It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

do we want EOTM here?
Poll ended at Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 am
yes 89%  89%  [ 16 ]
no 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Re: continue with EOTM?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 pm 
Hornet

eh, sadly, its apart in my garage right now. I have a 304 and MOST everything else I need, just waiting for a mustang fox body t5 to fall into my greasy lil hands. 304 and t5 in it should be TONS of fun!

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:35 am 
Pacer

I actually voted No, but I can see I'm alone on this one.

I really never liked EOTM because people kept Nominating and voting for the same cars year after year, and sometimes tried to nominate a winning car again - even after the bloody car won two months before.

If it was up to some folks over at the nest, we'd have 2, maybe 3 different cars thru the whole calendar. The 2 or 3 prettiest cars. That would be some stupid calendar... :facepalm:

Another thing that really put me off about EOTM, is turnout. :soapbox:
If the favorite pic of the fav car was being nominated, HUGE turnout... but two months later, when someone couldn't nominate that car AGAIN, and we were 'stuck' with the leftovers, like me or Maddog's car, the voter turnout was piss-poor. If you can vote for the 'hot' cars, you can damn well vote for the 'not-so-hot' cars also.

brtw, I always voted for the underdog. Every month. So maddog, you've gotten several votes from me over the - months, years, etc.

It's no wonder some people came to the nest, got an eagle, and then gave up on it after a while. Well fuck, if I had to compete with all those showroom looking eagles all the time... I've actually considered giving up, and getting myself a decent looking Forester, and give up on this whole 'AMC Eagle thing' and joining another forum - or none.

I guess my point is, be fair to the little guy here. Don't have the stupidity continue from the nest. Don't keep voting for that hot picture. Give everyone a real, and fair chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:15 am 
Eagle

Great observations Whuntmore. I know at least one admin who struggled with those issues time and time again.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 am 
Pacer

I voted yes but i don't want to see "the best of the best". I would like to see the ROTM to be more of a cheeky thing than a serious thing. after all how many of us here are building the "perfect" amc?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:37 am 
AMX

Whuntmore wrote:
I really never liked EOTM because people kept Nominating and voting for the same cars year after year, and sometimes tried to nominate a winning car again - even after the bloody car won two months before.

If it was up to some folks over at the nest, we'd have 2, maybe 3 different cars thru the whole calendar. The 2 or 3 prettiest cars. That would be some stupid calendar... :facepalm:

Another thing that really put me off about EOTM, is turnout. :soapbox:
If the favorite pic of the fav car was being nominated, HUGE turnout... but two months later, when someone couldn't nominate that car AGAIN, and we were 'stuck' with the leftovers, like me or Maddog's car, the voter turnout was piss-poor. If you can vote for the 'hot' cars, you can damn well vote for the 'not-so-hot' cars also.

brtw, I always voted for the underdog. Every month. So maddog, you've gotten several votes from me over the - months, years, etc.

It's no wonder some people came to the nest, got an eagle, and then gave up on it after a while. Well fuck, if I had to compete with all those showroom looking eagles all the time... I've actually considered giving up, and getting myself a decent looking Forester, and give up on this whole 'AMC Eagle thing' and joining another forum - or none.

I guess my point is, be fair to the little guy here. Don't have the stupidity continue from the nest. Don't keep voting for that hot picture. Give everyone a real, and fair chance.

I agree with that statement but the favoritism's didn't end there (a little off-topic). It went for pretty much every topic. A member of the popular crowd asks a questions, they got TONS of answers & help. Not-so-popular crowd asks a question, one would wait days and if/when it was answered it would be answered poorly and IF you did get decent answer turn out they'd make you look like a dumbass or not be very thorough in their answer.
Very disappointing all around. Let's not make the same mistakes!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 am 
Eagle

Quote:
I agree with that statement but the favoritism's didn't end there (a little off-topic). It went for pretty much every topic. A member of the popular crowd asks a questions, they got TONS of answers & help. Not-so-popular crowd asks a question, one would wait days and if/when it was answered it would be answered poorly and IF you did get decent answer turn out they'd make you look like a dumbass or not be very thorough in their answer.
Very disappointing all around. Let's not make the same mistakes!

So it got that bad? Everything I hoped would not happen. That is not the way it should have been. Everyone deserves respect and none of that crap about not knowing something. There is a hell of a lot I don't know and I welcomed the advice. I have also noticed this at another AMC forum, if you don't have certain AMC models then answers are slow in coming, if at all.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 am 
Javelin

I don't really care who is asking the question, I just try to give the best, most straight forward answer I can. Even if the person is less than polite, I know my advice will go toward helping the car (which I'm perfectly ok with).

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 am 
Pacer

I voted yes, but I agree with Whuntmore, enough of the Nest bullshit popularity/beauty contest. These are Eagles, they're not meant to be pretty, they're meant to be functional - looks are just a bonus (& in the eye of the beholder). Let's face it, we're all far more used to Eagles with rust, half-working/broken/missing parts, wiring that would make Freud give up trying to understand the reasoning for, etc.

And Mud's very sadly right, both before & after the SAS on my Pepper, I got less help with even basic questions on the Nest than I did as a newbie on my local Jeep club. My burnt transmission was a perfect example. I got offered a TF727 from the Jeeb club, & while Nesters kept saying to just rebuild the 998, claiming "it's just as strong as any other trans, & the 727 will rob you of power, & won't fit", the Jeep guys just went "hey, these trans go behind built v8s all the time, a 4.2 isn't going to hurt it in the least". Also found the 258/727/208 combo was a STOCK Grand Wagoneer option, & the outer dimensions of the 727 & 998 were basically exactly the same, so yes, it would fit. Never did figure where this "robbing of power" came from, since I actually had more P.U.F.O. ("puff-o" = Pick Up & Fuck Off ;) ) with the 727 than the 998.

Point is, as bad as it got, & as much as it sucks, we need to remember how bad the Nest got, & try to avoid getting that way in the future as we get bigger & bigger. Yes, we're going to get the same question about a stuttering, stalling 4.2 over & over & over & over again. We're not new, but they are, as we once were. REMEMBER THAT & HAVE PATIENCE! Don't have patience that day? Don't post, or post just a link to a pertinent thread with a smiley face - they don't know that you're grinding your teeth at "yet another damn n00b that can't use a %^$*$ search function", they just see someone who's willing to help.

Now, wasn't this about starting a "Ride of the Month"? Ah, good ol' Evo hijacking! :lol:

A buggy in the shop isn't as hard core as a stocker in the bush

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 am 
Eagle

Well said Kirsten. Especially the last part. One reason why the eaglepedia was created was to archive answers to basic questions in a an easier to read all in one article format and then we could point folks towards those answers along with a polite reply and personal observations.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:58 am 
Eagle

The nest had rules where you couldn't win twice in one year. Once you've won you couldn't be nominated again. Also the nest you had to be nominated by someone else didn't you? If I'm running things I'd rather people post their own pics and right their own blurb and nominate themselves. That way everyone has a shot. Though not all of us are building showroom cars there are some of us here that have built and are trying to build a nice looking restored Eagle and they should have a shot just as well. Maybe we'll just stick to won month where we just have a best of the best. Any body style. Then the other 11 months can be cheeky or scenery themed or something like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next