It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:21 am 
Pacer

The term Sport Utility Vehicle is a North American term. It was never used in other countries. It was originally a marketing term, and coined by the NA Media, not a vehicle class.

Otherwise, many other possible vehicles would have beaten out the Niva (1977). Such as: the Carryall Suburban (1935) Willy's Jeep wagon (1948) Land Rover (1958), International's vehicles (travelall, and Scout) and others like Wagoneer, Bronco I, and II, GMC Jimmy's and the like.

Also, the actual term, SUV was not used until the 80's, and the Niva had already been in production for a while. The North American Media coined the term, because these SUV's were kicking the shit outta the truck industry. Plus, they were called SUV's because of their 4x4, reasonable size (compared to say, a huge Chev Suburban) plush interior, and decent fuel consumption, and my favorite reason, to class as 'Light Truck' to evade the EPA standards, but have everyone drive one.

Niva's never had plush, or luxurious interiors. my uncle had one, and they were pretty basic on the inside.

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is considered the first true sport utility vehicle by many sources and was marketed by AMC to Urban families.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 am 
Pacer

I remembered wrong.

It was one of the first mass production off-road vehicles to feature a unibody architecture (the first was GAZ-M-72 in 1955), independent front suspension and coil suspension, and is a predecessor to current crossover SUVs which nearly all follow this format.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:39 pm 
Pacer

Nightpath wrote:
I remembered wrong.

It was one of the first mass production off-road vehicles to feature a unibody architecture (the first was GAZ-M-72 in 1955), independent front suspension and coil suspension, and is a predecessor to current crossover SUVs which nearly all follow this format.

"It was ONE of the first"...? which was first? (I'm too tired to look it up on wikipedia)

I have to agree they were really good in the snow, and off-road, really good. They were wider, a bit longer then the suziki Samurai.

some will debate which is better in the woods, and getting between narrow trees and stuff (I have seen the Samurai get thru some narrow shit, and the top came off, and the front windscreen would fold forward just like a Willy's Jeep), but the Niva was almost impossible to tip over - Having a lower center of gravity.

I remember going hunting and fishing in both, thru the woods, or on 'goat tracks' and they were both awesome in the woods. the Samurai seats were horrible in the back, barely ok in the front, and sitting four aldults with two dogs was really cramped.

the Niva was more comfortable, with almost 5 able to sit decently, and no problem with 2+ dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 pm 
Eagle

regalwizard wrote:
Eagle Kammback wrote:
We're allowed to go to Cuba now?

I'd like to see more of that Rambler up underneath

Us Canadians have always been allowed to go to Cuba; best place to get away from Americans while on holiday. :blazin:

I think ill go to Canada then, the north/ south ( I don't know which) Koreans have a missle now :shock: , time to get out of here for awhile till the shit blows over :speedy:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:12 pm 
Hornet

i was stationed in south korea back in '03 when this same shitpot was being stirred. i opperated the patriot missle systems then. had to watch radar screens at north korea 24 hours a day. been there, done that. the last guy liked to bluff and all. i think this new whacko is a rocking his chair with only one rockin leg. lol. :lmao: :stir:

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:34 pm 
Eagle

the news media is more likely just creating a big story to get more views :roll: we should still be somewhat worried though. our government has pissed off a few other countries over the years. looks like "some" Image of the Canadians hate us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 pm 
Hornet

go to ireland, see how well they like americans. especially U.S. Army guys waiting for their plane to get restocked/fueled to go to kuwait. :lmao: there is NO love for us there what so ever. :sly:

82 eagle sw (rottywagon)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 pm 
Eagle

maybe just need to give tem some beer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 pm 
Pacer

1985amceagle wrote:
regalwizard wrote:
Eagle Kammback wrote:
We're allowed to go to Cuba now?

I'd like to see more of that Rambler up underneath

Us Canadians have always been allowed to go to Cuba; best place to get away from Americans while on holiday. :blazin:

I think ill go to Canada then, the north/ south ( I don't know which) Koreans have a missle now :shock: , time to get out of here for awhile till the shit blows over :speedy:

Wow, that got hi-jacked quick. argh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 pm 
Hornet

i kinda thought the same thing after my last post on here... lol. BLAME THE BEER??!!! :cheers:

82 eagle sw (rottywagon)