It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

The other night I mentioned my swap to a more sophisticated carburetor to be rid the car of the primitive motorcraft. Here's a few pics in case you don't recognize what I said.

Being pretty disgusted with the aftermarkets offerings of carburetor adaptors, going from a small (carter) 2bbl to a holly or MC pattern, I decided to made a transition plate. Basically this gives a smooth transition from the large carb, down to the small intake, no walls to obstuct flow. This is the under side, but it's basically what I started with (just a plate of 1/4 aluminum, with a carter throat pattern, and holly/MC base plate).

A little die grinder work, and you see the top side blended to make the transition.

Why do it? Just to see if I can. A quadrajet eqquiped 258 in an Eagle.

You may be saying, WTF is a quadrajet?!?!?!?!? In a nutshell, they are a carb that can be modified and tuned to run on almost any engine, with a few, or well, many various adjustments. This particular one was off a chevy 350, it's capable of flowing up to 800 cfm. With a few minor adjustments, jet, rod, hanger, spring tension, pump leverage adjustments, runs wonderfully on an I6.

* I still need to make a throttle spring bracket, the zip ties just get me by til then, lol.*

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:51 pm 
Eagle

look at that, shagg put a quadrajet on a 258 now. I had a feeling that was coming ever since one ended up on that 242

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

:lmao: What can I say, when I find something I actually like, it ends up on everything I own. HEI and Quadrajet, is my favorite combination. lol

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:08 pm 
Eagle

Shagg wrote:
:lmao: What can I say, when I find something I actually like, it ends up on everything I own. HEI and Quadrajet, is my favorite combination. lol

AMAZING!

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:09 pm 
Pacer

Sweet! How's it's performance over the MC?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Too early to tell, I definitely lost a little low end due to the stack of adapters, but, maybe with the addition of a real 4bbl intake, not only will the idle quality improve, the low end response should be second to none. This is basically just a test to see if I could tune the Q to run well on a 258, before spending the coin on a proper intake to open up a performance benefit. I can' really tune the WOT yet due to a botched belt system on the car, more on that on a later date, but lets just say, if I put too much load on it, it squeals like a pig, I can't stand it so I back off. Once that's taken care of, I'll put the boots to it and see what it can really do :twisted: . So far, Everything I hated about the MC, has been rectified by the Qjet.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

The evolution... Awesome job!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 pm 
Hornet

some day,i will actually get pics, video, and PROOF that a 500 cfm edelbrock works REALLY damned well on a 258!!! LOL i never think to actually get pics and video of it when im running the car. right now tho, im having a slight float problem from when i pulled the top off to fix the accelerator pump. float got bent up. but really, the edelbrock works real well. these avs type carbs work very well on these smaller c.i. cars. they wont hardly EVER have the secondaries open. im almost thinking about tossing that ededlbrock on honeybadger just to see what happens with that carb on a 4.0 with carbed intake!!!

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 am 
Pacer

quadrajets are pretty awesome carbs if you do any sort of offroading. The ONLY thing I dislike about them is that there are so many different offerings that finding critical pieces (like the butterfly plate that seems to wear out) can be a real PITA

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

They sell bushing kits for that problem bill, my malibu's qjet has a set. Even though it may seem rather ignorant, more only bitch about the Quadrajet, is the goofball that tried to work on it. In most cases, they have been tinkered with by a less than qualified person, usually ends up with broken or warped parts that may never be right again. The qjet was never the problem, it was always the schmuck messing with it.