It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A Good Eagle Article!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 pm 
Eagle

And from a British site nonetheless!

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130925 ... ail-blazer

My girlfriend sent me this. She's a frequent BBC reader!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 am 
Eagle

I did not find all that flattering towards AMC. If they had done their research they would have also found that Roy Lunn was from England.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:17 am 
Pacer

IowaEagle wrote:
I did not find all that flattering towards AMC.

I didn't either. Lemons?? the concord may not have been an advanced car, but they still freaking run. If I had bought an Eagle in the 80's, I'd still be driving it. That's considered 'Lifetime wheels'.

Not many cars can claim that. when I was looking to get my eagle, I went to an old farmer who had one sitting for over 9 years behind his garage. He poured some gas in it, gave it a battery, and the bloody thing started up.

Lemons my ass.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:04 am 
Hornet

I read big block Chev when I saw BBC. Is that wrong? (I was ticked about it too!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 am 
Eagle

I didn't say a good AMC article. Just a Good Eagle article! :) Yeah it wasn't spot on, but at least it acknowledged the Eagle as a trend setting vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 am 
Eagle

carnuck wrote:
I read big block Chev when I saw BBC. Is that wrong? (I was ticked about it too!)

British Broadcasting Company

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:24 am 
Javelin

AMC Cars are perfect for the tinkering type. Everything is very easy to fix, and they will last forever with huge amounts of cheap parts and fixes for problems.

The flip-side: They break constantly. As easy as the fixes are, they still need to be fixed. As much as I love my Eagles, I'm not surprised they get called lemons. When I get a totally stock Eagle I have a very long list of needed changes to be done. Each of them has left me tinkering and cursing in the past. The average consumer does not have that patience or enthusiasm for any motor vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:44 am 
Javelin

captspillane wrote:
AMC Cars are perfect for the tinkering type. Everything is very easy to fix, and they will last forever with huge amounts of cheap parts and fixes for problems.

The flip-side: They break constantly. As easy as the fixes are, they still need to be fixed. As much as I love my Eagles, I'm not surprised they get called lemons. When I get a totally stock Eagle I have a very long list of needed changes to be done. Each of them has left me tinkering and cursing in the past. The average consumer does not have that patience or enthusiasm for any motor vehicle.

Speaking of that, would you mind sending me a brief list of those things? Or possibly making a post on it? I'd love to get as many of those things out of the way when I finally find a good Eagle.

Pretty good read despite the slander.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 pm 
Rogue

Whuntmore wrote:
IowaEagle wrote:
I did not find all that flattering towards AMC.

I didn't either. Lemons?? the concord may not have been an advanced car, but they still freaking run. If I had bought an Eagle in the 80's, I'd still be driving it. That's considered 'Lifetime wheels'.

Not many cars can claim that. when I was looking to get my eagle, I went to an old farmer who had one sitting for over 9 years behind his garage. He poured some gas in it, gave it a battery, and the bloody thing started up.

Lemons my ass.

The article displays the typical British stiff upper lip.

Our Eagle is certainly not a lemon. And, yes, I did buy this Eagle in the 80s and I'm still driving it every day. In fact, my wife and I went for a ride into the mountains today. It wasn't in her Hyundai nor was it in our Cherokee...it was in our 170k miles/30-year-old Eagle.

As for the "ancient" 4.2 litre in-line six, there's nothing more "ancient" than rock-solid reliability.

The BBC can kiss my ass. :eagle:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

I have to agree somewhat with capt on this, any 30 year old car (I don't care who made it) needs some updates to more semi modern equipment. The ignitions in our cars are notorious failures, luckily we have the easy swap of a gm hei to fall back on. Granted the gm hei is not the be all end all, but it is very easy to obtain service parts for (IE, any parts store will have parts in stock to fix it, as opposed to the motocrap system they originally had). Carbs are almost always a issue on mid 80's cars, if your area allows it, switch to an older style carb that does not rely on electronics. Vacuum lines......Replace them, that is all, once they're old an cracked, they are nothing more than a problem waiting to happen. Gaskets, much over looked item, can mean the difference between a car that runs like shit, to a car that's dd capable (speaking carb base gasket, and intake/exhaust gasket). Timing chain and gears, many of our cars used a nylon gear, nylon vs steel needs no explanation, replace the set for good measure. Water pump and fan clutch, so far two out of two eagles need both, coincidence? I don't think the plastic valve cover needs to be mentioned, but whoops I mentioned it. Strut rod bushings are another common problem, but easy fix. Mind as well mention the idler arm at this point. Oh and wheel bearings are fun.

It seems like a lot just reading the list, but keep in mind, many modern vehicles will need the same if not more treatment to keep them on the road (at a much higher premium). I see it everyday working at a shop, I shake my head as 2-3 year old cars come in with a grocery list of problems that by far exceed those listed above. I'll take my 30 year old "enter any make" that I outright own that needs $900 to pass inspection, over the newer "enter any make" that I owe thousands of dollars on (or hundreds a month), that needs $900 worth of work to pass inspection. (example only, my eagle barely needed $300 to get it road legal from a completely inop state.)