It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 87 4.0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:13 pm 
Eagle

have an 87 Comanche with a 4.0, factory aluminum valve cover, AW4 and 231 transfer case. the truck has a horrid oil leak from the rear of the engine bay. are these engines like the 258 as far as oil leaks go, and could it be from the rear main seal or valve cover, or did they add more places to leak oil out of, that I could check. I believe the truck has around 172000 miles on it, so it would not surprise me if the rear main was going out of it already. thanks for the info

Post subject: Re: 87 4.0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:35 pm 
Javelin

The engine is the same as the 258...valve cover, rear main,

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:25 pm 
Javelin

i never had a 4.0 leak like a 258 plastic though.

All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 pm 
Eagle

amchornet wrote:
The engine is the same as the 258...valve cover, rear main,

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, I haven't had a 4.0 out yet though.
mudkicker715 wrote:
i never had a 4.0 leak like a 258 plastic though.

It looks like a previous owner messed with the valve cover already. I think that will be the first stop in stopping the oil leak that this thing has. I wish Amc would have improved the rear main, but atleast they left the plastic valvecover off of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 pm 
Hornet

if that valvecover is the same as the later ones (like the 93 I have in my honeybadger sx4) don't screw around with anything other than a felpro permadry gasket. I have had customers want to cheap out, and I haven't had anything else that actually WORKS at keeping a DRY seal other than the permadry. clean both surfaces up, and if they are both flat and smooth, the permadry will keep it dry as a popcorn fart. if the rear seal is leaking, and as bad as you make it sound... and you split the engine/trans to replace it, plan on doing a speedy sleeve. a lot of the times when I have had to replace seals, its because of 2 reasons. #1, seal got hard from use of cheap oil, and NOT keeping up on oil changes. this is known by all the other sludge, and every other seal/gasket ect also leaking for same reason. hardend rubber. #2 reason is the rubber will actually cut grooves in the crank/cam ect what ever metal its sealing on. that's the reason for a speedy sleeve. thin metal sleeve you put over sealing surface, install seal. seal now has new surface to seal on.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:35 pm 
Hornet

First, make sure they didn't plug up all the breathers on the valve cover (take it off and look at the bottom for buildup from blowby) There needs to be a breather going in (originally to the hose to the throttle body. I bypassed mine as a road tube for awhile then ran through a cannister to catch the oil so the filter didn't get soaked) and the CCV (tiny plastic tube from cover to side of TB) gets clogged up as well (take off and clean with sensor safe carb/throttle body cleaner)
The 4.0L has another place aside from the rear seal it can leak from. The oil filter housing has an adapter that has 2 Oh rings that shrink over time and start leaking (mine need doing) Do these before going to the rear seal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:51 am 
Site Admin

If it is the rear main leaking, don't fret too much, they are pretty easy to do in manche/Cherokees. No need to remove or lift engine, just unbolt trackbar, shocks, and sway links. The axle will then swing low enough to sneak the oil pan out of the bottom (high jack stands required, lol).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:45 am 
Eagle

thanks for the info, cleaned the vacuum lines out, and it stopped pushing oil out for a while, but the leak came back, so will have to look at it again.