AMC Evolution AMC Eagle Forums
http://forums.amcevolution.com/

Hello from Russia
http://forums.amcevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1568
Page 1 of 3

Author:  uncle_asa [ Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Hello from Russia

Recently bought AMC Eagle Wagon Limited 1987 which are pretty rare in Russia. That was in amazing body condition (the only rust place I found is above exhaust silencer about 2" wide), so I decided I want that one regardless of the drivetrain/transmission/suspension condition :) So, here is my new baby (I was lucky to make a picture without bears drinking vodka and playing balalayka in the background :lol: ):
Image

The good thing it looks it wasn't daily driver but rather drived on weekends or even rare because of cars in Moscow usually get rusted in 5 years or so due to use of salt and other chemicals in winter. The bad thing previous owner had no access to original parts and either not replaced them at all (which is fine for me, so I just need to replace ball joints, shocks, etc.) or made some strange modifications (can't understand how to assemble all those vacuum lines back).

I ordered TSM for the past years, but while it get delivered can someone please look on photos taken from underhood and explain if I could assemble some vacuum back without the need to order some parts and what functions do I miss due to the disconnect of that lines. I looked at the wiki (here: http://wiki.amcevolution.com/index.php/ ... ine_Vacuum ), but it looks I have totally different vacuum control.

Air intake: both TAC and Evap System motors were not connected. Yesterday I connected Evap System motor to the constant vacuum at the other end of brakes booster connector (I did not found anything similar to R/Delay valves, so they either thrown out or not used on my year):
Image
BTW, it also shows 3 ports canister (not 4 that I found on all schematics) if I identify it correctly.

Then I found 2 ports EGR CTO connected to itself, EGR valve disconnected, blocked port on the other side of brake booster (which I used to activate Evap System motor) and metal tube that goes to the firewall side (not sure what is it, probably SOF and transfer control which is not working?)
Image
I also found two free ports on the rear of air filter box that connected to some sensor/valve (?) installed in the air box body. Cannot find anything similar to Idle/Decel Switch.

Author:  thereverendbill [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

Welcome to Evo!!! That's a really nice and complete eagle you have

Author:  IowaEagle [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

Welcome to the AMC Eagle EVO forum Uncle Asa. The 4th vacuum reservoir, if it looks like a metal can on the passenger side firewall is probably for the cruise control. It also appears the one metal line that is not connected is the fuel return line.

Author:  nmwoody [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

Good looking eagle!

Author:  uncle_asa [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

IowaEagle wrote:
Welcome to the AMC Eagle EVO forum Uncle Asa. The 4th vacuum reservoir, if it looks like a metal can on the passenger side firewall is probably for the cruise control. It also appears the one metal line that is not connected is the fuel return line.

I think I don't have cruise control, at least I don't see any obvious controls for it.

Here are some more pics in my Picasa album: https://picasaweb.google.com/1106766125 ... 2/AMCEagle

BTW, there's another issue: as I driving, my fuel gauge constantly jumping within 1/4 of scale limit. Is there any known issue with it or do I have something specific that I need to find and fix by myself?

Author:  1985amceagle [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

Welcome to Evo! Chef the turn signal lever for the cruise control switch, there should be a switch there if it has cruise, and no switch if it dosent.

Author:  carnuck [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

Здравствуйте. Добро пожаловать в сумасшедший дом! or so says google translate. (I didn't learn to write it, but I spoke Russian with my grandparents on my mother's side as a child, then Dutch with my aunts, French (because of Quebec), English for grade school and at home then some Hindi and lately Spanish and Portuguese.
The jumping gauge is a known issue and most just live with it. The first thing I see in photo number 1 is the round vacuum ports on the air cleaner. It MUST be hooked directly to manifold vacuum or made so it stays open or the flap will shut off all the air the motor needs to breath. The second one is not as important except in cold, wet weather when it draws warm air in to keep the carb from icing up.
The first thing to do is make sure the carb body screws aren't loose (with the air cleaner off, see if you can twist the body) It shouldn't move and needs the screws tightened first before other issues are tackled. If this was an export car (the fuel filter I see looks like it is) you might not have the stepper motor on the back of the carb. Has the Kremlin ordered emission tests yet? ;)

Author:  uncle_asa [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

carnuck wrote:
Здравствуйте. Добро пожаловать в сумасшедший дом!

Once I bought Isuzu I'm permanent resident there :)

carnuck wrote:
or so says google translate. (I didn't learn to write it, but I spoke Russian with my grandparents on my mother's side as a child, then Dutch with my aunts, French (because of Quebec), English for grade school and at home then some Hindi and lately Spanish and Portuguese.

Wow! It was always hard for me to learn new languages, especially grammar of foreign languages.

carnuck wrote:
The jumping gauge is a known issue and most just live with it. The first thing I see in photo number 1 is the round vacuum ports on the air cleaner. It MUST be hooked directly to manifold vacuum or made so it stays open or the flap will shut off all the air the motor needs to breath. The second one is not as important except in cold, wet weather when it draws warm air in to keep the carb from icing up.

Then I did it correctly with first one, though I'm not sure what was the original idea in using this flap at all? Is it intended to purge Evap canister at startup?
I guess the second might be routed via ports on the back of air cleaner (there's some Ford valve IIRC), though not sure.

carnuck wrote:
The first thing to do is make sure the carb body screws aren't loose (with the air cleaner off, see if you can twist the body) It shouldn't move and needs the screws tightened first before other issues are tackled. If this was an export car (the fuel filter I see looks like it is) you might not have the stepper motor on the back of the carb. Has the Kremlin ordered emission tests yet? ;)

Thanks for the tip, I will try to twist it.
In the latest registration papers there's a field "Ecology class" but it filled with "No data" :lol: I believe current restrictions on yearly tests are equal to Euro-0 limits, so they could be easily passed.

Author:  carnuck [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

originally it was to keep the vapors in by the carb

Author:  Shagg [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello from Russia

Welcome to AMC Evo! 8-)

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/