It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:55 pm 
Javelin

I got my HEI distributor today. Instructions came with it, however they don't quite elaborate enough for me.

I have a yellow and a dark green wire that came off of the old coil, what do I do with these?

I have a 3 prong plug that I unplugged from the old distro, what do I do with that?

And I also have a two prong electrical connection to the new coil on the distributor that I need to fill. I'm assuming I use the same wires from the old coil on the new coil. However, which wire goes to which terminal?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:58 pm 
Metropolitan

A Chevy HEI with the coil in the cap? If that is the case the wires coming out of the distributor plug right into the cap. Then there is 2 spots next to where that plugs in. One needs a 12v (with key on) and the other is for your tach. They should be marked on the top of the cap which is which.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:15 pm 
Javelin

Cargasm wrote:
A Chevy HEI with the coil in the cap? If that is the case the wires coming out of the distributor plug right into the cap. Then there is 2 spots next to where that plugs in. One needs a 12v (with key on) and the other is for your tach. They should be marked on the top of the cap which is which.

Yes, it is the Chevy HEI, got it from Skip White. Do I just leave the 3 prong plug from the old distributor alone?

Is there any reason not to use the yellow wire from the old coil to power the new one?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 pm 
Rogue

On the original Motorcraft ignition there was a resistor wire going to the yellow wire. For an HEI (I believe) you need 12 volts directly from the switch. You would need to find the resistance section of the wiring and bypass it. :eagle:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:33 pm 
Javelin

eegelbeek wrote:
On the original Motorcraft ignition there was a resistor wire going to the yellow wire. For an HEI (I believe) you need 12 volts directly from the switch. You would need to find the resistance section of the wiring and bypass it. :eagle:

It read 12V when the key was on. However, it won't start. A lot of gas vapor belches out the carb when I try to start it, however it doesn't sound like it's firing at all. I'm fairly certain the plug wires are all correct, I checked twice, and I would assume the timing is on. Either way, regardless of changing the timing, it won't fire at all, not even backfire.

To anyone who has bought the skip white distributor, what did the coil contact on the inside of the cap look like? Mine is black and looks almost like it has a plastic coating. Is the power not actually coming from there on this distributor?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:48 pm 
Hornet

you can get rid of ALL your old ignition system wiring. the old power wire going to the coil should drop in voltage as the key is left on longer in some systems. you need a good 12 volts from your ignition switch. do you have a timing light? you need to have one. your timing is off just a bit, you wont hear a back fire or anything. its sparking with no compression, It wont make any noise. get a timing light, and set it up right.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:11 pm 
Javelin

casper wrote:
you can get rid of ALL your old ignition system wiring. the old power wire going to the coil should drop in voltage as the key is left on longer in some systems. you need a good 12 volts from your ignition switch. do you have a timing light? you need to have one. your timing is off just a bit, you wont hear a back fire or anything. its sparking with no compression, It wont make any noise. get a timing light, and set it up right.

Ah ok. I do have a timing light. So once I get it idling I'll do that..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 pm 
Pacer

I always just tap the yellow wire …. so far I'm 2/2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 pm 
Hornet

make sure the car is in park. set up a remote crank switch, and use your timing light while craning. it will tell you how incredibly far off you are while cranking. or if you even have a spark period.

82 eagle sw (rottywagon)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:36 pm 
Hornet

wow, cant look at bills picture to long. makes me wanna fall outta my recliner. :lmao: :cheers:

82 eagle sw (rottywagon)