It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AMC Homers and Gomers
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:55 am 
Eagle

Reflections on what I think AMC did right and did wrong. Of course I will forget quite a few. Feel free to add and/or discuss.

Homers:
Developing the Hornet platform which so many winners were derived from: Gremlin, Eagle, Sportabout, etc.
Buying Jeep
Developing a line of six cylinder engines in the '60's that were in continual production well into the first decade of the 21st century.
The Gremlin.
The Eagle.
The Jeep XJ -- over 2 million sold.
Multiple crossover component usage.
Paddle door handles.
AMX/Javelin
Switching to Torque Flite transmissions.

Gomers:
The Marlin
The Matador Coupe
The Pacer
Merging with Chrysler while they were still profitable and handing them North America's newest and most modern vehicle assembly plant, the Jeep and the 4.0.
Not incorporating fuel injection when they had the ability to do so.
Failing to use GM HEI ignition in favor of the problematic Motorcraft setup.
Not refreshing the Eagle after the first few years.
Dropping two door cars after '83.
Late development of their own 4 cylinder engine.
Not fighting the US government over the divestiture of AM General. Chrysler had foreign investors, what made AMC any different.

Jury still out:
Partial ownership by Renault.
Not merging with Studebaker and Packard when they had the chance.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:58 am 
Eagle

Doug wrote:
Reflections on what I think AMC did right and did wrong. Of course I will forget quite a few. Feel free to add and/or discuss.

Jury still out:
Partial ownership by Renault.

I wouldn't know where to put that. they gained technology that they would not have otherwise IE keyless entry, RENIX fuel injection system, and they also got some extra funds to help build new engines ( 2.5 and 4.0) and the xj.

they worse part about the Renault partnership is the cars they tried selling, which killed the amc produced models out of production, to where they only focused on jeep.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 am 
Pacer

The Marlin is an acquired taste. Iirc it was a good performer, just odd looking. Should have made it into a much smaller car.

The Pacer should have had a stronger engine in it, with a bit less glass. I still love them though, but its sad that a bit more practical design decisions weren't made with it. Someday I'll get my hands on one.

From articles I've read, the big 3, especially Chrysler, was trying to ram AMC out of business. Chrysler was having financial problems at the time and Reneault helped them...once those fucks got their hands on the Jeep line they were saved. Who knows what would have happened if AMC/Jeep released the Cherokee 3-4 years earlier?

The Eagle should have had the new 242 put into it as soon as they were ready, with fuel injection, instead of AMC trying to save a few bucks and using old crap. From what I read the engine was ready in '86. If the Cherokee was released a few years earlier,even with the 258, it would have saved AMC imo. AMC could have done a Eagle refresh with the new Jeep technology.

AMC could have made it, and it would be friggen awesome to see Chrysler bring the name back for a line of different cars (crossover cars?) with old AMC names like the Eagle, Pacer, Matador and Gremlin. I have no doubt that they would be huge sellers if done correctly...there's a big market for different vehicles.

I could only dream of a new true 4x4 capable wagon/coupe designed for on and off road living.

Who knows though...it's odd but I've seen the AMC and Eagle names start popping up in articles a bit more lately when 4x4 is being discussed. Not often, but whenever a crossover vehicle is mentioned 99% of the time the AMC Eagle/SX4 is mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 am 
Eagle

im kind of thinking another reason amc was bought out was because they were going in for another successful run of vehicles which scared Chrysler. they had great luck with the xj, and they had another on the drawing boards, they had a newer engine, and a modernized cj known as the yj wrangler.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:27 pm 
Eagle

Interesting you mentioned the Wrangler. Chrysler recently announced the millionth one made and made much about it. Too bad they, again, are taking credit for something they did not conceive, just like the XJ.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 pm 
Hornet

If that bomber hadn't taken out the Renault/Jeep guy, the sales of the XJs were taking off and AMC was starting to make real money. 1 more year and they would've been solvent.

I don't hate the early Pacers, but I really like the last few years of wagons with 304s in them. Considering they modified the design from a FWD to RWD mid production, it's a pretty cool setup. I put square headlights in my '79 wagon (that my ex-GF took with her when she moved out) and it really changed the look. I used the single square headlight setup from a '78 Spirit and refit the fenders to match.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
Eagle

All Pacers were RWD. The switch was made pre-production when GM could not provide the engines.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:22 pm 
Hornet

have heard that after the chryo take over, it was amc guys carried over who got the contract for dodge pickups to get the cummins engines. the 4x4 dakota front suspension/drive was derived from the eagle design. (ever looked at one up close on a lift?) and also there was word that the moper 4.7 v8 was on the boards at amc when they were taken over. then the diamler (mercedes era) chryo guys did their changes to it, and so its an all mopar motor.( so they say, id like to hear more about this)

i think amc was about to become the #3 american producer, and chryo was about to go belly up.

i have heard the chryo K-car platform/minivan was also an amc designe. but werent those cars already in production before '87 by chryo??

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:24 pm 
Eagle

k car came out in early 80s no clue about the minivan though

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:35 pm 
Eagle

The minivan preceded the buyout. "Cab Forward" was AMC/Renault.

1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport