It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Family Vehicle
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:14 am 
Eagle

With kids a mini-van is a given especially with car seats. We had a couple of them, a Plymouth and a Dodge when our kids were growing up. Best money we spent and the darn things were reliable. The Jeep Patriot we have is good for grandparents as the child safety seats just snap into those built in anchors. I wish they had those anchors back in the day.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:32 am 
Javelin

thereverendbill wrote:
. If looking for a van go right to the pentastar because they are probably the most comfotable to drive and they last.

A buddy of mine recently purchased a new Dodge Caravan for work. It's teh commercial version. Loaded down with tools and boxes of heavy copper cables, he says he getting 21-24 mpg, mostly city driving, plus it has 283hp.

thereverendbill wrote:

In all honesty an eagle as a family car is alot more safer than most of the other cars on the road because there are no plastic bumpers backed with foam that is then backed with a piece of light weight metal. the metal is thicker on an eagle than any modern van, and no air bags.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. The Eagle is basically a Hornet which was designed in the 60's. More modern cars have more crashworthiness designed into them. A couple months ago I was talking to a friend who is an EMT/Paramedic/Firefighter/Chiropractor and has been a first responder for 25 years. He was saying how he is amazed when they pull up on an accident scene and see a mangled car and the driver has minor injuries. He said he has definitely seen less serious injuries with the newer cars.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 am 
Eagle

Yeah, heavy steel doesn't correlate to safer car. Newer cars have built in crumble zones and they are designed for a reason. That's way you can't buy a car like a Ford Festiva anymore. All the regulations requiring airbags, and crumble zones and what not.

Although this video may be biased I still like to show it. The video was made by the department that regulates all these safety features and it looks like they didn't have a very structurally sound '59 to start with...you can see the rust cloud when it hits. It still shows how the safety features built into the newer car keep the people inside much safer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:08 am 
Eagle

all the heavier steel relates too is does the car drive home, or does it go home on a back of a tow truck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:17 am 
Hornet

The old Chev is an X frame, which they did away with because of the lack of rigidity. H frame is stronger. Did you notice the rust cloud on impact? That had a lot to do with it as well. Supposedly the Chev had a frame off redo before this, which makes me wonder what they did?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:31 am 
Eagle

Prafeston wrote:
...you can see the rust cloud when it hits. It still shows how the safety features built into the newer car keep the people inside much safer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 am 
Pacer

carnuck wrote:
I took an old '65 Dodge A series pickup with slant 6 and made it 4x4.

(like this one)

Now THAT is sharp. Swap a 318 or 340 for the slant 6 & hold on! Buddy wants to build an Econoline some day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 pm 
Metropolitan

I hate those Caravans we had several growing because they are cheap. The 2.5 was gutless unless you found a turbo model. The 3.0, 3.3, 3.8. are garbage. We had blown head gaskets, cracked heads, bad transmissions, etc... I would look into Later model safari and astro vans. They are solid, strong, some awd, and some come with a rear seat that folds into a bed. Do a search for lifted astro vans, they are sick, would be great for Kansas winter snow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am 
Hornet

Unless you severely abused the 3.0L, the head gasket shouldn't go. First couple years had issues with the valve guides (motor is a modified PRV V6, same as used in DeLorean, but muchly improved and no longer compatible. Also used in some Hyundais) The O/D trans was a POS but the 3 speeds took the abuse. They also came in 4x4 version (rear shaft went into a tee off the left axle)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:55 am 
Eagle

beat on a 2.2 Chrysler in a lebaron for a few years. there was just enough power there to move the car and that is about it.