It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:00 am 
Noob

My engine is dying and I'm considering to build stroker.

Just wondering if is it possible to build stroker based on 2000+ 4.0 engine with all accessories to fit in Eagle. I like the automatic belt tensioner and coil pack instead of wires (a little bit more water/moisture proof concept). And I think the better design of the water pump is also the plus.

If it is possible to upgrade HO 4.0 engine with tensioner and water pump from coil pack version I'd be glad to consider it as well.

If there's a post on this before please point me since I cannot find it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm 
Eagle

Quite a few jeep forums and magazinesget into building the stroker motors, and when someone ask about swapping a i6 for one of the Amc v8s things seem to get somewhat heated over which engine produces more power. If you google jeep 4.0 stroker I think you should get some good info. I've seen at least one eagle with the serpitine belt from the factory, don't remember how the belt tensioner worked though. The alternator would be the big challenge in taking a newer belt drive as Chrysler likes to run the alternator with the pcm. I think they were using denso alternators, so someone might be able to take Toyota parts and make it able to charge on it's own, if you have a shop that does alternator rebuilding. Most of those shops seem to be a thing of the past though. The coil pack, you will need the PCM, or an module of some sort to run, if you stay carburated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 pm 
Noob

1985amceagle wrote:
Quite a few jeep forums and magazinesget into building the stroker motors, and when someone ask about swapping a i6 for one of the Amc v8s things seem to get somewhat heated over which engine produces more power. If you google jeep 4.0 stroker I think you should get some good info.

I read a lot about strokers but most of them are built from HO engines. And I did not found anything about water pump compatibility.

The other big question if engine with relocated accessories will fit into Eagle engine compartment or I will have to relocate them. I read that with HO engine there's small issue with alternator, but with 2000+ engine they changed location of accessories again.

1985amceagle wrote:
I've seen at least one eagle with the serpitine belt from the factory, don't remember how the belt tensioner worked though.

On earlier 4.0 engines serpentine belt was tensioned with the power steering pump.

1985amceagle wrote:
The alternator would be the big challenge in taking a newer belt drive as Chrysler likes to run the alternator with the pcm. I think they were using denso alternators, so someone might be able to take Toyota parts and make it able to charge on it's own, if you have a shop that does alternator rebuilding. Most of those shops seem to be a thing of the past though.

Here in Russia we have lot of alternator rebuilding shops and lot of Toyotas of all kind to source parts from.

1985amceagle wrote:
The coil pack, you will need the PCM, or an module of some sort to run, if you stay carburated.

I'm going to go with MPI. The carburator parts and shops going into history. It's very hard to find mechanic who can tune carburator.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:06 am 
Noob

Found this post: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/reman- ... ost3323207

Quote:
XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks, and the 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

So, I think TJ/WJ engine is no way to go...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:22 am 
Noob

I think that if you kept the accessories for the block they came with you would not have issues with that respect, would probably need to fabricate motor mount brackets and then the wiring to get it to run but seemed to me that some blocks had the fan offset to one side of block which caused issues with clearance around the battery tray

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:21 am 
Noob

DAVE wrote:
I think that if you kept the accessories for the block they came with you would not have issues with that respect, would probably need to fabricate motor mount brackets and then the wiring to get it to run but seemed to me that some blocks had the fan offset to one side of block which caused issues with clearance around the battery tray

I found info that on one side mount moved to about 1 inch up and on another one about 1 inch down. Not sure if it is easy to adopt. The 2000+ engine seems to have fan on the center.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:24 am 
Eagle

DAVE wrote:

I believe the only engine that Had the off center fan was the xj cherokee i6, due to it not being designed for the i6 originally. The fan is driven off a pulley just to the right of the water pump.