It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:05 am 
Javelin

Hi from overseas

I am in doubts about my 1981 AMC Eagle. It is running a 258 engine and along these days I started to drive it daily, and surpringsly after fuelling, I discoverd the car spent around 11-13mpg (20-18 liters every 100 Km in Europe). Really I usually drive in rural areas for a few kilometers at low speed, around 20 miles, so it will be very similar to a urban mileage.

I am really scared about the fuel mileage, somebody could tell me if this is a reasonable fuel mileage for a AMC 258engine? I am used to spend 39mpg or 6 liters on my Fiat Marea daily car.

The mechanic let me know that we can replace the main jets in the carburetor, but now I read about the ability of the HEI distributors to improve the fuel mileage. Also I read about to improve fuel mileage installing the catalytic converter (which isn´t present on my Eagle and all electronic modules were disabled decades ago, so I am not sure it it will work in any way)

Really, may I improve the fuel mileage installing the HEI distributor? May I replace more parts from the Eagle as the ignition module or the ignition coil to make work the HEI distributor? Will be needed extra parts for the HEI installation?

Help will be welcome, and thank you so much for reading.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:32 am 
Noob

bertosalceda wrote:
I am in doubts about my 1981 AMC Eagle. It is running a 258 engine and along these days I started to drive it daily, and surpringsly after fuelling, I discoverd the car spent around 11-13mpg (20-18 liters every 100 Km in Europe). Really I usually drive in rural areas for a few kilometers at low speed, around 20 miles, so it will be very similar to a urban mileage.

Mine with some kind of Weber carb (not sure which, my mechanic told me it seems to come from old Volkswagen, but he not sure) consumes about 15-16 liters per 100 km (though, my average speed is close to 50 km/h).

PS: When I bought the car I was able to reach around 10.2 liters per 100 km on highway, but no one was able to reproduce that economy later.