It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: A bit about yourself
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 am 
Pacer

Thank you guys for the service to the good ol' USA :) Sucks to hear that you injured yourself while overseas...most vets get overlooked and ignored when they come home injured, physically or otherwise. I hear the US military eats their own nowadays, which if true is a shame because you do some mighty fine work.

That's pretty awesome that you guys both work with people now (or did). I did the same for a few years, went to college, became a counsellor and worked in the educational system along side kids and teachers, helping out the youngsters.

And Regal, a lot of us in the military don't care to get into useless fights either, but we ARE a military, but that debate can be raged on for days. I personally have been spit on, threatened and so on, just because I wear the uniform. On the other hand, I've had more than a few little old ladies come up and give me a hug (some a smooch), hand shaken, and coffee given to me....but that is much more rare. Usually I get stared at, and rarely kids look at me with the look usually reserved for heroes (big eyes and mouth open), when that happens it makes my day.

I'm just glad I can help keep those at home safe, because sometimes our citizens shows why this country can be so great and worth defending ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 am 
Pacer

Nightpath wrote:
Thanks Doug...we don't have too many patriotic Canadians.

So how about yourself?

Unfortunately, (and I really hate to agree with this statement) but a portion of Canadians have a 'relaxed' patriotic stance with Canada.

I'll have to finish this when I get home from work...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 am 
Pacer

Alot of you know me as Bill on facebook so this info is nothing new. I'm 30 years old with 4 children (boy 12, girl 9, boy 4, and girl 2). I work full time as a painter/body guy in the industrial equipment manufacturing field. I have owned a total 4 AMC produtions: 1988 XJ cherokee, 1983 Limited Wagon, 1983 SX/4, and my current restoration a 1981 4cyl/4 speed kammback.

I guess I should have started this saying "My name is bill and I have an AMC addiction"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:46 pm 
Noob

closing in on 30, married, one little girl, another baby coming. own 1 spirit, had another one. havent owned an eagle, had a few chances, timing wasnt right. thoroughly enjoy crude humor, and modifying cars, whether it be stereo, engine, suspension, or just plain rediculous. currently working as a heavy duty mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:11 pm 
Rogue

This thread is an interesting read...

I'm 60+, married for going on 30 years, the father of two and grandfather of one. I'm a truck and bus mechanic by profession.

Our Eagle is the first AMC product that anyone in either of our immediate families have owned. My parents were GM people and my in-laws preferred Chrysler products.

My first car was a 1953 Chevy 4-door sedan. I've also owned two International pickups. My wife brought a Toyota into our marriage. Together we've owned in addition a 1968 Plymouth Fury (sometimes wish I still had it), a couple of Dodge minivans, a Blazer (it was troublesome), one each full-size and down-size Cherokees and a Hyundai. The down-size Cherokee and the Hyundai remain with us.

We purchased our first Eagle, an '84 wagon, when it was one year old and had 15k miles. We still have it, now with 168k miles; engine and transmission are original.

Last summer we bought a second Eagle, an '83 Limited wagon. It has transmission problems and we're undecided as to whether we fix it or part it out. :eagle:

Last edited by eegelbeek on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 pm 
Pacer

45 years old, Born and raised in Nova Scotia, Moved to Vancouver island in '95, got to work in an electronics repair shop, and was a 1st aid responder there, moved to Calgary in '98 (lived also in Edmonton, and Brandon)

been married for only (going on) 3 years, No children.

Too many jobs (I've done) to list, but now I'm working with the boilermakers (Large pressure vessels).

My first AMC was my girlfriends first car when we moved in together. In 1988, Her father got her an '81 spirit sedan that was in total dis-repair (he bought it pretty much sight unseen from a work buddy). It was horrible on fuel, was breaking down all the time (usually at least once a month) and the bills were costing us what an expensive car would cost. We eventually bought a brand new car, and our bills came down a lot.

My second AMC I bought a well-kept Ambassador 1972. That ran great, was pretty quick, and would corner like it was on rails. That car never failed me. but it had a 401 (guy who had it before me had 'beefed' the car up pretty well), and it was a bit hard on gas. Considering gas back then (in 1991 was about 0.49 cents a liter) I remember one weekend of errands cost me about $70. One week was $90.

My third is the eagle I now own.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:06 am 
Pacer

Where in NS are you from?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 pm 
Pacer

Nightpath wrote:
Where in NS are you from?

just south of Spryfield in Halifax.

How about you?

Last edited by Whuntmore on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:27 am 
Noob

Turned 66 3/6 this year. Married for 27 years. Retired from 22 years Naval service. Retired 16 years as a Service Manager for Chrysler dealers. Now doing IT work part time for a group of doctors, pharmacies, and other companies. During my 5 year tour in Japan, I sold AMC and Chrysler products after hours and on weekends. I have had various AMC's through the years and sold my 83 SX/4 in 2011. I hope to purchase another Eagle this summer. I volunteer one day a week to word at a computer repair store, the owners wife has a serious illness and must take treatments one day a week and I fill in for her. Other wise, I take care of the fur kids (12 cats).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:30 am 
Pacer

Most of you know I'm Pat. FORD man at heart, but nothing wrong with AMCs or even the original Mopars (pre - mistubushy). Expect y'all know I STRONGLY dislike gm & japanese. As for the AMCs, probably caught that from one of my brothers, he had several AMCs, including some of the (now) rare ones. He owned an AMX, Hurst SC/Rambler, '72(?) Matador, & Rebel Machine. Not at the same time & not necessarily in that order. He had his own repair shop/gas station in the '70s & the state decided to put a bypass in around the town where he was & it was going right through where he was, so he sold it. Been in the Army, drove truck there. Was a truck driver here in the real world till I got knocked off a loading dock downtown St. Louis. Messed my leg up permanently, can't push a clutch anymore. Now drive school bus (all automatics). Was married, wife died about 4 years ago. Owned 2 new Eagles in the '80s. Traded a (now rare) Kamback I had bought for a wagon. Sat down at the dealer & ordered the wagon the way I wanted (well, almost. Wanted a V-8, but not an option & I ordered it WITHOUT the roof rack, but still got it). Drove it a few years & needed a truck. Traded for a new dogde pickup. I'm glad to see my generation (past 55) represented here. Knew Doug was older than most of the young'uns here, but didn't realize there were more of us. I know some of you from Spacebook, feel free to look me up there if ya wanna. Grew up in Pa., real close The East Coast Sanctuary, when I got out of the Army, my last duty station was New Mexico. That was where I met my wife & all her friends were there so we settled down there. After getting my leg busted, we decided to stay here. Currently in St. Charles County, Mo. Just west of St. Louis.