It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dexron II Replacement?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:22 pm 
Noob

OK So here's kind of a noob question.

I just got my hands on a wonderful example of an '84 Limited wagon : 1985amceagle: . When I got it home and went through it I noticed that there is not a drop of tranny fluid on the dipstick. In the Chilton manual it calls for Dexron II ATF. I have never seen Dexron II in stores. Can I use Dexron VI in this 32 year old tranny? I think I read somewhere that Dexron VI is backwards compatible where it calls for Dexron II.

What do the rest of you recomend?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:08 am 
Site Admin

GM claims' dexron 6 can be used anywhere dexron 3 was called for, dex 3 replaced dex 2. So in theory yes, you should. However, if you read the fine print, dex 6 is not recommended to be used in steering systems, dex 2 and 3 were fine for steering use. There's something missing, not sure what, but I'm leery of 6 for this reason. Maybe 6 doesn't have the needed anti-foaming property? Maybe my foil hat is too tight, and it will be just fine like the oil companies say.
Some parts stores may still carry dex 3, check around first. I was able o find dex 3 last fall when I changed the fluid and filter on mine, you may get lucky too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:12 pm 
Noob

OK so I put some Dex 6 in the transmission but the T-Case is also a little low. It has (if everything is stock) the Chrysler 998 Transmission and the NP-129 T-Case. Both of them call for Dex 2 ATF so let me ask this simply.... What should I put in them. I want to flush them both and I'm not sure what to put back in them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Dex6