It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 am 
Javelin

Eaglefreek wrote:
With a micrometer or calipers, measure the diameter of the wire. If one is thicker, put it on the passenger side.

You were right, there is an slight difference in the measure of the 4cylinder coil springs, the gross of the wire of one coil spring measures 15.65 mm/ 0.617 inch while the other coil spring measure 16.38mm/0.647inches
Both coil springs have the same number of coils, 5 and a half, the same that the 6 cyl Eagle coil springs.

But, are right sure about to place the more gross wire coil spring in driver side?

At this time, on driver side my Eagle have fitted the thicker coil spring of 0.684inch and in passenger side 0.707inch, but I must told you that these coil springs were swapped 2 years ago because it looked terribly. Now I think the coil springs may be badly seated/placed when I bought the Eagle in 2010 and the 2012 coil springs swap was not a solution.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic41534.html

This was the wrecked look of the Eagle 2 years ago.
Attachment:
Eagle in 2012.jpg
Eagle in 2012.jpg [ 253.01 KiB | Viewed 1810 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:12 am 
Javelin

What I have heard is that the stiffer spring was to compensate for the A/C components on the passenger side. However, now that I think about it, the intake, exhaust, steering gear and front diff are all on the driver's side, which would weigh a lot more than the a/c components. So, I don't know what to do. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am 
Rogue

I've heard that the engine is mounted slightly off center, like 2 inches towards the passenger side. So the they put a thicker coil on the passenger side to level it out. Not sure if this is true.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:14 am 
Javelin

Well, I went and measured my engine and it is offset to the passenger side 1". So maybe that compensates for the extra weight on the driver's side.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:26 pm 
Javelin

Eaglefreek wrote:
What I have heard is that the stiffer spring was to compensate for the A/C components on the passenger side. However, now that I think about it, the intake, exhaust, steering gear and front diff are all on the driver's side, which would weigh a lot more than the a/c components. So, I don't know what to do. :?:

Excuse me for my doubts, one solution to our doubts will be if you can take a measure of both coils in your Eagle, from driver and passenger sides, if you have available a precision caliper.
Really now I am in a mess and a lot of doubts.

Thanks Eaglefreek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:36 am 
Javelin

Eaglefreek wrote:

EagleFreek, you are a WISE MAN, every comment you give me, and it makes my brain to work.

When you told me about the different gross of the wires, you helped me a lot, in order to fit on driver or passenger side, you open my mind.

After the first doubts, you also helped me when you told me about the need to compensate the extra weight on driver side, of the differential, steering gear, exhaust and intake manifold... you are in the right way.

CONGRATULATIONS for your precise thoughts.

Today I saw a Jeep Cherokee, from the 90s Chrysler era , and I took measures of the coil springs with my caliper, nervous since I am doing the measures in the street, on someone else`s car, viewed by some people. Driver side coil spring is slightly thin than the passenger side, and also, the front differential is located on driver side, so you were RIGHT with your thoughts.

I will be happy if you may compare this information on another Eagle.

THANKS from Overseas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:43 pm 
Javelin

I'm glad I could help, but I was just thinking out loud. I'd measure mine, but I replaced them with Moogs and they are the same on both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:58 am 
Hornet

The XJ is different since it's a solid axle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:48 am 
Javelin

AMC only used three wire diameters. They usually changed load rate by increasing the height of the coil. To compensate for the offset Eagle engine one coil started off slightly longer than the other.

I measured a bunch of my old springs and they are all the same height as their matching pair. I couldn't find a noticeable difference.

I then compared all the available new coil springs and the difference between a 6 cylinder and a 401 was about a half inch in coil height to make up at least 200 pounts in weight. The compensation for the small offset in wieght of the offset engine was probably about an 1/8" over 15" of coil height. Who cares? I don't anymore.

The only reason it matters is because Rock auto won't list a replacement kit for Eagles because of the oddball offset. In reality you just need to know to use centerline cars like Javelins, Hornets, Gremlins, Etc. Most people say "Javelin springs" to mean get the ones with the heavier wire thickness. Actually Hornets and Gremlins got them too. Javelins are not that much heavier than Hornets in reality, they just look longer because the fenders stick out farther forward.

At one time I bought coils in two different matched pairs and then swapped coils to make two mismatched pairs. At the end of the day it doesn't make a noticeable difference. Now I just use Moog 3156 coils. They work great across the board. They have the thicker of the two optional wire diameters which I hope will make them sag slower.

Last edited by captspillane on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:04 am 
Javelin

I disagree with you using 4 cylinder coils. The thinner wire diameter will mean smaller load rate, which means it changes more inches per weight. It deflects more. That means a bigger travel of the wheel as you drive.

If you used thicker springs and cut them down to make the car sit lower you would have a stiffer spring that deflects less going down the road. Since you want to lower the car you are choosing to drastically reduce the travel distance of your control arm. Stiffer springs are a must to reduce load deflection.

I suggest also making a smaller bumper above the control arm.

Also be careful with the rubber above the coil. You might want to get a new polypro set of coil spring bushings. If one was missing that will absolutely make the car lean.