It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:30 pm 
Noob

in and Eagle?
I haven't had an AMC in a VERY long time. With any luck, I will have one monday. I'm not sure of the year, but it's an Eagle Wagon. I'm going to test drive Sunday evening.
I know that the eagles were never what you'd consider economical or efficient. But would it be possible with some upgrades to hit 25mph highway with a 258 auto?
Small, skinny tires?
electric fan?
In addition to cleaning up and refreshing everything, I was thinking of switching to an HEI distributor.
Does the 4.0 head have an effect either way on gas mileage?
How about switching to a motorcraft 2100?
Sorry to have to ask such boring questions, but in my situation I have to.
Like I said, I know its not an economical car, so please don't remind me. I don't need to be told "if you want gas mileage, get a ___________"
Any suggestions on making an I6 eagle more fuel efficient would be greatly appreciated.
I'd rather not delete the air conditioning (if it even works), but I wouldn't mind deleting the power steering.

Thanks everyone

List of previous AMC's :
74 hornet 232 auto, swapped in 360 from 71 javelin sst
71 javelin sst 360 auto
72 javelin 304 auto
74 javelin amx 360 auto
76 gremlin x 232 3 speed
concorde wagon (forgot year)
Eagle 2 door sedan (forgot year, wound up with the 232 from the hornet, had a hole in number 6 piston when I bought it)
Eagle 4 door sedan 258 auto
Eagle Kamback iron duke 4 speed, 4 inch lift
XJ can't remember year (but had amc emblems on seat belts and gauges) or engine size, 4 cyl 4 speed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:34 am 
Javelin

Which body style? I've heard at least a couple guys have achieved mid to upper 20's. It will require a perfectly working Carter. I don't think it will happen with the Motorcraft. Make sure the brakes are in good order and not dragging. Good wheel alignment. Switch to all synthetic fluids. I tried an electric fan for about a year and saw no effect on MPG what so ever. Driving technique will probably have the biggest effect.
I'm hopefully picking up my original 81 Eagle wagon up in October when I go to the Eagle Motel meet amd towing it back from Denver. It's been sitting in a garage for over 5 years. I gave it to a buddy, but he hasn't touched it. My intention with it is to achieve the best MPG. It's currently a 258 manual car and I'm considering a modern EFI 4cyl. engine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:10 am 
Site Admin

25 is definitely a realistic goal, no need to delete creature comforts, my sedan with a 4bbl used to hit 22-23 on highway trips without even trying for mpg. I think EF is right about the properly tuned carter. My sx/4 has one, and it's quite the conservative sipper when driven with a light foot. Another key, travel at 60 rather than 70, makes a big difference with these ole bricks, lol.

Yes a skinny tire will help with mpgs, as well as alloy wheels (less rotating weight).

HEI, eh, I'm on the fence of whether or not it will do anything for mileage, I use them primarily for their reliability and simplistic nature. Not to mention, you can get replacement parts for them anywhere.

Early eagles will have a cad front axle, this is also said to improve mileage, though some claim more troublesome. Both of mine work just fine.

Low drag brake system, early eagles have ford type calipers which are said to have more drag than the later type gm style. Early ones can be retro fitted with the later, with the proper parts.

The mc2150/2100, I tried it, I didn't care for it, used much more fuel than my little carter. I ended up using a quadrajet on that car, which provided more performance than the carter when needed, but also similar economy when babied.

Run Non Ethanol fuel if it's available to you, I noticed a mpg or two difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:24 am 
Eagle

Shagg wrote:

Run Non Ethanol fuel if it's available to you, I noticed a mpg or two difference.

ive noticed the same thing with my eagle, although ive been making closer to 15 mpg with mine on 10% ethanol with a majority of short trips.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 am 
Noob

thanks guys, good news indeed :]
It's going to be a LONG weekend though. I want to go check it out NOW. The owner won't be available until 7pm tomorrow night, if I buy it, she won't be able to get the title done until monday. Time sure drags when you are waiting for an AMC

Last edited by Poomwah on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:31 pm 
Hornet

14 in town and 19 highway with my wagon and 727/229 before the bigger tires. Swapped from 2.72 to 3.08 ratio to match the 235 tires I put on with factory setup. (there is a range of tire size/gear ratio that works best) I plan on an AW4 later but since I may need to tow between now and then, this will work. EFI is planned as well.

