It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Head Light Mod
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 pm 
Pacer

this was not written by me, but I saved it from the 'other' site: You guys can put this in the 'Evopedia' if you want.

I have always disliked the performance of the stock headlights. Some have reported success with switching to a relay and larger wiring to the headlights. I decided to use better headlights and do the relay upgrade at the same time. I purchased some AutoPal headlights from an Ebay seller. They are 165mm glass lamps that take a removable H4 bulb. I highly recommend the relay upgrade. You might want to do that first and that may be enough. I live in a rural area that doesn't have many streetlights. I am extremely pleased with the new lights. I used to struggle to see with the low beams and would use my high beams and fog lights but would have to turn them off when approaching oncoming traffic. I drove tonight with the low beams and didn't have a need for the high beams.
First you will need a 5 pin 30 amp relay and preferably a relay socket. However you can use .250 female terminals instead of a socket.

Attachment:
relay_wiring.jpg
relay_wiring.jpg [ 28.39 KiB | Viewed 2969 times ]

I prefer the one with two 87 pins and without the 87a pin. This way you can run 2 separate leads to the 2 headlights. You want the relay as close to battery as possible preferably and use 12 gauge wire for input and ground. Run 12v+ to pin 30. A 20 amp resetable circuit breaker inline with the +  would be a good idea. Run a short ground wire to pin 85 and attach it to the body or another suitable ground. You will need another relay for the high beams if you wish.

Attachment:
relay20dual20872020terminal20numbers.gif
relay20dual20872020terminal20numbers.gif [ 3.52 KiB | Viewed 2968 times ]

The H4 conversion bulbs use a plug just like the stock Eagle's plug, however the orientation of the 3 leads is different.

Attachment:
x5uwl4.jpg
x5uwl4.jpg [ 44.35 KiB | Viewed 2969 times ]

I didn't want to cut or splice into the factory harness, so I just slid a .250 spade terminal into the low beam's female socket and that goes to pin 86 on the relay. That wire doesn't need very large since it is just a switch wire.
I bought some new bulb socket pigtails and ran 12 awg wires from the 87 pins to the appropriate pin on the socket for the low beams.  Run a ground wire to the appropriate pin for the bulb and you are good to go.

Post subject: Re: Head Light Mod
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 pm 
Hornet

i did the relay on my highbeams last winter. the high beams are more important for the relay as you have 4 bulbs on high. the outter bulbs are high and low beam, inner bulbs are highs only. i live 50 miles out of town. so high beams are on more than lows. we have alot of 250+ lb mule deer, 1200 lb + rocky mountain elk, 2000 lb + beef cows, ect that are all over the highways here. not fun to spot one infront of you at dark thirty. lol. i have thought about getting the crystal clear lens h4 conversion for honeybadger. i think im happy running the sylvania silverstars right now. i got to change the wire for the fog lights. i have aftermarket lights as my stockers where all busted/rusted. i put in 100 watt bulbs. they reach out there and find the asses. need to make them so they either work on high and low, or atleast high. they are pointless on low beam. lol.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 pm 
Pacer

Ohhh I forgot about this mod. I have several of these laying around (not the socket though). Soldering on some wires, and putting hot glue over it (or black tape 4tw) would perform the same as a socket.

I'm debating using 2 relays for this, with wires splitting to each.

I was told that there was a fusable link in the mix somewhere and it should be removed due to problems it causes. Where can I find it along the lines?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 am 
Pacer

This hasn't been posted to for a While but BenM on the other site posted a great looking link and I wanted to make sure it got reviewed and placed somewhere if it is as useful as I think it is.

***MAIN SITE***
http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

Alternator link that BenM posted

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:28 pm 
Javelin

I'm reading the first post and as I get further, I'm like, wait a minute I wrote that. :mrgreen: You might want to check your sockets with a volt meter. I kind of remember the diagram I posted of the socket differences might not be 100% accurate. I installed a 140 amp 10si or 12 si, can't remember which one. Works great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:11 pm 
Pacer

It was your post, and a good post. When the link was posted I wanted to share what I felt was a very useful sire. It pertains to the lights and alternator information. Didn't know if it needed its own post. Wanted to keep your post in the light.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:46 pm 
Hornet

I bought better lights to put in. Hopefully before winter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:38 pm 
Javelin

Has anybody tried LED headlights on a eagle???

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:47 pm 
Javelin

amchornet wrote:
Has anybody tried LED headlights on a eagle???

None that I know of. The only LED headlights I would trust, would be the ones available from JW SPeaker. But, with a price tag of 389 for each headlight, I don't think anyone here will try them. http://www.tlg-auto.com/SearchResults.a ... mit=Search Something to consider, is that LED headlights don't produce enough heat to melt ice that may form on the headlight during the winter.

Last edited by Eaglefreek on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:50 pm 
Pacer

Would be am interesting idea.