It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Heavier suspension
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:39 am 
Pacer

So, taken from various sites/posts there was:

optional heavy duty suspension, with a heavier front roll bar (going from 0.94” to 1.06” diameter), a 0.63” rear roll bar, different front shocks, and thicker rear leaves for the leaf-spring rear suspension.

Now, do we have the info for this? Because I can't find it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 am 
Eagle

I don't believe we have it all in one spot. Which is something we should have. I know I am not really happy with air shocks. Yes, the brought the azz end up but the ride quality is terrible on a short wheel base car. An extra leaf and coil over shocks for the rear is probably the best solution.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:01 am 
Pacer

ahhh, great to know. does the thicker sway bar help, or hinder?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 am 
Eagle

It might with cornering. Although I have never had much of a problem with that. When I do the restification I am seriously going to consider coil overs and an add a leaf to the rear. I think we can get coil overs for the front too, but I have newer standard shocks up front and really have not had any issues.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 am 
Pacer

Doug wrote:
It might with cornering. Although I have never had much of a problem with that. When I do the restification I am seriously going to consider coil overs and an add a leaf to the rear. I think we can get coil overs for the front too, but I have newer standard shocks up front and really have not had any issues.

When you get a chance to post the info, I'd like to see it. No rush though. :blazin:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 am 
Eagle

It will be a while. I need to get the interior out to see how much sheet metal needs replacing. I want to get it down to the local welding shop (Javelin owner) to see about subframe connectors. I am glad he is AMC friendly and won't give me a bunch of crap about not being able to do it.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am 
Rebel

there is none amc friendly shops out there? :wtf: do u know what i find hard is to find a shop willing to work on a experimental airplane!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am 
Javelin

I just contacted a spring guy who makes and compiles heavy duty springs for tractor trailors, dump trucks, and other heavy truck. We met in person a couple days ago and I gave him a series 30 and a series 50 Eagle leaf spring. He promised me a trial set of leafs this week to install on Drock87's station wagon and my own current projects.

He has access to very low prices on leaf spring supplies, hardware, and coil springs. In another post I had a list of AMC coil spring part numbers that I was actually putting together to submit to him. I gave it to him and he is searching for wholesale prices and maybe a direct manufacturing link to provide all of those front coils. He also makes his own U-bolts there in the shop and has a huge stockpile of grade 8 bolts.

His website also has Jeeps and half ton trucks too. He's researching putting together a custom rear leaf spring for me built to XJ load specs but with the proper Eagle dimensions. To put it in perspective, I believe the load rate from an XJ is 490 compared to 435 on the Eagle station wagon.

I want about a 20% to 25% increase in load capacity. I also want to eliminate the common fatigue points in SX4 leaf springs. I've seen a consistant leaf spring problem and failure point in all the SX4s I've encountered. Both the station wagon and SX4 leafs I'm getting made will have a heavier and longer second leaf to better support the top leaf.

I'm pretty excited about this development and hope to have all this worked out this month before the completion of the repairs to Drock87's wagon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 am 
Pacer

Be great if he can get them to help provide a bit of the lift some of us need w/o the added cost places want to arch the springs.
Edit: captspillane if you can find in your pile of coils the ID tag on springs for left and right

Last edited by SpreadEagle on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 am 
Javelin

His U bolt making machine is pretty sweet. It also has interchangeable heads that let him re-arch huge Dump truck springs and of course anything smaller. He'd be able to change the arch on the springs for very little cost.

I personally would never arch a spring. Once you stiffen a tired old original spring back up to what it was supposed to be you will already look lifted. If I wanted further lift, I would get CJ7 lift shackles. They come much heavier than stock and also with greaseable bolts too.