It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 pm 
Eagle

maddog wrote:
Shagg wrote:
maddog wrote:
rafe I have over one hundred of those little cars.
shagg forget the big block and go with a LS motor, they are easier to get parts for, better on gas, have more horse power, and usually bolt in place of the small block 350/305/ect.

Can't do it, LS is a chevy engine, :lmao: . Plus since my car is set up for Oldsmobile (350 to 455 is almost a direct swap with no mods needed, besides header primary tube extension), changing to anything else would be more money than the car is worth. Not to mention I don't really care about fuel economy in this car :lol: , besides the run of the mill LS engines that I could afford (5.3, 5.7, 6.0), don't really out perform the small block Olds currently under the hood (minus RPM range). I should be able to get 400-425 hp and over 500ftlb from the big block with minor inexpensive upgrades, it's not too far off those numbers in stock form :mrgreen: .

shagg why does your Malibu have an olds motor in it?

He saw that gm could do it with the craptastic quad four, ( the DOHC version is great) and pulled off the same stunt. (by the way, did anyone know that those buzz bombs will run on two cylinders?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 pm 
Hornet

1985amceagle wrote:
funny no one thought about the two speed rear axle if it has one

It does, but no local interest. I figured a roofing company would want it for hauling materials in and junk away from sites since similar rigs with diesel go for $10K plus here and you need an air ticket to drive them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

maddog wrote:
Shagg wrote:
maddog wrote:

[color=#0000FF]shagg why does your Malibu have an olds motor in it?

The original reason, I had an absolute rot box 79 Cutlass with a good running Olds 350 Engine, and I had the Rust free malibu with a garbage Chevy engine...So I used what I had and took the best parts from each car and made them one. That Engine has since been destroyed (teenager with a lead foot, 6500rpm burnout), my reason for the Olds engine now, I prefer it due to its quality engineering, and the fact that it's not a run of the mill powerplant (I get lots of hate from the bowtie crowd), but, at least I can say my chevy is on a different path than those that look like it..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 pm 
Pacer

Shagg wrote:
The original reason, I had an absolute rot box 79 Cutlass with a good running Olds 350 Engine, and I had the Rust free malibu with a garbage Chevy engine...So I used what I had and took the best parts from each car and made them one. That Engine has since been destroyed (teenager with a lead foot, 6500rpm burnout), my reason for the Olds engine now, I prefer it due to its quality engineering, and the fact that it's not a run of the mill powerplant (I get lots of hate from the bowtie crowd), but, at least I can say my chevy is on a different path than those that look like it..

that is a good reason.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:50 am 
Metropolitan

I bought and put this xj together last week so I could generate some cash for the eagle build. The jeep was a basket case when I got it, run hard and put away wet it's entire life. I swapped motors, lifted and cut it then swapped out all the ABS stuff for standard brakes. Painted the bottom part black and put some 35's on it and to make the old soft crager 8's look better I painted them and modded the wheels to take a stock xj center cap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 am 
Pacer

that right there is a good looking XJ cherokee ....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:57 am 
Hornet

An old tinkering project of mine was a berry picking van ('79 Chev G20 People hauler) The owner kacked several SBCs over the years and complained they sucked up the gas (lucky to break into double digits). When he blew the last motor, the only thing I had to swap in was a 232 and 904 auto from a '75 Pacer that rotted out the body and broke it's rear leaf springs. They really enjoyed that van after that, getting almost 20 mpg locally (low geared so no freeway cruising) It was used till the frame broke from rust a couple years ago. You should see the bowtie guy's faces twist up when they see an AMC 6 in place of a Chebby V8!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

LOL! :lmao: :lmao: I bet! I won't lie, the thought of putting a supercharged 4.0 in the malibu has crossed my mind...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Another Q-Jet has found its way into my hands for a rebuild. This time it's for a friend of mine that was impressed with the one on my kee, and how well it did offroad. So he got in contact with me to build him one that would do the same for his V8 YJ project 8-) .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:00 pm 
Eagle

Shagg wrote:
LOL! :lmao: :lmao: I bet! I won't lie, the thought of putting a supercharged 4.0 in the malibu has crossed my mind...

lets see it happen : 1985amceagle: : 1985amceagle: : 1985amceagle: lets get through the big block olds first though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next