All times are UTC - 8 hours

What should we do with the front page
Completely change it. 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Leave it as is, but take out the forum part 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Leave it as is 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Admin

It seems Dave(casper) is confused with how the site works, and so maybe other people are/will be too. He really has helped me a ton on the old evo site, so I'd be upset if he left altogether.

One option is that we could just get rid of the whole thing, and start over with just a blog type page, that an admin would add things like eagle of the month or any general broad community news.

Another option is to leave it like it is, and let anyone post stuff on there, but take out the forum part.

And lastly we could just leave it like it is.

What are your thoughts on how to make the experience as least confusing, and good as possible?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am 
Pacer

Thinking take out the forum part; any links to a forum have them direct to here, & keep it as a blog/feed for new articles - old ads, how-to's, tech tips, etc. Basically anything that is to be saved so it's not getting buried in the day-to-day of forum posts?

A buggy in the shop isn't as hard core as a stocker in the bush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am 
Eagle

Maybe make it bit clearer to visitors who want to participate that they have found the front page of the entire site and that if they want to participate in the forum to go to it via the link and then register to use it as well. Perhaps make the wiki also available from the forum by opening it up in a new window, if that is possible.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 pm 
Eagle

I like the pm notification on the other one, but I like the forum on here better. it seems more like a forum than the other one did

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah there's really no need to have a forum type deal on the home page. I would think the home page would be best as basically a site map, IE, for forum: click here, for wiki: here, for EOTM pictures: here, etc, etc. As far as the blogger, isn't that kind of what we already do when we make a project thread or how to? Or am I misunderstanding the blogger thing?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah that's pretty much it. If someone blogs their project on the front page you don't have to wade through comments to see the progress. For me that's the big sell there, but maybe people don't care.

I took the forum off on the main page, so it's done. Hopefully Dave comes over here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ah I get it, kind of an un interupted progress report.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 pm 
Eagle

since we are getting overrun on the main page by spammers, can we end the signup for the main page, or put a notice to join the forum and not the main page. ive found some that seem to be real people : 1985amceagle: on the main page, but they haven't joined here. i am going to send both a pm to get them to join on the forum instead of the main page.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm 
Eagle

Yeah, the front page definitely needs some work. I don't even go to it anymore, but I just checked it out...there really doesn't seem to be much use for that page. All the main links at the top are pretty useless besides the Forum and the Wiki...I guess if people were really liking it the photo and video links could come in handy...but if we get rid of the registering on the front page then we won't need a join, members, blogs, groups, etc. And if we don't have a registration for the front page then no one could add photos or videos soo that would be pretty useless too. If we rework the front page to actually be a little more involved...links to popular upgrades/tutorials/etc. Then maybe it could be useful.

Another thing is there are no links here in the forum at the top of the page to get you back to the front page or the wiki. Are these things that could be added?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 pm 
Pacer

Good gods, we still have a front page? :holyshit: Damn, I'd forgotten all about that!

A buggy in the shop isn't as hard core as a stocker in the bush