It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 pm 
AMX

No AMC work today... to damn pissed at the rear diff.
So anyways, instead did some MUCH needed cleaning up of a storage shed.
Some of you probably remember (or maybe I haven't mentioned it anywhere at all?? idk) that where I live is my late fathers place.
During the cleaning ran across things I have never seen before and know nothing about.
Ran across a (looks-to-be) complete but torn down engine.

From a little bit of research I found out it is possibly a Mitsubishi 4g54 2.6L 4cyl. Astron w/ jet valves
SOHC eight-valve (also known as the G54B)

Now I must mention my dad worked on about everything from his own vehicles, to other peoples rides, to mowers, weedeaters... well anything with an engine (God, how I wish he was around).
In the past I know he had a 1987 Mazda (not sure of model) 4x4 5spd truck, a 2wd Mazda (again not sure of model or year) truck, and even found an old title to a 1983 Plymouth Sapporo... of which the engine might possibly came out of any one of these :?: who knows *shrug*. I have seen the applications list on Wikipedia. So far I have also seen that it is popular as a swap into a Mitsubishi Starion. I have seen a few prices thrown around on these but really don't know what it's worth or what I should ask for it. Don't want to rip people off but don't want to be ripped off either (I Always need Eagle money :lol:)

Not to mention ran across 3 Briggs & Stratton engines, a Tecumseh engine block, fan shrouds, an 80's car stereo, an old mph/odo cluster, lots of bits of this and that, etc. And again only god knows what all they came from and/or are for.

Attachments:
E1.jpg
E1.jpg [ 440.83 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]
E18.jpg
E18.jpg [ 421.81 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]
E3.jpg
E3.jpg [ 514.9 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 pm 
Pacer

It looks pretty much like a Starion 4l. rebuilt those engines are fuckin SWAG in a Dodge Raider / Mitsubishi Pajero. If I remember correctly some early Dodge vehicles used them as well.

I'd clean it, rebuild it and sell it. Probably get a big piece of change out of it, especially if you promote it on some offroad sites that have the Raider/Pajero owners on it. That engine is a HUGE favorite swap of the owners of said vehicles. Once rebuilt it's supposed to be rock solid.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 am 
AMX

That's some good news.
Though I am not sure if I want to (or have the time to) rebuild it. I have been trying to find out what kind of prices these go for both as it is and rebuilt. Then would need to see what the cost of a rebuild is and whatnot and see which route is better to take.
As I said I don't want to rip anyone off but I don't want to be ripped off either... and I could always use Eagle money or I should probably say the Eagle could always use the money :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:06 am 
Eagle

I worked in a Briggs & Stratton factory in Rolla, MO when I finished my first year of college. Worked the graveyard shift and met some interesting folk! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 am 
Hornet

It most likely came out of the Sapporo. If the head isn't cracked, it's worth a few bucks. (New bare head was $400 when I looked for one for my son's ex-GF's Dodge Raider) If it is, $100 core. IIRC the crank was different auto vs stick. At least the early years. I swapped a few automatic ones that kacked with Dodge 318s and one fuel injected V6 (never finished that one as I didn't have the internet to learn how)