It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: A topic close to me
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:26 am 
AMX

regalwizard wrote:
^ BINGO! Stop & look at how we were raised (I'm 29, I grew up playing in the woods with our dogs, climbing trees, going for bicycle rides with friends, etc), & look how the teens of today have been raised - in front of a damn screen. I try not to be one of those childless people that berates parents on "how they should be raising their child", especially since I know damn well each kid is different; what worked on me never phased my little sister, & visa versa. I WILL, however, say that these kids should actually be raised by a person, not a snack & a tv screen! Parents say they've no time to raise their kids, & can't afford daycare (if it even exists in their area)? Ok, how about all those older retired & semi-retired folk, the ones who no long have a job, but can't really afford to go anywhere nor do anything? Kids, meet "grandpa/grandma" - go have fun, we'll see you after work. Kids get actual people time, the older generation don't get so abandoned.

That's about how it went for me. When I was a wee little one, a few cousins and I got dropped off at the grandparents house every day that our parents went to work. I got spankings when I needed them, though I didn't get many because I learned right from wrong very quickly. I played outside, enjoyed being outside more than indoors (horseback riding, walks in the woods, riding a bike, etc.), when I got in trouble I got that taken away which was a huge deal to me, so it didn't happen often either.
Kids now-a-days would rather be inside. And society doesn't like (or want) parents spanking their kids. And that is part of the problem, along with people spoiling kids. A reasonable spanking isn't going to hurt them, may hurt their feelings for a bit. I say reasonable only because there is a point where some people take it too far.
Growing up, I had a friend that his mother would starve him. Lock him in a closet or the garage for days. She was eventually found out and he was taken (a 6th grader at the time and iirc he weighed 60lbs.)
Another friend, her parents would beat her for next-to-nothing. She eventually started running away and when she was found she was sent to the psychiatric hospital.
And to throw a 180* in this, both parents were active in their church.

I have always thought along the lines that Bill stated, "an eye for an eye" the punishment should fit the crime. There should be no tolerance for murderer's, rapists, child molesters, abuser's, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad to see we're all on the same page here, I too grew up outside, video games were becoming just good enough to be popular (I'm 30), but not everyone had them. I lived (still do) in a neighborhood with eyes everywhere, anything I did out of line not in mom's direct line of vision, always got back to mom somehow, lol. I payed for it, happy I did. Main thing I see, kids aren't learning from their mistakes because the punishment doesn't fit the crime, this will just carry on into later life. I've seen it in a few of the kids I grew up along side, even called friends at one time or another, they had free for all type upbringing, only now to find themselves locked away in prison.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:12 pm 
Eagle

We had a creek, sticks and dirt clods.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

What more could a kid ask for? Add a bicycle to that, change the creek to a swamp, and that's what I based childhood on, lol.