It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:52 pm 
Pacer

Thought I'd spark up a thread for alternative replacement parts. Over time I'll edit the main post to make searching for that odd part simple.

So here's the list :

Suspension :

- CV joints from 1984 and up S10 fit, and are a bit longer.
- Springs from Javelin fit for a 2" lift over stock
- XJ leafs fit
- 2 Wheel drive upper control arms give a 2" lift (waiting for confirmation on drive quality changes)

Drivetrain/Engine :

- 727 (AMC) transmission will fit into the Eagle with a minor bend to the dipstick line. Tougher than the stock, and more of a truck like drive
- Mechanical Carter as a alternative to the Carter BBD and Motorcraft 2100. Works excellent, easy to find to boot.
-

Body/Interior :

- Sun Visors : iirc, many Chevrolets had similar that should fit. Checked it at a junkyard, appeared VERY similar but forgot to pull it out.
"

Misc :

- Parking brake equalizer : Jeep CJ a close fit. Dodge Journey also. Other Dodge/Chrysler share the same equalizer.
- Door handles : Jeep fit, and are tougher.
- Ignition/door locks : Older GM fit
- Wiper arms from Cherokees (J-shaped). Model year to be confirmed - 1997 for J-hook style.

Last edited by Nightpath on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:14 am 
Eagle

You may want to specify a 727 configured for AMC.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 am 
Eagle

I don't recall the years but Cherokee wiper arms can replace ours...and they have the more convenient J hook style wiper adapter. The stab style from the Eagle can be a pain in the butt! I think it was like '95+ Cherokees.

Last edited by Prafeston on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 am 
Pacer

Prafeston wrote:
I don't recall the years but Cherokee wiper arms can replace ours...and they have the more convenient J hook style wiper adapter. The stab style from the Eagle can be a pain in the but! I think it was like '95+ Cherokees.

I know what you mean there. Just did BlackBird's a few weeks ago. Found some laying in my toolbox that were the right size. Almost thought I was gonna break the arm on one trying to get it loose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 am 
Eagle

I was just checking out batteries and Group 56's are starting to be discontinued by many makers. They say the replacement number is now Group 55. I also have done some research and it still seems the readily available Group 24, which is a bit less money than the 55's will also work. AMC used to use 24's and I wonder if they switched to 56's with the advent of the Pacer so the hood would clear the terminals? 24's come with two different terminal placements so you need to make sure the positive terminal is correctly oriented to the starter relay.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 am 
Eagle

Pat wrote:
Prafeston wrote:
I don't recall the years but Cherokee wiper arms can replace ours...and they have the more convenient J hook style wiper adapter. The stab style from the Eagle can be a pain in the but! I think it was like '95+ Cherokees.

I know what you mean there. Just did BlackBird's a few weeks ago. Found some laying in my toolbox that were the right size. Almost thought I was gonna break the arm on one trying to get it loose.

Yeah, I bought some wipers when I had TQ and I asked the O'Reilly's guy several times if they would for sure work on my car and he said yes. I spent nearly 10 minutes in the parking lot trying to get them to clip on properly and I never could. When I tried using them they would flip over on their sides and I imagine if I tried using them at speeds they would have just flown right off! I purchased the Cherokee ones from a JY and the wipers I had bought easily snapped into the J Hooks and I was very happy with the "upgrade". I highly suggest it for our Eagles.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Prafeston wrote:
Pat wrote:
Prafeston wrote:

Yeah, I bought some wipers when I had TQ and I asked the O'Reilly's guy several times if they would for sure work on my car and he said yes. I spent nearly 10 minutes in the parking lot trying to get them to clip on properly and I never could. When I tried using them they would flip over on their sides and I imagine if I tried using them at speeds they would have just flown right off! I purchased the Cherokee ones from a JY and the wipers I had bought easily snapped into the J Hooks and I was very happy with the "upgrade". I highly suggest it for our Eagles.

Any cherokee arm will fit, J hooks started in 1997 I do believe. Even the earlier ones are a nice up grade with the post mount, but more importantly, the chero arms have a slide lock, as opposed to the eagle's spring lock. This makes removal easier, and pretty much eliminates the risk of an arm flying off in a rain storm (happened to me on the sx).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:15 am 
Rebel

also the 2wheel drive uper control arms give a 2in lift!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:45 am 
Pacer

max98059 wrote:
also the 2wheel drive upper control arms give a 2in lift!!!!!!

But is that a usable lift w/o change to how it drives.
I saw this mentioned on the nest but didn't want to stress something.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:53 pm 
Javelin

You guys will love this retrofit. I'm totally serious.

I'm making remote clutch master cylinder resevoirs from newborn baby bottles.

Twice now I've broken down when the clutch stopped working while I was driving because the plastic tube style clutch resevior split open. The first time I had the parts and tools to fix it on the side of the road and the second time in a different SX4 I had the tube totally split open and die as I pulled up to a stop in my driveway after a three hour commute. I was so frickin' lucky that day.

There is a rare factory solution if you can find one. All four cylinder Eagles had a really nice remote resevoir with a lid and I own two factory 1981 6 cylinder Eagles that had them from the factory, but as a general rule all 6 cylinder stickshift Eagles do not have them. They have a piece of plastic tube instead. The plastic tube is very brittle and it holds a very small volume of oil, so any leak at all or just normal low levels will let air suck into your system and diminish your clutch pedal. It is a big reliability issue if you own a stickshift 6 cylinder Eagle.

I searched for an alternative resevoir and only found a Wilwood plastic resevoir that is stupid expensive and a CNC machined version intended for rat rods that is even more stupid expensive. I actually already have two of the Wilwood ones, and I never found all the brass fittings needed to join the nipple at the bottom to the 3/16" double flare brake hose our Clutch Cylinders need. The quality of the plastic and size of the Wilwood resevior is poor. It doesn't fit well, looks terrible, looks cheap, costs about $150, and requires a hodgepodge of fittings to work.

I considered taking a Thermos soup bottle and using that, but the venting issue stopped me. The lid on the factory resevoir has a rubber diagphragm that lifts and sinks along with the fluid level. It also seems to vent air as needed without having a hole to spill oil from. It works similar to the rubber lined lids on the brake master cylinder. The stupid tube resevoir vented used the plastic vent you'll also find at the top of the front axle vent that all AMC Eagles had.

I'm going to use a baby bottle. For $8 to $12 I can get a baby bottle with a nice lid and very high quality plastic intended to keep baby formula safe. I trust that plastic to resist long term exposure to oil. They are clear with ounces marked on the side so reading the level will be better than the original factory units. It is easy to get a brake fitting that will clamp on to a simple hole drilled on the bottom to match up the proper brake line the master cylinder needs. A huge selection of brands available offers some with clean, basic straight cylinder dimensions that will look appropriate.

Having a baby bottle nipple visible under my hood would suck, but I'll be able to paint the inside of the lid so that it won't be visible. The nipple will be able to rise and sink with the fluid level exactly like a brake master cylinder lid. It will also have the anti-colic vent and nipple hole itself that will vent with extreme changes in fluid level while still sealing the oil effectively, just like how the factory resevoir had rubber over vent holes in the lid. Perfect!