It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:15 pm 
Noob

Help! I need some serious help with my '84 Eagle. It has the 5-speed, which I can not locate the steel lines that connect the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder. I had it towed to a shop that works on my other cars, and he jerry rigged it, and it still doesn't work. This car runs like a champ. purrs like a kitten, with on 69k on it. And now the car is overheating, and this shop owner has no idea why it is doing this. Please, I am at wits end with this. Too much invested to have it taken to scrap.
Now that I have replaced the thermo, housing, water pump, fan, and had the radiator recored, upper and lower hoses, radiator cap with pressure release.
But I had noticed the shop has removed the thermostatic clutch, and replaced with a big spacer. Did not replace the shroud, did not replace the hoses going to the manifold, did not replace the vacumn valve going to the heater core. Routed the heater hoses directly to the heater core. So, also, he ripped a lot of the vacumn lines out, and the AMC books that I have are no use to me. Can't make hide nor hair of where they go, or connect to. The original lines for the clutch master cylinder are gone. There is a makeshift Chrysler reservoir that has been installed on the inner fender well, with rubber hoses, and clamps to hold the hoses in place. These lines, I have been told go to a master cylinder under the brake master cylinder. WTF!
This is a cluster if I have ever known one. So, now what. I wish that I had some contact with a person close to my location, but it seems most or all of you are in the east coast, or further.
Fortunately, the miles are original, the elderly man lived in Idaho, bought it in Billings, relocated to Oregon City, OR.

Last edited by Hornet52 on Mon May 19, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:35 pm 
Javelin

If this shop owner cant figure out why an 84 eagle is overheating I would take it to a differant shop. Its not that hard to figure out. Thermostat,water pump, or radiator.

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:16 pm 
Javelin

amchornet wrote:
If this shop owner cant figure out why an 84 eagle is overheating I would take it to a differant shop. Its not that hard to figure out. Thermostat,water pump, or radiator.

or timing or exaust not exausting

All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:36 pm 
Hornet

im an auto tech. theres only a short list of things that can cause overheating. start with t-stat. then pull water pump to see if the vanes off of it have rotted off, and its just not moving coolant anymore. check the flow of the radiator. that's easy enough to do. put a plug on the lower outlet. fill the radiator up with water. pull the cap, and it should drain in about 3 seconds. if slower, rad is to plugged up with corrosion. if all those check out to be fine, then check your catalytic converter. they can plug up, holding exhaust pressure. but that will usually also cause VERY poor performance, especially at say highway speeds. will USUALLY take forever to get up to speed ect. makes a plugged exhaust. check your ignition timing. retarded ignition timing can cause excessive heat. with only 69k miles, I wouldn't immediately suspect a jumped timing chain, but anything is possible. especially if it could be 169k if you only have a 5 digit reading odometer. but a jumped timing chain should act almost like retarded ignition timing, or plugged exhaust. very LOUSY (even by stock eagle standards) performance. fuel millage would be horrible, performance would be about like having a brigs and Stratton 5 hp lawn mower engine in it. with you not stating anything about lousy performance, id be looking to t-stat, water pump vanes corroded away, or plugged radiator. all effect coolant flow.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:08 am 
Javelin

Worn out fan clutch or collapsing lower hose can also cause overheating. Also a defective sending unit can read that it's overheating when it really isn't. Are you going by the gauge or can you tell for sure that it is overheating? Troubleshooting is a dying art in the auto repair field. Many are just parts changers.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

As for your clutch line, find a local napa, many of them make hydraulic hoses. Bring them a sample and they should be able to take it from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:44 pm 
Javelin

Be very happy with your clutch system. Adding a clutch resevoir is a very important improvement to the horrible system the factory put on. The line from the resevoir to the clutch master cylinder is a low pressure line and the flex line with clamps is fine. There are better ways to do it but yours is probably fine the way it is. Going from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder is a high pressure line and that is done differently.

I actually use a rear brake flexible hose instead of making a custom one. The rear hose has two outputs because it is supposed to go from the body and then T off to both rear wheels at the rear axle. I put a plug on one side and the other side uses normal 3/16" double flare brake line to the slave cylinder.

Usually when your clutch doesn't work it is because its really hard to bleed the air out. I actually pull tension with a ratchet strap to get a good bleed. Another problem is the factory pedal linkage is prone to bending and cracking, which feels like the slave isn't working when really it is. The slave often corrodes and locks up, which then could cause the linkage to bend in the first place. If your slave died recently you will need to look at that linkage to make sure it didn't get damaged.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:17 am 
Eagle

Did the shOp put in the right water pump for the belt drive system? Serpentine belt vehicles spin the oposite direction from the v belt vehicles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:34 pm 
Hornet

Surprisingly the wrong pump only seems to affect idle temp. I had to pull my temp sender to burp the head after flushing my system and putting in a new stat. It ran almost at boiling point before that.