It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 4.0 swap crank sensor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:59 am 
Noob

I see there is lots of good info on here about doing the 4.0 swap into the eagles but I was wondering what most people were doing about the crank sensor if you use the stock trans
Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:57 am 
Pacer

I think from what I've seen it's Hesco relocation... What I was planning when I do it with EFI.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:29 pm 
Hornet

Either relocation kit, OR rebuild the trans with a '91 up YJ/TJ 999 case (I have one bare case for $75 from a '00 TJ with 4.0L the Eagle internals will fit into. It has the factory bolt in rear sprague) and use YJ torque converter and flexplate. The 999 stuff is stronger already and the Eagle 998 is marginal with the 4.2L so more power kills it sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:55 pm 
Noob

will the eagle transfer case work with a 999 case?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:29 pm 
Hornet

yes, IF you swap the Eagle 998 internals into it. The rear band was bigger than 904, converter neck is stronger (brazed version of 998 is the same) and the case has the hole for CPS and comes with a used sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:12 am 
Rogue

I've heard of some people putting a hole in their stock bellhousing to accommodate the CPS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 am 
Javelin

You can drill a hole and use the round style CPS, which can come in new or old voltage levels. I've also seen people slice a chunk out and weld in a new chunk from a donor transmission to accomplish it.

The Megasquirt system using the distributor for CPS, so you can use the Jeep 4.0 intake without a CPS if you run that system.

I personally prefer TBI now over MPI for most of my Eagles. With TBI you do not need a CPS. I only use MPI if I am installing a newer transmission at the same time. TBI is so close to MPI in performance it sometimes isn't worth the extra complexity. I also love the ability to hotswap a Carb in place of the TBI if need be. I'm setting up my daily driver to have a spare carb in the back in case anything in the TBI system fails during a trip, along with redundant supply lines for ease of swapping on the go.

My CJ8 has the Hesco CPS relocation kit. I'm not fond of it. It's very weak and expensive. Hesco even suggests you get their trail kit with a spare electric fuel pump and a space CPS reader head because of how often both get damaged.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:54 pm 
Hornet

tbi is NOWHERE near as beneficial as mpi. tbi isn't much more than basically an electronic carburetor. you still have a wet intake. tbi is not as precise and efficient as mpi. much less complex, yes. performance wise, unless your running a worn out motor, or something is way shitty in your mpi system, its night and day difference. mpg, throttle response, you name it. you also got to remember, if your going to "HOTSWAP" to a carb from your tbi, how do you plan to drop the fuel pressure easily?

do it CORRECTLY and mpi you wouldn't ever think of any tbi or carb again.

think about it, theres a reason the 258 was only rated at 112 hp and only 3 years later, with a ho 4.0 was rated at 190 hp. the torque numbers are insanely different also. a tbi would have been marginally better than a well tuned/running carter.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:33 am 
Pacer

renix all the way :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:22 am 
Javelin

The reason the 4.0 is stronger than the 4.2L is mostly the change in camshaft, and also the change in head design. With just those two things upgraded the 4.2L is then stronger because of the displacement. The only reason to stick with the 4.0 Block is because of stroker combinations.

If you can't afford or justify the cost of a transmission upgrade, you certainly can't justify the cost and complexity of MPI. I agree with you that MPI is better, but I certainly disagree at how much. The difference is too small to be noticeable in a daily driver. For those of us with Eagles we drive less than 5,000 miles per year it will take literally decades for the extra cost to be justified.

My CJ8, formely owned by the editors of JP Magazine in 2003-2005, had a Howell TBI system installed for 100 miles, then immediately had a Hesco MPI system installed for 100 miles on the same engine for comparison. The recorded difference in fuel mileage and performance was negligible.

Most of the difference came from the lack of spark control in the off the shelf Howell system, even though spark control can easily be added to it. My own kits will have it added. The TBI system provides a consistant fuel mixture and timing curves. There isn't much left to gain after those are squared away.

I will be plumbing in two different fuel lines for high pressure and low pressure so that the swap is limited to unbolting the TBI and bolting a carb on. On my Green SW I just pulled the kit to make copies of the adaptor. Even without lines plumbed in it only took me about an hour to switch back to carb. It's just a couple cable clamps to jump past the external fuel pump.