It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:44 pm 
Javelin

It is really easy to get out as a whole assembly. I can pull one in about 20 min. It is impossible to take apart without getting to the backside. Most of the screws you removed on the front side did not need to be removed.

1) Put back the three screws you removed on either side. They are important to keep the metal attached to the plastic. That metal spans the entire dash and doesn't get seperated from the plastic ever. If you try to remove the dash with those missing you'll crack it badly.

2) Drop your steering wheel. This requires the removal of the plastic on the underside of the steering wheel by two screws on either end. Some Eagles have vent control knobs built into it as well, and you'll need to loosen one or both of those too. Under the plastic is four 1/2" socket bolts through a small bracket to the steering column itself. Once they are removed, a 5/8" socket (maybe 9/16", I'm doing this from memory) on either side drops the whole bracket and lets the steering column settle down and hang on it's own.

3) Remove all the screws along the windshield. I think there is five of them total.

4) Remove the 1/2" socket driven bolt attaching the front of your Ebrake lever to the dash

5) Loosen the 1/2" socket driven bolt behind the Ebrake lever on the driver side. There is another one on the passenger side. Don't bother removing these bolts totally because the metal forks around them for ease of removal and installation.

6) Remove the package tray, which has two screws at either end and two pairs of screws in the middle.

7) Remove the center of the dash around the radio. Remove the four screws at the sides of the heater control assembly and let it hang out of the way. There might be a lightbulb that just pops out of place.

8) Remove the speedometer cable by reaching up under the dash between the brake and gas pedal, and then feeling the pin and bracket that the brake pedal rotates on. Reach on the passenger side of that bracket up and over it, where you'll feel the collar on the back of the speedometer. Unscrew it.

9) Pull the entire dash up as an assembly about four inches. It should be all loose except for the dash lights and a few wires going to the dash itself. With the whole assembly pulled up, it's easy to reach up and disconnect everything.

10) Pull the entire dash out and set it on the ground next to the car. If the dash pad or any other further parts need to be taken apart, that is where you do it.

I also notice that you have a remote controlled mirror. You'll need to remove that by spinning the collar off with two screwdrivers at once. I also see that you have the kind of vent knob that just ends on a slotted piece of metal. You'll need to loosen the nut on that and pop it off. Be very careful with that, it is easy to damage the plastic threads.

I hope the woodgrain around your knobs was already like that. It is not supposed to be removed. The glue and plastic rivets have been broken to let it hang like that. I also see a crack above the steering column and a chunk missing behind the radio bezel. Your dash has been beat on it seems.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:14 pm 
Pacer

Wow..Just wow. Yet again captspillane you manage an awesome write up on something I need to do. Worth asking here about transplanting a dash. Is it possible for my SX4 dash to fit in Kammy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Simple answer, yes, the sx dash will swap to the kammy, or wagon, or sedan. :queer:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 pm 
Metropolitan

Managed to get everything all off. Thx to everyone for all the tips and tricks (especially captspilane). Pretty sure there were a couple of areas where I cracked stuff, but honestly every panel on this interior has at least one crack, one screw missing' and is ultra brittle.

One note: when I took the steering wheel bracket off, the steering did not drop. I think the firewall bracket was still keeping it in place. I took off the speedo bracket by snaking my hand through the radio compartment I took out.

I'm going to look things over... Have some basic follow up q's in just a bit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:32 pm 
Eagle

SpreadEagle wrote:
Wow..Just wow. Yet again captspillane you manage an awesome write up

The dude knows his way around an Eagle...he has like a million of them! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:27 am 
Noob

I just used this guide to remove my dash on my 81 sx4, thank you so much for posting! It was a great help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:04 pm 
Noob

I am still trying to get my instrument cluster and illuminator issues resolved. Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to connect to? I see nothing on the dash or cluster anywhere that fits this connector, which is wired into the car.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 1652 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:59 pm 
Eagle

That looks like it is the connector for the digital clock to me, I'd have to double check to be sure, its been a while since I've done much with an eagle electrical system, however I'm starting to pick up on what is a common wiring trend for Amc with wiring colors for the audio system

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:45 pm 
Rebel

I did a heater core for one of my customers years back in one of these things. It turned out well, but how much plastic can you try not to break? I'm pretty sure that's when I started drinking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:47 pm 
Hornet

I have the whole dash from (I think) my '84 Eagle wagon.