It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Flat Towing an Eagle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm 
Eagle

I have never done this but am thinking about doing it with my SX/4 thought I would compile I list of tips/tricks and good practices for when anyone out there may need to flat tow an Eagle. I realize many of these things may be universal, but thought there might be some stuff specific to the Eagle we can point out. Like disconnecting the drive shaft.

Here is what I have so far.

Prep:
1. Make sure to purchase/rent a tow bar that can handle the weight of the vehicle being towed. Same goes for the hitch and ball used on the towing vehicle.
2. Obviously the tow vehicle needs to be able to roll. Can't tow a car with a frozen brake. Would be advised to check the suspension components on all corners.
3. Good tires would be a plus, but at least make sure they are holding air and filled to the correct psi.
4. Disconnect both front and rear drive shafts. (When dollying an Eagle it's only needed to disconnect the rear, but since all 4 wheels are on the ground in a flat tow you'll want to disconnect all drive shafts. Bolt the straps back on over the u-joints.)
5. Make sure the key is in the ignition so that the steering wheel is unlocked.
6. Make sure the ebrake/parking brake is off!
7. It would probably be ideal to have magnetic trailer lights mounted on the back of the tow vehicle. In a pinch have a good battery installed in the tow vehicle and have either the parking lights or hazards on and do your towing during the day.
8. Make sure your fluids/brakes are good on the towing vehicle.
9. Make sure you have all the paperwork on the vehicle being towed. (Or at least come up with a good story should you get pulled over by the cops! :lol: ) Title if you've got it or at least a Bill of Sale would probably do. You might even be able to have the vehicle being towed be covered by your insurance company. Something to look into anyway.

Installation:
1. Remove front bumper and install adjustable tow bar to the bumper mounts.
2. Check that all bolts on the mount and on the tow bar are securely tightened.
3. Attach tow bar to your towing vehicle and make sure it is secured to the ball hitch.
4. Some tow bars may come with chains as a fail safe. Make sure these are attached to the towing vehicle. (When hooking up safety chains criss-cross them under the tow bar/trailer tongue.)

Driving/Check Up Tips:
1. Drive conservatively. You're towing vehicle will be doing all of the braking.
2. Give plenty of stopping room.
3. You can't drive in reverse when flat towing so make sure to plan all your stops accordingly.
4. Make occasional stops. (Once after a couple miles just to double check all your mounting points and to make sure everything is still looking good. Then once every hour or 50 miles or so.)
5. Keep the radio off. Listen for any potentially dangers sounds coming from behind you. Or from the tow vehicle.
6. Watch your mirrors. It's good to have a visual on your towing car. Pay particular attention to how it handles turns, bumps, stops, accelerations, etc. (Obviously keep your eyes on the road ahead too! Don't obsess over your mirrors, but maybe pay a little more attention that you normally would.)
7. Swing Wide when turning. (Obviously be safe, but give yourself plenty of room to make tight turns.)
8. If towing with an Automatic Vehicle most manufacturers say to not tow in D or Overdrive.
8. When coming to a stop take Down shift if you can. (This means going from 3, 2, 1 on an Auto Shifter)

I've read up a bit on some of this stuff and got a handful of it from talking with Dave (Casper). Please feel free to make addition or corrections and I will update this post.

Last edited by Prafeston on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Flat Towing an Eagle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 am 
Eagle

Brake early, as I am sure the eagle will try to push the xj. I don't know if they would have a setup to use the eagles brakes or not, but if the could be used, that would help with stoping. You would also want tail lights of some type for towing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:18 am 
Pacer

I didn't see it but that doesn't mean you didn't mention it, you MUST remove the drive shaft to any wheels that are touching the ground when towing an eagle. Neutral isn't an option.

Whenever I tow I always drop gears when comming to a stop, in a manual trans it's a common thing to do anyways but in an autp go from drive down this will keep the brakes from heating up and fading out)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 am 
Eagle

YES! Remove drive shafts for any wheels on the ground.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:43 am 
Eagle

Gotcha. Will add that to the list. I had removal of the rear drive shaft, but I guess that alone us only good for if you are towering with a dolly. Maybe some details on how to remove all drive shafts should be added.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:07 pm 
AMX

Also (whether with tow dolly, trailer or all 4's on the ground) make sure you give yourself enough of a turning radius everywhere.
Swing wide so as not to stress hitch points or damage your vehicle in tow.

And like Bill said, drop gears to avoid overheating brakes. I did this going down hills and mountains as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:14 pm 
Eagle

Mud wrote:
Also (whether with tow dolly, trailer or all 4's on the ground) make sure you give yourself enough of a turning radius everywhere.
Swing wide so as not to stress hitch points or damage your vehicle in tow.

And like Bill said, drop gears to avoid overheating brakes. I did this going down hills and mountains as well.

Keep them coming guys. I appreciate all the tips! I'm looking to probably flat two the SX/4 this Sunday after trying to get it running Saturday.

Along the same lines as down shifting I was reading some Jeep Forums about guys towing with Cherokees and I saw a couple people mention towing in the "3" gear on their auto Cherokees. Does this sound like something I should do? What is their logic?

From the Jeep forum: "If you are going to tow the car, make sure you have your tires maxed out on PSI and if you have an auto tranny, make sure you tow with the trans in the 3rd gear position. Your trans will appreciate it as will your wallet. Good Luck!!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:48 pm 
Eagle

Just thought of another prep thing. Make sure the Ebrake is off!!! Which also now makes me think...should I have the car in gear or in neutral? I saw some Jeep Forums saying it should be in 5th gear when towing...but that was for a Wrangler I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
Pacer

Prafeston wrote:
Just thought of another prep thing. Make sure the Ebrake is off!!! Which also now makes me think...should I have the car in gear or in neutral? I saw some Jeep Forums saying it should be in 5th gear when towing...but that was for a Wrangler I think.

If the driveshaft(s) are disconnected, it shouldn't matter what gear the trans or t-case is in, since they're not engaged/turning. Kinda the whole point of disco'ing the shafts. : P

A buggy in the shop isn't as hard core as a stocker in the bush

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:18 pm 
Eagle

Cool...yeah I guess it would be different with the newer Jeeps cause they can put their t-cases in neutral. I think I'd rather leave it in neutral though.