It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

lol, thanks, hopefully we won't ever have to sell it, but you never know :? .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Chapter IV......FIGHT!!! :lol:

Time for a little color, the one we decided on was gm's blue granite poly, otherwise known as stealth gray metallic. It's kind of a neat color that takes on different appearence depending on light, some days the car is blue as could be, others it takes on a very gray tone, you'll see that in pictures to come. Anyway before I get too far ahead of myself, here's some pics of the process. Don't know if I mentioned, but, the paint I used is Omni single stage Acrylic Enamel, I added a catylist (hardener) so I could clear it too.

First off I cut the body of the car in.

I hate masking with a passion :x , so basically what you see is the only taping this car got, lol, couple sheets covering the dash, steering wheel, floor, and one covering the engine compartment (not pictured).

Moved the car out of the barn, and proceeded with the hood, doors, and fenders.

Yes those are garbage cans the doors are resting on, lol, they make perfect paint stands for doors. :mrgreen:

Once all that was dry I started the assemblly process.

Now that it's all together, lets get some color on that thing, but not yet, I should mention I spent close to 8 hours cleaning the barn prior to painting the car, all the nooks and crannys, all the dust from body work, cob webs, dirt, it all had to go. When I was finally satisfied, it was then time to paint. I got lucky with the day, weather was good, maybe about 55-60 outside, not raining, no wind (keep in mind, 100+ year old barn isn't exactly air tight, lol), I got a little fire going in the wood stove to bring the temp up some, and keep the barn dry as could be. Once my climate had reached an acceptable level, the paint went on, and went on well. 8-)

The following day I layed the clear coat, same deal, got the barn to ideal (or as close as possible) climate, and let er rip.

Turned out decent, but, after a little wet sand and buff the next day, it really started to pop. I went with 1500 grit in case anyone is wondering, then used a wool bonnet equipped buffer/sander, with a fast cut compound, finishing off with a swirl remover using a wool bonnet equipped random orbit polisher.

Then on November 29 2009 this drove out of the barn.....

At this point, seeing it in the sun, I realized I had fucked up...... :shock: The car that was supposed to be a daily year round beater, turned out to nice to let that happen to. Damnit. That about rounds it up for 2009, a week or so later I loaded it up on the trailer and took it for its winter slumber.

There it be, safely tucked away til 2010, next to my botched malibu, hahaha.

To be continued........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Chapter V: Enter 2010.....

The eagle returned from its winter slumber, I want to say in April.

I'll start out with saying, I got a little antsy to try this thing out on the road. I went out to the DMV, got er registered and insured, threw a couple seats in, zip tied some tow straps to the B pillars (faux seat belts, hahaha), and out for test drive we went (gf and I). Everything was going fairly well, didn't go over 35 or so, car felt pretty tight, shifted okay, ran good. All was well, until as we were cruising through the village, a dog ran out, since the brakes were'nt quite up to par son to speak, I had tow options hit the dog, or downshift and possibly break the rearend. I ended up walking home to get the jeep and another strap to tow the eagle home....4wd was inop at the time of this so not just a simple flick of a switch to creep home in fwd.
Lets just say after that, the first thing I did was install the repalcement axleshaft and hub I had obtained from my local u pull it, lol.

One of the next things on the list, take care of that crappy leaky plastic valve cover. Over the winter I had aquired a used aluminum one off ebay for $25 or so shipped to my door. Since I'm not one to leave well enough alone, I decided to clean and paint the engine while I was in there, that lead to me deciding, to throw a water pump at it, and since I was dow that far, mind as well throw a timing chain and gearset in too, lol, Damn snowballs.

It was mighty grimey.

Had to make a tool to remove the balancer without pulling the radiator (me being lazy, lol). Couple minutes with the welder, and we have a low profile harmonic balancer puller.

Ugly but effective.

Here we are all painted up.

Being that I told the gf no, on painting the car pink, I told her she could have the valve cover any color she wanted, she picked purple, looks pretty good actually. While it was off anyway, I stripped and cleaned the intake manifold, hit with my plastic zip wheel and gave it sort of a neat finish.

I did the air cleaner lid to match as well.

classy zip tied license plate 8) .

I had found a concord grille on ebay and threw that in.

This car was the test dummy for the hei/duraspark ignition found here.
http://amceagles.49.forumer.com/viewtop ... f=27&t=224 otherwise known as Poor Mans HEI.

Next is rather boring just bolting crap back on/in. Driving the car a bit noticed the clutch didn't quite feel right, so a new clutch was in order. The nice thing about it, I was able to leave the car on all 4's , gigitty gigitty.

left the driveshaft in place.

pulled er out as one unit with a series of strategically placed jacks, lol.
A buddy of mine had a centerforce clutch laying around taking up space, so the parts were free (yes I am a cheap ass, but you all know that already)
This is upon re install.

