It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 am 
Pacer

wouldn't spirit bumper ends fit better or do you prefer the concord ones?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 am 
Site Admin

They are the same thing, the spirits and concords have wider bumpers though, so I have to get a little creative so they almost form fit to the body, should look good all said and done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 am 
Eagle

Well I now have the time. I still think you did a fine job and should be proud of your work.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Doug, I am really pleased how well the car came out in the end, suprised, but very pleased. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 am 
AMX

Nice job Shagg! I think the gf needs to drive it ;)
I see your top middle vents look like mine (white), were these once chrome painted? They stick out and I have been debating popping mine out and repainting them but afraid that 31 year old plastic will crack or break upon removal so I hadn't attempted it yet.

Keep us posted on what you work out for the end caps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
Eagle

Mud wrote:
Nice job Shagg! I think the gf needs to drive it ;)
I see your top middle vents look like mine (white), were these once chrome painted? They stick out and I have been debating popping mine out and repainting them but afraid that 31 year old plastic will crack or break upon removal so I hadn't attempted it yet.

Keep us posted on what you work out for the end caps.

Yup, chrome plated. I painted mine all black as I think that looks better in a Sport. Chrome is OK in a Concord or non sport Eagle, but IMO not in a Sport model. I really think AMC should have used the non wood look dash, that was used in low end Kammbacks and Spirits on their Sport models.

1970 Ambassador SST 2 dr Hard Top Coupe
1980 Concord DL 4 dr
1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Mud, and I agree, she does need to drive it, lol. The vents pop out pretty easy, making them pretty is another one of those things on the to do list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 pm 
Hornet

damn, id have been so happy if caspers paint had turned out even HALF way like yours did before you ever did any wetsanding/polishing or anything. that car looks great!

my casper car, i tried to pait it here on my own. paint went on great. looked nice and smooth, no runs or anything. (my first time with something other than a rattle bomb.) the next day i put the pearl clear on. everything was going fine. after i had started the 2nd coat, my shop heater ran out of fuel, and it decided to get COLD outside and fast. so my clearcoat did NOT lay out flat at all. just pissed me off.

o, and any tips/tricks on how you got the top bellhousing bolts out? i got pissed off trying and pulled the motor mounts, set the motor on the crossmember, dropped the trans crossmember, set the trans/tcase on the ground then i could get them with what tools i got here at home. drug the trans out from under the car and pulled the motor out. (looks like you got a t4 like i do, and i could NOT get my shifter to come off for the life of me. luckily my honeybadger is lifted enough and all that with the jack, lifting the tires only 2" off the ground had enough clearance to drag the trans out with the shifter on. lmao!

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Casper, I still say there was lots of luck involved in this car :lol: . My first real paintjob was a year prior on my malibu, it turned out aweful, weather had a big impact on it too, except it was blistering hot out, so I couldn't get the paint to go on wet enough, looks like a grapefruit, lol. Not to mention that paint job is falling off in chunks now :evil: .

The eagle has the SR4 trans in it, when I removed it, I just dropped the transmission/transfer case crossmember removed the shifter, and pulled the trans and t-case as one unit leaving the bell housing attached to the engine. That made breeze work of getting to the bell to engine bolts. I have yet to pull an engine from one leaving the trans in place though. I know it was a pain in the ass on my jeep, a contraption of entensions were used to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm 
Pacer

when i did the automatics i just used the socket and wrench and slipped my hand up there and got them that way but i know not everbody can do that but if you can get youir hand up there then you should be able to do it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next