It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:24 pm 
Eagle

captspillane wrote:
I just contacted a spring guy who makes and compiles heavy duty springs for tractor trailors, dump trucks, and other heavy truck. We met in person a couple days ago and I gave him a series 30 and a series 50 Eagle leaf spring. He promised me a trial set of leafs this week to install on Drock87's station wagon and my own current projects.

He has access to very low prices on leaf spring supplies, hardware, and coil springs. In another post I had a list of AMC coil spring part numbers that I was actually putting together to submit to him. I gave it to him and he is searching for wholesale prices and maybe a direct manufacturing link to provide all of those front coils. He also makes his own U-bolts there in the shop and has a huge stockpile of grade 8 bolts.

His website also has Jeeps and half ton trucks too. He's researching putting together a custom rear leaf spring for me built to XJ load specs but with the proper Eagle dimensions. To put it in perspective, I believe the load rate from an XJ is 490 compared to 435 on the Eagle station wagon.

I want about a 20% to 25% increase in load capacity. I also want to eliminate the common fatigue points in SX4 leaf springs. I've seen a consistant leaf spring problem and failure point in all the SX4s I've encountered. Both the station wagon and SX4 leafs I'm getting made will have a heavier and longer second leaf to better support the top leaf.

I'm pretty excited about this development and hope to have all this worked out this month before the completion of the repairs to Drock87's wagon.

That would be great. A supplier of new leaf springs that won't sag after 6 months.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:29 pm 
Pacer

Shipping would be a killer
Here's where I'm going to get springs if I need them I think.. http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_AMC_s/1957.htm

Any thoughts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:37 pm 
Javelin

I know I have a few tags still intact. I'll look around and see if I can find some. Any idea how to interpret the information?

If they are AMC part numbers we would then need to find a list of the possible AMC part numbers.

I've been meaning to measure the bar length between two sides of the same Eagle to confirm or deny their difference in height to compensate for the offset of the engine. I may just trim down one of each pair before installation if I can measure an appreciable difference in height on this next install. I have a hunch that the difference is too small to bother worrying about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:40 pm 
Pacer

captspillane wrote:
I know I have a few tags still intact. I'll look around and see if I can find some. Any idea how to interpret the information?

If they are AMC part numbers we would then need to find a list of the possible AMC part numbers.

I've been meaning to measure the bar length between two sides of the same Eagle to confirm or deny their difference in height to compensate for the offset of the engine. I may just trim down one of each pair before installation if I can measure an appreciable difference in height on this next install. I have a hunch that the difference is too small to bother worrying about.

http://www.coilsprings.com/ here in Kansas wanted the tag #'s and they could make springs.. They have all sorts of books and things.

If you had a way to check with them directly you'd probably be a better person to contact them. But I'd love to do it if I had information to give them. I'd just need to know what they came off of and what tag was off of what side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:44 pm 
Javelin

Doug wrote:
I think we can get coil overs for the front too.

A guy on the nest installed coil overs on the front using a few washers and longer bolts. I got the part number from him by PM and have a pair sitting at home for installation. They are Monroe Sensatrac shocks exactly like the ones I buy for the rear, except a much smaller diameter and much shorter to fit in the front. I got them from Rockauto and it said it was for the rear of a Chevy car.

Front Monroe coil overs: Part number 58270, $47.70 a pair when I got them. I also got a pair for the rear (part number 58510) at $59.79 and both pairs together cost $8.87 shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 pm 
Rogue

captspillane wrote:
I want about a 20% to 25% increase in load capacity. I also want to eliminate the common fatigue points in SX4 leaf springs. I've seen a consistant leaf spring problem and failure point in all the SX4s I've encountered. Both the station wagon and SX4 leafs I'm getting made will have a heavier and longer second leaf to better support the top leaf.

When one of my leaf springs broke on my SX4, it was the main leaf right next to the axle tube. It wasn't the "common" spot where the second leaf fails to overlap. I can snap a picture if interested.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:08 am 
Javelin

yea on mine I am going to add the tow setup to it & it has air shocks were it is not set for tow. You are going to need engine & transmission coolers for towing to. I am going to go with the Monroe Sensatrac shocks for towing for the rear & looking to go 80's jeep cherokee leaf springs an stuff on the rear an go monroe heavy duty for the front that will help it.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L engine 4WD
2000 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Convertible V8
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder 5 speed