So once I got it up to height, it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to be rolling all these forward, soooooo...

hooked the come-along to the lawn mower and dragged the car onto the tranny, lol (hey it worked).

Look....bumpers! yay!

I continued putting stuff on as I went.

finished engine bay.

interior as it sits (ok so I did actually put the pedal pads on since this pic, lol)

This was the pic we took for the eotm before and after theme, and that pretty much rounded out 2010, not a lot of work went on, but we managed to put 10k miles on the car that summer, lol, took it everywhere we went, always ran perfect.

One last group of pics before this segment ends.......
The wheels I have planned it.

stockers! Stripped and cleaned.

etch prime

Painted body color, I'll add some beauty rings, and center caps, and have a set of cheap ralley appearing wheels, lol. I hope to have these on the car before the July AMC show, I didn't have time to do it in 2011 with the jeep build and all, haha.

screw it, this pic about sums up 2011, drove, showed, and enjoyed the car.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Chapter V:
Getting closer to current updates, hahaha, when I got the car out of storage for the 2012 season, I was greeted with a flat tire, no biggie, I had an air tank handy, lol. Car fired up just as I expected, drove the less than one mile back to work, I pulled in the shop, and I see steam.....Damnit. :evil: Popped the hood and the rad is a bit damp, nothing pissing out just seaping, so I limped it home, and began my search for a replacement radiator.

I was trying to get out of spending a lot of money, so I looked around for a used one, a friend of mine (works at a junkyard) located one for me for $100, described as like new, sweet deal. So I have him get it for me, I go pick it up, and something seems amiss. Looked odd, I figured eh, must just be the difference between factory and aftermarket. I go to put this thing in, she no fit :evil: . After doing a bit of research, I found that the place my friend had gotten the radiator from, tried to pass a mazda pick up radiator off as an eagle one, assholes.... At least I didn't lose money on it, my buddy took it back and charged the other yard for the hassle, lol.

Bad monkey!! No bananna!!!

Round two, I decided to go with an aluminum cj radiator, as there were claims it's a near bolt in, so I spent the $149ish on ebay and had nice 2 row shipped to my work. Got home, went to install it, aannnnnnnnnnnnnndddd Damnit! If you have a york compressor, this rad will not work for you. The outlet is a mear 1 1/2" away from the pulley, way too close for comfort. It sure was purty sitting in there though, hahaha.

Round three, my last resort, I didn't want to have to do this, but I had no choice. I robbed the radiator out of the 84 Eagle, it had a nearly new one in it. On the bright side, being that the 84 had the a/c removed by the prior owner, I'll be able to use that nice shiny aluminum one in it, lol.

Ah, after a month of screwing around the Eagle back in commision.

The eagle trying out its new home, lol.

After a long pause :lol: , I figured the sx needed a little work before the upcomming amc fest. Before I get into that though, I did finally bite the bullet and buy new tires. So after 2 years of sitting around, the refinished stock wheels went back on.

Any hoo, the project for the amc fest, was to do something about the crappy interior, or lack there of I should say, haha. I spent much of Saturday working on this, I removed the seats, belts, ahifter trim, ect. Cleaned, vacuumed the floor, then gave it a good coat of Penetrol.

Once that dried, I mixed up a bit of Implement enamel for the top coat.

Turned out pretty decent.

Last night I started putting the interior bcak together :lol: , lets just say, after 3 years, you tend to forget order of operation for proper fittment. By the time I made progress, it was already dark, so no pics of where I'm at, but they can be expected likely Thursday.

Like always, please excuse my crappy quality photos, my cellphone is fussy at times, hahaha. Anyway, here's a few pics of the interior back in the car, and cleaned a bit.

Started cleaning up the engine and bay, contemplating wetsanding and buffing the car back out, it's gained a few scratches over the years, plus get rid of a little more orange peel :oops: .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Chapter VI: So this is where we stand...

Went out over the weekend and finally got some pictures of the sx that weren't done by my shitty cell phone, about damn time right? Not to mention, took the eagle out for a jaunt in the woods, yes it was a wide path so no ruffage touched the body :roll: (yup, I'm a schmuck, lol). So here's a couple we took and a nice poser shot at the end. :mrgreen:
enjoy.

my favorite:

:oops: Still don't have the end caps fitted to my liking, it will happen just gimme time, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 pm 
Eagle

shiny eagle (drool emoticon) that sx4 turned out well, great job on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 pm 
Eagle

Gonna do anything about the bumper end caps? The car is so well restored it just seems to be lacking with nothing on the ends of the bumpers. I guess too that you decided to cover up the side skirt and fender flare holes and won't be installing new ones..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I am working on that, I'm modifying some concord ends to work, I've been sidetracked a bit so it kinda went on the back burner :oops: .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:11 pm 
Eagle

I am so envious. Gives me a standard to work towards.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

No need to Doug, just remember, I'm an amateur on a shoe string budget, it's possible to have a nice finished product for pennies on the dollar, if you have the time to do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next