It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 pm 
Eagle

A few years ago I put the Eagle in near by car show. I was placed in the Stock 1980's category. This was a judged show with one winner in each category. There were two cars. Mine and a really nice Monte Carlo. I always put literature out regarding my cars since so few know about AMC's. Of course, prominently mentioned in the literature along side the window sticker is that AMC Eagles were 4WD from the factory. When the judges came around they debated with me regarding the car being 4WD and when they looked underneath they saw it was and then they said it had to be modified and could not be in the stock class with the 4WD, the "lift" and the factory spoiler. I saw no sense in arguing with the judges as they were both younger than the Eagle and too ignorant to believe the facts present to them, even though the facts were factory documents.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 pm 
Eagle

wow, what's with some of the kids in these younger generations. I guess not everyone knows what an amc is. mine might just see a car show this year
ive had my car mistaken for a pinto wagon. ive also had it get called a hearse. :roll: I don't think I could fit a casket in the back that easily. the rear hatch would get in the way. at least not many people have a clue what it is, or even know that it is four wheel drive :lol: it does turn some heads though when I have it cleaned up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 pm 
Eagle

Wow...what idiots! Did you tell them to try doing a search a little thing called Google? I'm sure if they were young they'd understand that!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately that's the way it works, numerous people have tried to argue with me about the sx/4 being lifted, they just don't grasp the concept that the crossover suv has been here since 1980, just because they've never seen one or ignored their presence, doesn't mean they don't exist (insert Rodney Dangerfield's famous quote). It really throws them for a loop when I tell them the car is actually lower than it was when it rolled off the assembly line :lol: . As far as arguing with factory documentation, that's just plain ignorance on their part. Then you run across a few people that know exactly what the car is, and think it's the coolest thing in the world that someone took the time to make it presentable 8-) .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:04 pm 
Hornet

sounds kinda like a guy once asking me what i was thinking lifting and 4x4ing a mustang, but the best one i got, was someone hollering across at a gas station something about "you ruined that delorean by lifting and making it 4x4" i couldnt help but laugh. the idiocy of some people. and then the people who "know" about amc and just used ever other car makers left over parts. "the 258 was a chrysler motor that became the 4.0 that amc bought from chryo. the 360 is a dodge motor also, blah blah blah, and would (if i wanted to argue with a fence post anyway) argue till your blue that amc never built anything of their own.

being an auto mechanic in a well known shop, with all the parts stores, EVERYONE gives me shit about honeybadger, and i hear it from every angle. lol. one guy at the napa store knows im an amc guy, and when i say the parts are for my personal car he goes "so what did the AMC break this time?" lol. (jokingly by the way, he has a mini cooper so he catches shit for a german built bmw british car. lol)

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 pm 
Eagle

that reminds me, the 258 was mistaken for a ford inline 6. , I think their intake and exhaust is on the passenger side also

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

What's weird is that here in Portland everyone knows what they are. I get compliments every day. A real live attractive girl even complimented the skalliwag the other day. I almost shit my pants.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 pm 
Hornet

p0wn... you put a hard chase on that one right?? damn... a chick who even knows what an eagle is.... some of our dreams. lmao :lol:

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 pm 
Pacer

there's a guy that works on the night crew at my job who "says" he's a mechanic and he that Eagle Eyes was a pinto and then said that all AMC's are worth less that scrap value and that i should sell my car and get a real one instead.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Her boyfriend was presumably right next to her in the driver side of his truck.

She was like "Nice eagle, " and said something but I didn't hear it because I was in confusion as to why this lady is complementing the eagle.

Then was like(in the voice of that kid from juno) "Yeah I have some pretty sweet mud tires" and then I walked off looking like a retard into the grocery store.

It was amazing.