It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:33 pm 
Noob

Hi, Eagle operating systems CAN be fixed. Just ripping stuff off without a good sense of what is what will just result in another dead Eagle. I just brought my 84 sedan back from the (near) dead. Most computer controls , AND the computer itself are still available, even the Stepper motor is available as a rebuild. 84+ is different from 83-. The last generation AMC controls were really quite sophisticated. The computer controlled the carb AND the dist. The dist., in this case was an early version of a "crank trigger"
I took the road less traveled. I went back to stock. Not easy, but doable.
The knock sensor is on TOP of the intake, right in front of the carb.
do your homework before doing anything!
godd luck y'll, gz

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 pm 
Noob

Hi, knock sensor was only used 84+. There is a BIG difference between the 81-83 feedback systems, and the 84-the End systems. The early systems only controlled the carb, the 84+ system controlled the carb AND the distributor. Computers are COMPLETELY different, and as a matter of fact, the 84+ computers are still available in rebuilt form from your local Advance/Autozone/RockAuto, etc. They are a Ford design. 84+, the Computer, (ECM), based on data received from (I think), eight sensors, sends a signal to the ICM, to send a spark to the motor. And, for the system to work, ALL eight sensors have to be there, and functional. In a sense, the 84+ distributor acts as an early version of the "crank trigger". AMC engineers were really at the top of their game, as far as carburetors were concerned. Remember, afaik, the Carter YF, and BBD, were the LAST carbs to be used on mass production American cars/trucks, making it all the way to 1990, 1991?, and this from a design started in the 30s. Carter BBD: Ball and Ball, Type D.
The knock sensor is on TOP of the intake (Red band) just in front of the carb., and is no longer available new, most of the other ones, believe it or not, are. Even the stepper motor is available as a rebuild.
So, what is the point here?
The point is, that if you are going to drive a 80s AMC Eagle, there is no free lunch. You need to get familiar with it's operating system, which is quite sophisticated. Then, and only then, can you pull stuff off, and make it run "better". The system as designed runs GREAT! Essentially what you are trying to do, is undo late 80s technology, and bring your motor back to the late 60s/early 70s, style tech. Which is ok, but now you have to understand THAT!
I took the road less traveled. I am close to finishing an 84 Eagle 4dr Sedan. Going on 3 years now. First year was easywork, interior. shocks, fuel tank, etc, 2nd year was the bear, motor, trans, and engine controls. It took almost a whole year, but Eagle #2 is running, and running well. This is when I began to understand the engine control system. Got all the sensors still available, a couple of good used ones, new computer, rebuilt the carb, etc. (also completely rebuilt original engine, but with Comp Cam, SBC Valves, Harlan Sharp rollers, etc) A LOT of work and money, but hey, priceless, I now understand my car. Year three, (now), is body and paint. I'm not doing that, (just funding it, ouch!), so we will see what it looks like in a couple of months.
So, ok, maybe not for everybody, but I can tell you that Eagles CAN be fixed properly, you do NOT have to hack stuff off to get it to run, you can FIX it!
good luck, y'all! gz