 wagon. Lifted 4" LT 235/75/16 good tires new brakes front and rear,recent allignment, all records for numrous repairs, Interior in good shape, runs awsome, inline 6cyd 258cid. Classic, not many left in this good shape. Must sell moving, 1, 500.oo obo...

When I stopped by to see it there was no battery but once we found a good one it fired right up. I didn't expect such an aggressive idle but it sounded consistent and good. The headliner had been yanked out, the center console wasn't in place (but he had it), the driver's side door handle didn't work, the hatchback hydraulics didn't work but it ran fine and was mostly in great shape. The windshield was cracked and there is a ding in the front right quarter panel and some scrape and rust on the passenger door. This guy has owned it for a year, and he was the second owner. It has 120k original miles on it so I'm thinking its a great find.

All in all, I'm curious how great the price is and how afraid I should be of the handful of things that need to get done. This will be my winter weather daily driver (I have a Tacoma, wife has a new Outback so I won't be stranded) and a project car but its my first project car. Dare I take the plunge? (If so then I'll be here much more frequently and inquisitively. (c;

Your wisdom & experience is greatly appreciated. (c:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:13 am 
Pacer

Does look pretty nice. I doubt it's a 4" lift and if it is there are other things involved.

We have several members here that are up that direction and have more brains than I do.
Lot of help in the Colorado area. Although it doesn't look like a 4" lift I can see the shackles in the back.

Last edited by SpreadEagle on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:27 am 
Eagle

Not a bad price if the underbody is not rotted out. Welcome to the site.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 am 
Noob

He admitted it was a 3" lift and then bigger tires, netting a 4" increase. It doesn't look that much higher than stock by my reckoning. The 4" lift (or less) isn't really a consideration in the purchase so I won't quibble. Looking underneath revealed no rot that I could find, though it had the spray on protective coating in there. It came from Arizona so I don't expect there will be much rot underneath.

I had read about carburetors being an issue on these Eagles but when I mentioned it he said it hasn't been a problem at all. The only issue has been a consistent oil leak that takes about 1 quart a month.

I was considering offering a bit less since on day 1 I have to put a new battery in it and will be climbing through the passenger door until I can fix the driver's side door. I see a handful of AMC parts places so presume parts won't be that difficult to find as I fix the various cosmetic and functional bits. Does offering $1100 and I'll bring the battery seem fair? Would you buy one at $1500 if the only stuff to fix really seems to be cosmetic?

My internet is Comcastic though I'm optimistic I won't need support on the site. (c:

Thanks for the welcomes!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 am 
Hornet

welcome to evo!
that doesn't look like a 4" lift, and looks like only 15" wheels. the things listed are easy fixes. AS LONG AS THATS ALL! look under the car real good. make sure its not rusted out. where are you located? these cars are used a lot for winter driving, and in turn, the salt used on the roads in a lot of places rusts them out underneath.

there are a LOT of folks here with lots of info and help for you. are you very knowledgeable on wrenching on a car? these cars are actually VERY simple cars to work on. basic mechanical knowledge can fix most things on these cars. :banana: :cheers:

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:54 am 
Noob

I'm in Colorado (in Longmont, near Boulder, North of Denver) but presuming he isn't lying then this Eagle has spent most of its life in Arizona. The previous owner was a little old lady that didn't necessary put it through its paces, though he has confirmed it will make its way up the trails around here.

I haven't spent much time under a vehicle but was liking the size and lift of the Eagle for what appears to make it very easy to work on. I spend a lot more time making sawdust than being covered in grease but I can cover basic & intermediate mechanical stuff with confidence. Unfortunately it means I don't intuitively notice any trouble spots or engine problems, though it did fire up eagerly without any whining or other issues. I looked underneath pretty thoroughly and don't see cancer anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 pm 
Pacer

eternus wrote:
I'm in Colorado (in Longmont, near Boulder, North of Denver) but presuming he isn't lying then this Eagle has spent most of its life in Arizona. The previous owner was a little old lady that didn't necessary put it through its paces, though he has confirmed it will make its way up the trails around here.

I haven't spent much time under a vehicle but was liking the size and lift of the Eagle for what appears to make it very easy to work on. I spend a lot more time making sawdust than being covered in grease but I can cover basic & intermediate mechanical stuff with confidence. Unfortunately it means I don't intuitively notice any trouble spots or engine problems, though it did fire up eagerly without any whining or other issues. I looked underneath pretty thoroughly and don't see cancer anywhere.

With maddog, Vangremlin and GRONK in the area I feel you are in better shape that I am here in the flat lands of Kansas.

I'm not one to say what is reasonable for price but it runs and there is no cancer.. Probably a good buy as long as you feel comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:11 pm 
Eagle

Welcome to Evo! check under the plastic if possible. those areas hide rust easily.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:13 pm 
Pacer

I saw that one on craigslist last night and thought it looked like it was worth $1300 but if no rot and it runs and drives good then it is definitely worth $1500 as for the handle I have 1 here in pueblo.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:11 pm 
Rebel

Welcome! Undercoating can hide the rust. Punch the driver front floor from the bottom. I found out. Also look at the front framerails where they transition floor to firewall.