It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Voting for October RotM. Make your pick:
Poll ended at Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:28 am
Whuntmore 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
jvlnnut 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
casper 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Baskinator 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Voting for October RotM
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 am 
Eagle

WHUNTMORE
On Sept 30th, 2010 I received an email from a Calgary member (Of the Eagle’s Nest) saying he was giving away a 1986 American Motors Eagle - If we could remove it from his property asap. The deadline was the next day (Oct 1st) by 4 pm. (actually, today is it's 3rd year anniversary)

If not, it was going to the junk yard.

The next day (a Friday) I found out that there was a lien on the car. I called the company and it had already been repossessed and auctioned off, and that the info wasn’t updated. The bondsman told me it was now updated, and the car had a clear title. I got the needed paperwork to move it (temp moving license, Ins.) and she was mine.

my heart was on a 4 door, but this fell into my lap.

I actually had to do alot of plastic welding (as I wasn't collecting spare parts) and some minor body work, as with brakes, front end, swapped the hatch from my donor car, new gas tank, windshield, and other repairs and other various parts changing to get it to pass safety.

Then I got the bypass, ignition upgrade, and carb done. burns less fuel.

I haven't driven it much as the issue with the brakes kept me away (resolved now.)

In spring of this year, one other member parted out his eagle, and he had gathered several new parts, and some re-conditioned parts for his eagle. I got most of them. Remaned steering box, all new leafs, and coils, all new ball joints, steering, control arms, struts, bushings... because I also want the car to run and drive like it should.

I bought a 242 TC, and a 4speed w/OD tranny from a 88 XJ I hope to have in it someday soon. I'm also hoping to get a 4.0 HO, and a LSD rear end.

I want to have all the body work resolved (most of it is minor) and coated for bad weather. I want to be able to drive this thru flooding, rain, deep snow, and maybe some light off-road.

I also want to someday take this car cross-country. Maybe up to Alaska, or at least 'North of Sixty'. Maybe even down to the USA.

JVLNNUT
My SX\4 bought from a couple of brothers who worked for AMC they were going to race the car in The Carrera Rally race but ran out of funds and never raced the car. I bought with 47000 miles on the car. I have added a 4.0 head. Removed the four speed installed a 5 Speed. Swapped out the 129 transfer case for a 229 unit. Installed a tach from a Ford PU in the stock location. added am fm radio and air shocks.Jeep Cherokee wheels.

Photo with my son-in-laws Eagle

CASPER
bought in sept 2010 for $125. bone stock. and not much left of the interior. new carpet, '03 jeep gc seats (to tall and still need something else) new clutch hydraulics, brakes ect. to get it running for winter driving. it then went thru a few stages. now it has a 93 xj 4.0 with 2150, 229 t-case, none disconnect front axle with 3.08 gears front/rear, stock t4 trans (looking for a t5), factory load leveling system installed, trailer hitch, kick ass sound system, ford pickup tack installed in dash, smogectomy, 2" lift and sporting 215/75/15 toyo a/t's.

BASKINATOR
Alright then... this was my Eagle when I trailered it home June 2011. Had no brakes, barely started, ran, or shifted, and had rust through the floors, seat mounts, and frame. These were the major issues among probably hundreds of other small problems. Not only was it a big project, but I had never even worked on a car by myself before and didn't know a thing about them other than reading on the internet/AMC Eagle Nest or watching how-to videos.

I quickly got to work, which was mainly done under this E-Z up tarp for 2 summers. No garage and only a growing selection of tools on a college budget. Most were acquired at auction lol.
Close call!

Here's some of the work I've done:

-Fabbed and welded/riveted floors, frame, and seat mounts
-Rust proofed entire inside floor, replaced carpet and lower seat tracks also
-Replaced every single item in the brake system except for the pedal and combination valve
-All new hard fuel lines and rubber hoses
-replaced tail light housings, hatch struts, door handle(s) and cleaned all latches
-Aluminum CJ radiator swap
-rebuilt Carter carb
-Motorcraft ignition upgrade
-Upper/Lower Ball joints, Tie rods, Sway bar links/bushings, coil springs, spring mounts, steering knuckles, shocks front and rear, leaf springs/bushings, strut rod bushings, and more...
-All new fluids, belts, bulbs, etc.
-Sub-$100 Rustoleum paint job with HVLP spray gun, bondo for small dents and a little bit of body welding/fab work
-new heater core and blower motor
-new exhaust from cat to magnaflow glasspack muffler, as well as welded a hole at front pipe.
-all new u-joints, painted and lubed driveshafts
-remote transmission filter, external cooler, new lines, kickdown linkage, internal filter, drain plug, and shift kit
-new starter, battery, cables, manual solenoid, alternator
-new painted wheels and General Grabber A/T2 Tires
-added an auxiliary port to the stock am/fm radio
-installed rear sway bar from an Eagle wagon
-cheap set of fog lights from auction

About 90-95% of the physical work was done myself, but Dave Spillane (captspillane) was a HUGE help with parts, resources, and knowledge after the first summer. All the forums were an excellent resource as well. I got her to pass PA inspection a year ago and just recently passed inspection for a second year on the road. Put around 10,000 miles on so far.

These are the best pictures I have of her now, before and after the painted trim was installed. Still many plans for when I go back home, including 4.0 head swap, GM TBI, 3.08 gears, and NP242.

Last edited by Prafeston on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 am 
Eagle

Just 3.5 more days of voting left! Get your votes in before the end of the month!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:22 pm 
Pacer

Hard to decide! They're all sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 pm 
Hornet

haven't heard an update, but im guessing baskinator won this month??

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:44 pm 
Eagle

Whoops! Yeah forgot about this! Congrats Baskinator!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]