It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Timing chain play
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:44 am 
Metropolitan

Morten wrote:
Just started the engine up a couple days ago. Purrs like a kitten. The new sloppy chain is certainly keeping the timing more on target than the old sloppy chain. I also removed most of the unwanted vacuum, egr, and charcoal stuff. That may be helping as well. The engine has never run so smoothly as now. I'm satisfied.

Actually, it doesn't run so good now. It did at first, but not now when I'm trying to adjust the carb. I've tried various things found in forums, but can't get the car to idle.

I noticed that the choke didn't pull down all the way; there is about 1/4" of slop on the arm on the back of the choke. If I hold it down, the engine runs much better. If not held down, the cam for high idle comes in contact with the high idle screw.

I also noticed that the bolts on the manifold were looser than when the engine went back into the car, and tightening them might have eliminated some vacuum leakage. I plugged all vacuum ports on carb and manifold.

With carb on car, I removed the tubes down inside the carb and cleaned them; the looked fine before cleaning.

According to my repair manual, the timing should be set at 10btdc, though the sticker on the car says 14btdc. I've tried both.

Any ideas what to try next?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:36 pm 
Hornet

Did you nutter it yet?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 pm 
Metropolitan

It's an '80, and doesn't have the carb with the stepper motor. I looked at the wiring going to the distributor, and looks to me like the color wires the nutter bypass does is the way it already is in the stock configuration. Check me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:04 pm 
Hornet

Tighten ALL the manifold bolts (first), wiggle the connection on the ignition coil to make sure it has good contact. (I swap in a '77ish Dodge ignition coil with screw style contacts and double the spark myself) Ground wire to the body from the motor needs to be clean and tight.
Then try thumping the ignition box with a rubber mallet while it's running. If it dies, it's time for a new one. They act weird before they die sometimes.