Synthetic fluids will help and I'm hoping to modify a Ranger/Bronco II locking hub setup to work as well, but they aren't that strong. The taller you go, the more air you push. Totally closing in the underchassis on a lifted rig helps lower drag and fuel costs. When I put 33" tires on my Comanche, I went with 9.5" wide and got 19 mpg highway with my 5 speed and 3.73 gears. Swapping to auto dropped me to 14 with the same tires, but putting 235/75/15s on got me back to 17 (while towing an SX4 with my truck cooking the AW4 trans on the hottest day of the year due to a totally plugged rad cooler) By going to 4.10s, the MJ will be back to 17-20 mpg, but it's become too small (can't pack grandkids and the wife in it) so I'll sell it after I change the trans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:01 pm 
Hornet

mine isn't a wagon, its the lighter sx4. I have put in a 93 4.0, its got the stock t4 manual trans, 3.08 gears and 215/75/15 toyo a/t tires. motocraft 2150 on modded 258 eagle intake. I get 24-25 mpg with it all the time at 60mph or so. on 10% ethanol crap. haven't tried the "clean" fuel. here in Oregon the only "clean" fuel has to be premium. so the cost is null. got a t5 waiting to get put in when ever I can get to it.

mid 20's can be done. just have to know how to tune the carb. full synthetic fluids, and everything adjusted just right. can be done!

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 pm 
Javelin

Your best bets for fuel savings are axle gearing, type of transmission, and fuel injection. I still have not seen any other fuel focused projects unfortunately, but I believe that an Eagle could achieve up to or over 30 mpg with the right modifications. I doubt you will get over 25 with an automatic, unless everything else is setup specifically for mileage and/or you swap an AW4 from a Jeep. To actually reach 25mpg with your automatic, you will either need to swap MPI fuel injection from a Jeep or become an engine/carb tuning guru. Keep in mind, the wagon does also weigh more than the smaller Eagles.

You can see in my signature the specs of my SX/4. After 3 years of constantly tuning my rebuilt non-feedback Carter BBD, my Eagle consistently gets 15-18mpg in 4wd with all new ignition, fuel, and brake components and a full 4.0 engine. My project is to ultimately be more fuel efficient while retaining and upgrading much of the Eagle's functionality.

That being said, there are many things I can still do or have done differently that would have an effect on mileage:

-I have a fixed fan, which could be swapped to a clutch or electric style
-I have all-terrain tires (nearly stock size) on slightly wider rims, which potentially add rolling resistance
-I could make the underside more aerodynamic
-I have 2.35 gears, which may or may not have a significant effect on mileage
-I could drive in 2wd (but I don't yet have a way to easily shift the t-case, and I'd rather be in 4wd)
-I could reduce the amount of tools and parts I carry in my car LOL
-Since I now have an electric fuel pump due to the 4.0 engine, I really should have a fuel pressure regulator hooked up with the Carter
-MPI Fuel Injection!
-AW4 transmission swap

Some of these things will be changed in the near future on mine. Just remember that a lot of these modifications will be quite expensive, especially if someone does them for you, and will most likely defeat the purpose of being more fuel efficient unless you put a heck of a lot of miles on your car.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:17 am 
Eagle

Aerodynamics plays a big role. Go check out ecomodder for some good tips on hypermiling and aero things you can do. I recall seeing a thread about someone doing some things to a Cherokee. If the wagon has a roof rack you'll want to remove it.

Cherokee Ecomodder Thread
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.p ... -2614.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 am 
Noob

thanks guys.
you have me pretty confident I can achieve my goal :]
Now I just have to find an eagle I can afford that isn't too far gone.
The one I thought I was getting didnt work out. The search is on!

thanks again guys