It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:56 am 
AMX

My luck has sucked lately....

Have been having issues with my 05 PT Loser
At first it started with the oil light coming on- oil level was fine and a little overdue for an oil change ... No biggie (or so I thought). The oil light was purely random too mind you.
Get oil change done and see that on my 20-someodd point inspection that they didn't "reset" the oil light, which I am sure it wasn't on at that time anyways. A few days later it comes back on, I call 'em (chryco dealership/service) and they say "no prob, just swing in and we'll reset it", I'm thinking it's some kind of complicated thing (hook it up to a comp or something). I swing by and dude literally turns my key on access. and pumps my gas pedal... Something I could've done at home!
Still didn't solve my problem as it still comes on randomly. I have even 'reset' it a couple of times since.
But today my engine light came on.
Checked codes and have 2:
P0457- loose gas cap (I get this one ALL the fucking time, have had it tested and it was the gas cap had it replaced, then changed over to a locking cap and it can be fine forever on the tank and then the light/code pops up randomly)
P0522- engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage
....now the P0522 has me confused, what the hell is that!!!
??

Just to mention- a while back the engine light came on and it was revving high and shuttering at stop lights. Turned out it was the oil sending unit and that was replaced. Though I am not having revving and shuttering currently.

Just in case- I am doing this from my cell. And seem to be having issues, I posted once already but it's not showing up (at least for me). So if this is showing up multiple times, I do apologize and will delete as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 am 
Rogue

First, I'd try unhooking the battery for 10-15 minutes to "reset" the computer (It's worked for me before)....Second, I'd sell the piece of shit and drive the Eagle....That's why I refuse to own a vehicle made after 1985...It's much nicer to have a simple machine that you can tear down in your driveway and repair yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:21 am 
AMX

Preston77 wrote:
First, I'd try unhooking the battery for 10-15 minutes to "reset" the computer (It's worked for me before)....Second, I'd sell the piece of shit and drive the Eagle....That's why I refuse to own a vehicle made after 1985...It's much nicer to have a simple machine that you can tear down in your driveway and repair yourself.

Yea I have done the computer reset before (not this go around mind you). And was planning on doing it when I get home. The engine light just started this morning on my way to work, so haven't had any time to look at it or online yet.
I wish I could do without a newer car but my job requires us to have "reliable" vehicles and they need to be as safe as possible (air bags, air conditioner, heat, etc). Since we have to have clients in our cars (+ my client is 82 y/o).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:28 am 
Rogue

Crap.....Sorry... I didn't realize you HAD to have a newer vehicle for work....Let's just strike that comment from the record, shall we??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:35 am 
AMX

Preston77 wrote:
Crap.....Sorry... I didn't realize you HAD to have a newer vehicle for work....Let's just strike that comment from the record, shall we??

They probably wouldn't care too much on how old it was but all the safety features would need to work (I am sure no matter what, if I got into an accident I'd get sued)... I still carry full coverage insurance for this reason on the Loser just in case. It sucks but it's mainly to cover my ass as much as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:45 am 
Rogue

I got ya....You can't be too careful when you're responsible for the well being of others.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 pm 
AMX

Ok, so at work another PT Loser owner mentions how there was a puddle where my car was parked last weekend and asked me if mine was leaking oil. Now let me mention- the parking lot is covered with the usual markings of others marking their territories for no telling how many years (fresh, old, etc.). I said that it shouldn't be but I haven't checked it lately. Just had an oil change on June 15.
So I get off work, go out to look under it... sure enough there's a puddle.
Check the oil and it's L-O-W. Have a quart in back, throw that down the Loser's gullet. And head to autozone for more oil and to see if they know what the "engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage" exactly is. Of course, he asks me for the code instead and his computer says: -low oil -engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage.
With me standing there with 4 quarts of oil in my hands, he asks me if it's low on oil :roll:
I tell him it is leaking thus the oil.
He says it's an oil pressure switch and that a bad one can cause it to leak.
Buy one for $13, throw another quart down the Loser's gullet and head home.
Now waiting on the engine to cool down before trying to replace it.
I say "try to replace it" cause if one has seen under the hood of a Loser they would know why. Horribly cramped!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:43 pm 
Hornet

not positive on the losers, but I have done a few of those switches on the 2.0 engines. (Im going to assume that's whats in yours?) it is sometimes easier to get to them from under the car. good luck.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:47 pm 
AMX

IIRC, it has the 2.4L
I don't really keep up with specs on the Loser as I am just not into it (it's just my commuter) or most 4cyl cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:13 pm 
Eagle

Mud wrote:
Ok, so at work another PT Loser owner mentions how there was a puddle where my car was parked last weekend and asked me if mine was leaking oil. Now let me mention- the parking lot is covered with the usual markings of others marking their territories for no telling how many years (fresh, old, etc.). I said that it shouldn't be but I haven't checked it lately. Just had an oil change on June 15.
So I get off work, go out to look under it... sure enough there's a puddle.
Check the oil and it's L-O-W. Have a quart in back, throw that down the Loser's gullet. And head to autozone for more oil and to see if they know what the "engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage" exactly is. Of course, he asks me for the code instead and his computer says: -low oil -engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage.
With me standing there with 4 quarts of oil in my hands, he asks me if it's low on oil :roll:
I tell him it is leaking thus the oil.
He says it's an oil pressure switch and that a bad one can cause it to leak.
Buy one for $13, throw another quart down the Loser's gullet and head home.
Now waiting on the engine to cool down before trying to replace it.
I say "try to replace it" cause if one has seen under the hood of a Loser they would know why. Horribly cramped!

ive seen the under the hood of one of those things, as well as drove it. I absolutely hated it. but then again I don't like many diamlerchrysler products.