It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Mine was a little different, I jumped the blue w/ black stripe, to the brown wire to bypass the switch. The others were yellow and solid blue, yellow connected down to the ops, while the blue (reverse lamps) remains unconnected.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:35 am 
Hornet

Not sure the wiring colors on std trans, but there should be a safety switch on the clutch pedal. I bypassed mine a long time ago in my jeep (I used the starter to get off of the highway so I could open my hood and find out why it quit when the ignition module went south) The two outside pins on the automatic NSS are for reverse lights. Middle is neutral/park ground for the starter relay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:39 am 
Site Admin

No nss or clutch start switch on my 81 manual eagle. Did they add them in later years?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:41 pm 
Rogue

Shagg wrote:
No nss or clutch start switch on my 81 manual eagle. Did they add them in later years?

My '81 does not have a switch either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:06 pm 
Hornet

NSS is only on automatics. Clutch safety started @'82 and definitely by '84 (required by law) I took it out of all my rigs and was just careful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:48 pm 
Noob

Right now I would be happy if I could get it to engage the starter, with or without the NSS.

Before beginning anything with with project the starter solenoid had 5 wire locations on it:
1) heavy gauge power wire from the positive battery post (several other smaller wires here too)
2) heavy gauge power wire to the starter
3) about a 12 gauge white wire with spade connector on one of the small lugs on top
4) about a 14 gauge wire pair (yellow and red) with a spade connector on the other small lug on top
5) a 14 or 16 gauge black(?) wire to NSS ground lug on the bottom

Per Eaglefreek's suggested routing I moved the #2 position wire to #1 so it is always hot.
I added another wire from #2 to the small lug on the new starter's solenoid. Right now turning the key turns on lights in the dash but does not get anything at the starter. Leaving the key in the on position and jumping between #1 and #2 with a heavy gauge wire gets me clicking at the lower solenoid, but no spin of the starter motor.

This is a 1984 Eagle with automatic, the NSS /backup light plug wiring harness going from the AT to the rest of the car has three wires, black, green, and yellow - no blue, blue/ white or anything else connecting to the transmission just like the 90's Cherokees. Even the repair manual that came with the car (which is unfortunately the Haynes version) calls out a blue/white wire for the 1984 Eagles and only a blue/white wire for the NSS at the transmission. The manual showed other colors for earlier years, but blue/white for 1984-88. Can't find a blue/white wire anywhere on the car and the manual shows no black, green, and yellow wires from the transmission.

The 1997 AX-15 has a two wire pigtail for the reverse lights, so two of the black, green, and yellow wires should connect to that. No idea where the third wire needs to go yet (if anywhere), but it seems like it would be for the NSS. Like I said for now I will happily disable the NSS if it means the car will start.

Since this car is originally an automatic it does have the fender mounted starter solenoid with a tiny NSS ground lug on the bottom (that the Captain hates) instead of being grounded to the mounting bolt like the manual trans cars. One of the Captain's recommendations is to swap to the manual solenoid. The ground wire going to it appears to be black, but could just be very dirty. On the Haynes manual this is also called out as the same blue/white wire coming from the transmission. Have not been able to tell yet if this is the same wire from the plug at the transmission on mine, but it seems like it should be. If so, where should the transmission end of it be connected?

Everything electrical was all working fine before I took the AT out. The car started easily when I got it so it should just be the right combination of wire connections to make it work. It is unlikely that the solenoid has failed in the time and minimal use that I have had this, but it's not out of the question so when I get the chance I will pick up a new manual trans version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I'll look at mine again tonight, snap some pics of what I did, mine is an 84 as well, I too went from auto to manual.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:10 pm 
Noob

I separated the three wires out of the connector that used to plug into the AT at the NSS/backup switch.

The yellow wire that is hot with key on and the black wire make the backup lights work when connected to the pigtail from the AX-15.

The remaining green wire still does not have a home, but must be for the NSS. Actually this wire is green with a black stripe if that makes any difference. Is there some place under the dash this needs to go? How do you otherwise disable the NSS so it will let the car start?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:16 pm 
Hornet

Ground that wire and it will start anytime. It plugs into the backside of the solenoid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:25 pm 
Noob

OK - It's up and running. Grounded the last wire (this time straight to the neg battery post) and got a little chattering from the starter solenoid. One new battery later and it cranked really well. Got a Group 24, more cranking amps for the same price as the Group 56.

Took a while and some starting fluid but it started up. It would not idle well until I got it warm and it feels like it has a miss, both occurrences are new because when I got it, it started easy went straight into a nice idle and purred smoothly. I presume in all the time and monkeying around under there, I got something out of whack. Time to simplify the vacuum hoses, I think.

The throttle cable seems to hang up a bit on the cruise control bracket. Brakes and steering feel ok and so far I have it locked into just 2wd on the NP242 transfer case. Got a little gear grind putting it into reverse and a little clunk going into first. I'm using Amsoil 75W-90 gear oil in the 1997 AX-15.

Ran it around the property a bit, got as far as 4th gear before I ran out of room. I can tell I have some more issues to take care of, no surprise.

The shocks all feel very soft,
there is a whine from the front right (wheel bearing?) and
now there is an exhaust leak up front. As much as I had to push the exhaust pipes around that is no surprise either.
A real good interior cleaning and door hinge pins are due too.

Back in the garage, I will let it cool down and see what I can find.
I know I need to change at least the upper radiator hose and at least one of the accessory belts.
Do an oil change and mount and balance the new tires too (using 205/75R15 for now). I have a set of 16 inch Grand Cherokee rims for later. Would like to eventually do just a little lift and bigger tires.

Anything else pop into anyone's mind to get into before getting tags and insurance?

On the NSS, anyone try to put a brake light switch on the clutch pedal to use for the NSS?

It's not even July so it should be on the road for several months before winter. If I haven't worked out a transfer case lever system by then I'll put it in AWD and lock the front axle until Spring.

Anyway, thanks for all your support.