It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Axel from a javelin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:04 pm 
Javelin

Once upon a time I built a hornet drag car. I used a rear axel from a javelin and it fit...only it was a little wider. I dont rember how much and it still fit fine I just rember it was wider. That got me thinking these eagles the rear axel isnt as wide as the front wheel base. Why not get a axel housing from a javelin and bolt it in and swap the gears. Then the wheel base would proably be the same...what do we think??? just putting it out there... :itchy:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

Post subject: Re: Axel from a javelin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Good theory, but keep in mind, Eagles are SOA (Spring Over Axle) verses the javelins SUA (Spring Under Axle), so a little fab work will be needed to adapt the jav rear to the Eagle. Personally, I like the narrower rear in the eagle, though cosmetically goofy looking, it forces the car to go straight on snow covered roads. On the other hand, it looks goofy with the front tires sticking out further than the rears. It would be be a good upgrade (model 20) on fair weather cars.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:31 pm 
Pacer

I asked the same question at my AMC club here, and they basically rattled off several reasons and then said, get a Limited slip rear from an XJ. It's a much closer fit. Or an Explorer for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:41 am 
Javelin

A great number of CJ7 model 20's have had their axle shafts break, giving the Model 20 a terrible reputation. Thing is, there is a huge hardware difference from Model 20's in Javelins and AMXs and J10 trucks from the model 20 in a CJ7. I've read that the axle shafts are different and stronger in a similar way to AMC-15 versus Dana 35 axles. Despite sharing the same center section, many more two-piece Eagle AMC-15 axles have broken compared to the rare event of a Jeep XJ Dana 35 axle breaking . My CJ8 has aftermarket axle shafts advertised to triple the strength of the stock model 20 and make it comparable or even better than the desireable Dana 44 most people swap it for. Keep in mind that AMC considered the Model 20 suitable for a half ton pickup truck. It should be stronger than any Jeep Cherokee or Ford Explorer axle.

The Javelin Model 20 should be the same as my '79 AMC Spirit AMX with 304 V8. I noticed that it looks visually wider than the axle in my '82 Spirit GT with AMC258. I bet the Hornet you converted in the past was the same WMS as my Spirit GT. I also destroyed a pair of new tires once by taking a set of rims off an Eagle and putting them on the Spirit. The Spirit WMS must be about 2" shorter on the Spirit than on an Eagle because the tire rubbed on the side of the Spirit leaf spring but did not on the SX4. I suspect the Javelin Model 20 would fit under an Eagle perfectly once you weld on new perches and shock mounts.

On all my Eagles I put 2" spacers on the rear. Even then, the flares stick out at least an inch past the edges of the tire. I greatly dislike how far the tires sit inside the flares and take great efforts to remedy that on all my cars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:39 pm 
Hornet

84-91 Grand Wagoneers are same width as Javelin. (6 lug pattern). They use Model 21 (similar to M20, but stronger axle tubes and 1 piece shafts from the factory) Ratios are crappy (2.72 or 3.31)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:44 am 
Eagle

First I had heard of a Model 21. Interesting info, wonder why have not heard more about them? Maybe the 6 - lug issue?

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:33 pm 
Hornet

Probably. Kind of like how most thought the Eagle auto trans was a 904 and not 998.

Dana 60 diffs go to 3.73 ratio. Any higher (lower numerically) and they are Dana 61s.

Eagle rear diff is Model 15 until the last couple years of production when XJ Dana 35s with 2 piece axles were substituted. Visually look the same so people don't know the difference unless they run the BLM (build list of materials) stamped on the tube.