It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 am 
Offline
Pacer

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:03 am
Posts: 857
Got the van back and only thing it appears it needs is a new ignition. and slight body work.

Any thought on how hard that is to replace and how expensive?


Edit:
1998 Dodge Caravan Sport


Last edited by SpreadEagle on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 am 
Offline
Rebel

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am
Posts: 152
Location: Seattle wa
well we kinda need a make yr and model


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:01 am 
Offline
Eagle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 pm
Posts: 1882
Location: Toledo, Iowa USA
You will probably need the special socket, sold at most parts stores, to get the fasteners out. Its a star or torx bit with a hole in the center that fits over a short nipple inside the fastener. Make sure to disable the air bag, just to make sure.

_________________
Doug, formerly known as IowaEagle.
"You gotta know the basics before you do the mods."
"I was in to AMC's before AMC's were cool."

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 am 
Offline
Rebel

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am
Posts: 152
Location: Seattle wa
heres how to do it nd u do need a special socket


Attachments:
ign switch lock cylinder.pdf [82.55 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 am 
Offline
Rebel

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am
Posts: 152
Location: Seattle wa
also flat rate time is 0.6hr and most shops do a 1hr min


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Hornet
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 1175
Location: North Seattle sort of
If there are any in the local junkyard with key, swap the whole column. They go for $50 here and take an hour (with 2 people to line things up) to change.


Change the SX4 rear end with one from an XJ. Add shock mounts after. You don't need the front shaft to drive unless you have a NP119 (there is a way to switch them to 2wd "temporarily" for emergencies) If it's a front CV axle that is bad in the SX4, you can tear it apart and use the outer part to make your car 2wd.

_________________
'87 Comanche 4x4 $3500 http://forums.amcevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1355
Image


Last edited by carnuck on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:36 pm 
Offline
Pacer

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:03 am
Posts: 857
max98059 wrote:
also flat rate time is 0.6hr and most shops do a 1hr min

Sounds great.

Here is a pic of the lock damage hope you can maybe see if the ignition is all I need. the Bay has a few listed for fairly reasonable

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline
Pacer

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:03 am
Posts: 857
carnuck wrote:
If there are any in the local junkyard with key, swap the whole column. They go for $50 here and take an hour (with 2 people to line things up) to change. Change the rear end with one from an XJ. Add shock mounts after. You don't need the front shaft to drive unless you have a NP119 (there is a way to switch them to 2wd "temporarily" for emergencies)
If it's a front CV axle that is bad, you can tear it apart and use the outer part to make your car 2wd.


Sorry you crazy carnuck we are talking about a van here mostly for the column but I caught what you were talking about. Thinking rip the CV's out of the front or replace with 1 of the 3 I have. XJ axle for the rear of the Eagle. I'll post reason for asking about cases on that thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:14 pm 
Offline
Hornet
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 1175
Location: North Seattle sort of
SpreadEagle wrote:
carnuck wrote:
If there are any in the local junkyard with key, swap the whole column. They go for $50 here and take an hour (with 2 people to line things up) to change. Change the rear end with one from an XJ. Add shock mounts after. You don't need the front shaft to drive unless you have a NP119 (there is a way to switch them to 2wd "temporarily" for emergencies)
If it's a front CV axle that is bad, you can tear it apart and use the outer part to make your car 2wd.


Sorry you crazy carnuck we are talking about a van here mostly for the column but I caught what you were talking about. Thinking rip the CV's out of the front or replace with 1 of the 3 I have. XJ axle for the rear of the Eagle. I'll post reason for asking about cases on that thread.



First, I spoke about the van column (then I was distracted by a knock at the door. Landlord bitching about the oil leaking on my driveway I usually clean up, but "someone" removed the outside taps so I can't even water the wife's plants now) I was asking about the SX4 after that and forgot the paragraph break (misplaced my phone too. Just found out I'm going to be a grandpa AGAIN! :cheers: )

_________________
'87 Comanche 4x4 $3500 http://forums.amcevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1355
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I'm lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 pm 
Offline
Rebel

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am
Posts: 152
Location: Seattle wa
umm it looks as if u may need a column! but I could be wrong! more pics


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Reputation System ©