It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:33 pm 
Metropolitan

I know i have this post somewhere else, but I want to start over again, the eagle sat all winter and now I'm back at it trying to get it to run again

Heres my issues

1.the battery won't charge, I removed the ALT, took it for a bench test, came back good.
2. Battery Light does not turn on with key on, (I don't think its blown, because it worked before, and then not work then work, ECT)
3. There are three wires on the ALT, the big red one to the battery, a small red one that goes to the same post the Big red wire goes, and a orange and black wire, that changes to a orange and white wire correct?

4. Starter questions, Is it normal for the car to not turn over, just hooked up with jumper cables? I didn't have a charged battery so i just hooked the posts up to jumper cables and jumped the solenoid and I could only hear the solenoid and the starter didn't run, Benched tested that, worked fine.

This wiring has kicked my :censored: for 3 years now, I really want to drive this thing.

finally Im changing my battery cables over to 2 gauge, where in the world do I get a 2 gauge crimp connected crimped? I don't have a big enough crimper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Battery needs to be in the equation for starting system to work. If the battery won't charge, you need to install one that will, then you can go about diagnosing the rest of your problems.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:15 pm 
Rogue

Wiring to your alternator should be as follows:

The large red wire to the battery goes on the stud at the back of the alternator. That wire may go to the battery side of the starter solenoid. If it does that's OK as long as there's a cable from the + side of the battery connected to the stud on the solenoid along with the wire from the back of the alternator.

Another, smaller, wire goes from the key switch through the no-charge light on the dash and to the #1 terminal on the alternator. This wire will be hot only when the key switch is on.

A third wire goes from the battery + connection to the #2 terminal on the alternator. This wire should be hot at all times.

These two wires should be in a two-way spade-type connector that pushes onto the two connections on the side of the alternator. If the plastic is broken or gone you can push the terminals onto the spades in the alternator one at a time. The #1 spade is closest to the battery stud.

I don't know why you would have two wires on the stud at the back of the alternator unless someone re-wired the circuit. Even if the intent was to tap into a 12 volt supply for an aftermarket accessory the alternator is not a good place to make that connection.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 pm 
Noob

hi, if your car has been sitting long enough, your battery may be too far gone to accept a charge. Get a new one.
To crimp 2 awg cable, either find a local machine shop or mechanic that can do this, or, go to Harbour Freight, they sell a hydraulic hand operated crimping tool for about $55. P/N 66150. i just got one, works well. good luck, gz