It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:55 pm 
Javelin

So I've narrowed my starting issues down to the cold weather. My automatic choke seems to be doing a very poor job, and whether it's adjusted correctly is beyond me. When the car sits for a couple days and I go to start it in near freezing weather the car just won't start. Once it's been warmed up the car starts instantly, and it starts easier when the weather is warmer.

Could someone post pictures of a manual choke conversion they've done and possibly provide a link to a kit that is (hopefully) simple to install? I'd prefer something I could pick up at a local parts store like Advance, Napa, or AutoZone. I'm going home for Thanksgiving break on Tuesday and it would be nice to install one so I'm not left stranded when everyone else leaves :smh:

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:24 pm 
Javelin

I just found this one at Advance that's in stock, so it shouldn't be too bad to get and install. There's another one there with a different part number but I'm not sure what the difference is.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... conversion

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
Hornet

Measure the diameter of your choke cap. The one for an Edelbrock "should" be correct but I don't remember the number of the one I have (buried in my shop full of parts I will organize this winter).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hard to say but it sounds like you may have the choke too rich, on a stone cold engine, ste the choke, loosen the three screws on the retainer plate, while hold the throttle open ever so slightly, rotate the black cap until you see the choke flap open a little bit (apx 3/4 closed), try it there, manual chokes are a pain in the ass, but they do work in a pinch when all else fails.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 pm 
Javelin

Yes, I think I'll probably end up staying with the electric choke if I can get it to work. I know for sure I had it screwed up pretty bad. I had a hell of a day getting home.

My car wouldn't start this afternoon, so I tried propping the choke open with a screwdriver while I cranked. It still wouldn't start, so I pulled the screwdriver out and it seemed as if the spring came off the lever. I took the choke thermostat off and replaced it, but I did it totally wrong again. One screw will no longer tighten enough to hold the cover in place, so I'll have to grab a set off one of my other carbs.

I finally got it started when I remembered the starting fluid in my trunk and used the screwdriver on the choke again. It ran rough and I just left anyway. Three hours and a shitload of traffic later I was home, but that was not a fun ride. I was soaked from an hour of leaning over a frozen car in the rain, and I had no WOT power which certainly would've helped getting on some of those highways. I'll fix it tomorrow when I can put it in the dry garage.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:26 pm 
Hornet

Sounds like you set the choke too tightly closed. It's only needed to be closed to get the car running for maybe 30 seconds before opening. On my first wagon I got a manual choke cable for a Hyundai Stellar (not avail in the US) which has an electric switch to turn on a dash light. I wired it to the "check engine" light after removing the computer-carb junk.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:57 am 
Javelin

Yes, I fixed it and it's just tight enough that it's closed with the engine completely cold. I checked the voltage at the choke wire and it's getting about 13 volts which is in a good range. Not sure how well it's grounding to the carb, I wasn't getting any resistance between the connector and contact point. My pull-off is new and working correctly. I still have to use starting fluid every time I start it cold though, otherwise it will just crank and crank. Would filling with premium 92/93 octane gas help this, or would that not be good for the engine? I got terrible gas mileage on my way home, about 11 mpg highway.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:17 pm 
Rogue

I'm going to hijack this a little because I have a slightly different problem, but I think its related. Baskinator....do you have an MC carb or a Carter? One thing with my car that annoys the hell out of me is that the choke wants to stay engaged for what seems like forever in cold weather. I have to wait sometimes two minutes before it'll back off, and if I put it in gear and hit the gas, fast idle engages again! Annoying! My car has the opposite problem of Baskinators...it starts perfectly and quickly, but takes forever to back off of fast idle, then once its like at mid-temp, idles rough as hell (cold weather only). The idle is smooth when totally cold (just off fast idle) and smooths out once the engine is at full operating temperature.

Could our problems be related based a poorly adjusted choke? (Mine maybe too lean and his too rich?)

1985 AMC Eagle
1988 Lincoln Town Car

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:20 pm 
Hornet

You can add a new ground wire from the carb to the ring that holds the choke down.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:23 pm 
Hornet

drock87 wrote:
I'm going to hijack this a little because I have a slightly different problem, but I think its related. Baskinator....do you have an MC carb or a Carter? One thing with my car that annoys the hell out of me is that the choke wants to stay engaged for what seems like forever in cold weather. I have to wait sometimes two minutes before it'll back off, and if I put it in gear and hit the gas, fast idle engages again! Annoying! My car has the opposite problem of Baskinators...it starts perfectly and quickly, but takes forever to back off of fast idle, then once its like at mid-temp, idles rough as hell (cold weather only). The idle is smooth when totally cold (just off fast idle) and smooths out once the engine is at full operating temperature.

Could our problems be related based a poorly adjusted choke? (Mine maybe too lean and his too rich?)

You may have a slight vacuum leak too. Try backing the choke adjustment 1/4" and see how it works. This is of course after making cure the vacuum choke break is working. Some MCs have it under the airfilter (my preferred design) and it can be adjusted a bit there.