It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Down to the wire - ing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 pm 
Noob

Automatic to AX-15 conversion is almost complete.

Factory 258, carter carb, recent rebuild and ran great when I got it and started the project.
97 Jeep Cherokee AX-15 with matching flywheel, clutch, and new 97 Jeep starter
96 Jeep NP-242 transfer case
Eagle factory hydraulic clutch master cylinder adapted to 97 Jeep external clutch slave cylinder

Still have the Eagle starter solenoid on the inner fender well. What's the best way to wire the starter and neutral safety switch? Anybody created a wiring diagram for this combination yet?

I can stand to be without the neutral safety switch, but the starter's got to crank the motor.

Do you continue to use the fender mounted solenoid?
Do you bypass the Jeep solenoid on the starter or route power through it?
Do you connect one of the posts (and which one?) on the fender mounted solenoid to the post on the Jeep starter solenoid?

I'd prefer to eliminate the fender mounted solenoid and just use the one on the starter if it can work that way.

David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:27 am 
Javelin

To use the NSS you will either have to use the fender mounted solenoid or a relay. I kept the solenoid. You take the large wire that goes to the starter and swap it to the other side of the fender solenoid so it gets power all the time. The wire that goes to the starter mounted solenoid , will go to the side of the solenoid the large starter wire was originally.

This is for a Ford, but it it is basically the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:13 pm 
Noob

Thanks Eaglefreek,

There are four posts on the remote solenoid, but I see you are only changing connections on the large battery cable posts and leaving the two small posts untouched. Thankfully the PO did not mess with the wiring while trying to fix the car, it all looks to be in the right place. There are a few extra circuits they ran, but it seems to be for extra running lights and the radio.

I'll try this out over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Once I get it started, I'll give it a little shakedown drive. I'm a little concerned I don't have the clutch line bled fully because I did not have someone to help with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm 
Hornet

When we did this on SOTE, we jumpered the little wire on the starter solenoid to the main battery cable terminal along with the Eagle's main cable from the fender solenoid. That way the NSS works off the 998 trans like it did before. (Needs to be wired to the NSS on the AW4 later) The only drawback was a momentary lag before the starter engaged when the key turned but it may have been a weak starter. It was used to drive my '89 MJ out of a river with BA10/5 when someone tried to speed through the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:25 pm 
Rogue

dakrisnit wrote:
Thanks Eaglefreek,
I'm a little concerned I don't have the clutch line bled fully because I did not have someone to help with it.

I've found that gravity bleeding works pretty well. Just open the bleeder with a tube into a catch container, and keep topping off the fluid before it runs dry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:29 pm 
Noob

I did gravity bleed it with the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder and included a another bleed location at the top point in the line just above the master cylinder. It just feels so easy to push the pedal I can't say there isn't air in the line until I can get it started. Also I salvaged a small clutch reservoir from a cavalier and it looks like it will work out well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:54 pm 
Noob

On the starter wire setup suggested by Eaglefreek I was going to make a new wire, but found the perfect part in my stash of extras. Pulled from a mid-eighties Ford Tempo diesel with a trunk mounted battery, I had the short very heavy gauge starter wire that comes with a smaller gauge wire bound to it in a sheath with exactly the right size end fittings for all 4 connections. It even has a charging post affixed to it and the Ford part # printed on it.

Unfortunately installing Eaglefreek's setup is not the complete answer for the starter circuit. Upon turning the key, I still get lights on the dash, but no spin at the starter. The three wires from the NSS connector from the automatic are still unconnected. They are black, green, and a brownish yellow. The black and green wires have no juice on them, but the yellow one is hot when the ignition key is on. Do any of these need to be connected somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:01 pm 
Hornet

Which trans are you running (too sick to look) Some had the switch on the clutch pedal (standard trans) and AW4 has it on the pass side of the trans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:36 am 
Noob

1997 AX-15 from a Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:43 am 
Site Admin

I'll check which one I had to jump to bypass the nss on my lunch break, one is for reverse lamps the othe is nss.