It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 am 
Hornet

Do you want a wagon or SX4? My wagon is rustfree and up for $2500 with a pile of parts to go with it. Since I got sick, I haven't been able to work on much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 am 
Javelin

If you're feeling really bold, you could find a 4 cyl iron duke Eagle and try fitting a 3.0l Mercruiser engine in its place with efi. Would have more hp than a 4.2 engine, and probably better gas mileage.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38412.0

To answer some of your other questions, the 4.0 head alone will not do much. You really need to swap a 4.0 cam to see much of any hp gain, and I don't know that you'd really see any mileage gains unless it changed your driving habits.

The HEI distributor is nice, but a simple TFI upgrade will do the same and work well also. I swapped in an HEI and decided after a little while that I'd rather have the TFI, so it's back where it was with some better wiring and resistor delete. I recommend MSD Streetfire 8mm spark plug wires when you change them. They are easy, cheap make-your-own wire sets that look and perform well. They come with a crimp tool, and I did mine using a bottle jack and the frame of my Eagle (since I didn't have a vice at school haha). All the other wire sets I used either had terrible crimp connections or didn't match well and looked awful.

The Eagle has rather skinny tires to begin with, which is just one of the reasons they are more fuel efficient and better in the snow than most Jeeps. Stock size is a good way to go.

If you would rather remain carbed and are looking for fuel efficiency, I'd say go with a weber 32/36 kit and make it work: http://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-WEBER-ELE ... B000JLOXF8

The reason most people get a new carb is because they don't necessarily know how to tune them (and I can't blame them, carbs are a pain). The weber is one of the more fuel sipping carbs, it's just harder to tune apparently.

Also, I have not seen an electric fan setup that passes enough air for the 4.2 as compared to the stock fan (that doesn't mean there aren't any out there). It just may take a bit of searching.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:36 pm 
Noob

thanks carnuck,
thats a great looking wagon.
way too far away though

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:00 am 
Hornet

if you want effective electric fans, I have a set up on my drag car that works VERY well. it has dual fans, picked up at salvage yard for $40. spirit uses same radiator as the eagle. and my drag car has FAR more heat, therefore needs MUCH better cooling than a 6 cyl car. (healthy 360)

look for the fans out of early 2000's Chrysler full size cars. they fit the radiators very well. I also use a fan controller that screws into the cooling system. adjustable. turns on at 215, off at 190. it also has an over ride wire that would connect to your a/c system so its on with a/c. I have mine set to a switch on my switch panel to cool the car down between runs. takes about 5 min to cool the motor from 210* after a run, back down to 160 and ready to go again.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 am 
Noob

Thanks Casper,
It sounds like an efficient set up. I'll probably do that if I find an eagle.
I keep finding ones that are JUST outside my price range, or something comes up that eats into my budget, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:25 pm 
Hornet

not sure where your located. I have a wagon I would sell. only 20,958 miles on it currently. drove it for 500 problem free miles. only needs minor things. brand new tires on it also.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:30 pm 
Noob

I'm in NW ohio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:10 pm 
Javelin

I have a 76 hornet with the 4.0 head amd whole mpfi system to go with it and I get a steady 22 mpg and I drive it like I stole it, lol. You cant belive the looks I get when a sedan hornet goes up the street with tires just smoking. :D

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am 
Pacer

Part of the reason an Eagle gets lower MPG is it's height. My original was sagged pretty low, but with a MC2100 + HEI and a new intake/exhaust manifold gasket and decent plugs + wires I got 22-25MPG all day long (well, hill climbs ruined that a bit). It had 2.07 gears IIRC...didn't jump off the line but cruised VERY nicely and did what I wanted it to. ran P225 75 R15 on Jeep rims as well (offset looks nice).

I did close to 600KM or so on $80ish fuel (highest grade, no ethanol in it and my old Eagle preferred it). I attribute it to the car being a couple of inches below stock height and the engine having no issues (60k miles on it original).

Holy shit I miss that car.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:41 pm 
Javelin

Yeah, I'd say the hardest part with this engine and Carter carb is just finding and sealing all the vacuum leaks. My carb has been terrible with that, and I'm wondering if the throttle body isn't entirely flat.

As an update, I just installed a Holley fuel pressure regulator and gauge (set to about 2-2.5 psi), a new aluminum front skid plate/air/water dam, GM HEI ignition module, and a newer Motorcraft distributor. I haven't filled up yet to get readings, but it looked to be getting around 20mpg highway in 4wd. If I can actually get the carb sealed correctly, it ought to run and tune much better also.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires