It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:47 pm 
Pacer

Can't recall now what got me looking at them today, but took a look at Volvo's AWD line up, & it occurred to me that the XC70 is, not in style but functionality, a modern-day Eagle. Their web page has one blurb:

"With the XC70, Volvo created a whole new idea – an elegant station wagon with the off-road capability of an SUV. Combining a comfortable, capable ride with a luxurious cabin and a rugged yet refined exterior design, the XC70 takes you anywhere in style."
http://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/all-cars ... fault.aspx

Okay, so obviously not a "new" idea, but doesn't that just sound like the Eagle? Has me wondering what the Eagle's fate would have been had Volvo, not Chrysler, ended up with it.

And yes, also it has me wondering how it would look with a lift, low range t-case, & mud tires. :lol:

A buggy in the shop isn't as hard core as a stocker in the bush

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:16 pm 
Eagle

I've always liked Volvo wagons too. I could see how the XC70 is the market the Eagle would have been in had it continued production. Although the Eagle would be more Jeep than Volvo...mean more rugged than luxurious.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 pm 
Pacer

Prafeston wrote:
I've always liked Volvo wagons too. I could see how the XC70 is the market the Eagle would have been in had it continued production. Although the Eagle would be more Jeep than Volvo...mean more rugged than luxurious.

Practical functionality... Comfortable on the inside and rugged outside.
I could see an Eagle today being built with a ride 3-way switch. Road-Loose-Extreme
With it setting ride height and AWD functionality..
Imagine a Eagle able to go from road hugger to a 8"+ of clearance..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 pm 
Eagle

it would be cool, wonder why Chrysler isn't going after Volvo with lawsuits, they went after gm When AMC sold off AM general, the seven slot grill also went with it on the Humvee. Chrysler didn't win that lawsuit due to the fact that AMC owned AM general

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:00 am 
Javelin

1985amceagle wrote:
it would be cool, wonder why Chrysler isn't going after Volvo with lawsuits,

What would they sue them for?

I often wonder how the whole AMC line would have evolved if they survived their financial troubles and were able to stay in business.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:51 am 
Javelin

Yes, the Volvo XC70 is exactly what I imagine that a new version of an Eagle would look like, since the factory was marketing them to the same customers for the same function and ability. I like the bigger XC90 too. They are no where near as rugged as the Eagle or as easy to upgrade, but factory form versus factory form lines up well. They even break down once a month just like a genuine Eagle too!

I own six Eagles for me.... and a 2003 Volvo XC70 for my wife. We got sold on the car when I found a black leather flip-up booster built into the back seats. How cool is that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Honestly, even though I hate the looks of it, the new cherokee is the modern day Eagle. Chryco took the dodge dart platform, and made it a 4wd. How much closer to an eagle can you get? Taking a regular car and making it 4wd, that was the basic concept, though the dartkee got new sheetmetal, it is still just a dart, just like the eagle was just a hornet (or gremlin for the 50 series owners) with 4wd. I told my chryco regional manager this as he was giving his speech on the new cherokee, (meanwhile everyone in ear distance chuckled) he looked at me and said "fuck you." I lol'd, the truth hurts, and history repeats itself once again.