It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:03 pm 
Eagle

Baskinator wrote:
I'm currently driving captspillane's 1980 IH Scout Traveler 4spd Turbodiesel.

Maybe you should wait a little longer! :) That's pretty awesome of him to let you drive that around until the swap is complete. Very cool!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 pm 
Javelin

Haha, it is a pretty sweet ride. Lots of fun to drive, and the 4 wheel works great in the snow. I love it with the rugged T19. Doesn't have a stereo though, it's very loud and bouncy, sluggish on the highway and hills, handles like a dump truck, and it's no Eagle :)

I'm sure he misses the Scout and I'm very grateful to be able to use it. The extra space is nice for lugging things to and from school. I just can't wait to have my Eagle back up and running, it's killing me that it's not done already.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:15 pm 
Eagle

I'm sure you still get plenty of looks, but not like the little SX/4!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:35 pm 
Javelin

Finally some good news! The Eagle is back up and running well as of last weekend. Made the 100+ mile trip back to school in Monday's bad snowstorm, which started halfway there. Thank god for the 4 wheel drive.

I'm still working with the HEI tuning. It had terrible spark knock for the last week and I finally was able to retard the timing and get rid of it. The HEI gives it a hell of a lot of advance and the 6 or 8 BTDC it was set at was apparently way too much. I still need to figure out the correct vacuum advance setting.

What's really weird is that when I shut OFF my headlights the idle drops. The only parts left that are computer controlled are the WOT switch and possibly the idle solenoid. Other than those couple things, I have no idea what could be causing this. Low battery voltage?

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:45 am 
Rogue

Baskinator wrote:
Finally some good news! The Eagle is back up and running well as of last weekend. Made the 100+ mile trip back to school in Monday's bad snowstorm, which started halfway there. Thank god for the 4 wheel drive.
ead
I'm still working with the HEI tuning. It had terrible spark knock for the last week and I finally was able to retard the timing and get rid of it. The HEI gives it a hell of a lot of advance and the 6 or 8 BTDC it was set at was apparently way too much. I still need to figure out the correct vacuum advance setting.

What's really weird is that when I shut OFF my headlights the idle drops. The only parts left that are computer controlled are the WOT switch and possibly the idle solenoid. Other than those couple things, I have no idea what could be causing this. Low battery voltage?

I'm not sure what you have that's still original. My Eagle still has its BBD and is otherwise bone-stock except I've done the bypass. When I shut off the headlights the idle drops, even after the bypass. The headlight circuit also activates the sole-vac on the BBD that holds the throttle slightly open from idle when the headlights, A/C or rear window defogger are on. It's not controlled by the computer. It is adjustable if you so desire, but what I will say is that when you have the A/C on you will appreciate the feature.

You may already know this stuff, and if you do I apologize... :blah: :eagle:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:03 pm 
Javelin

I did not know that the headlight circuit was connected to the sol-vac unit, thank you! That would make sense, and it wasn't really doing any harm.

The previous owner pulled out and disconnected all the air conditioning stuff from the engine bay. I have no idea what all they did to the wiring because I just recently unwrapped some of the wiring harness to find freaking duct tape used as electrical tape to cover several wire splices. I don't think they even soldered the connections, and just twisted them together. When I get the chance I will go through the whole thing, figure out why those wires were spliced, and redo the splices correctly.

After doing a bunch of research on the HEI distributor, I finally realized the mechanical advance mechanism just gives way too much advance. I got an advance curve kit from the parts store and replaced the springs with some stiffer ones, so it takes a bit longer for advance to come in full. Still, it has way too much advance past about 2000 rpm. What I need to do is put a roll pin into the base plate to limit it and shave it back until I reach the desired limit. I have to say, the HEI is not nearly as plug and play as many people make it out to be.

At some point I'd like to make a write up on the HEI so that other people don't have to struggle with it as much as I did.

Currently my car has a non-feedback Carter BBD, 4.0 Engine w/v-belt setup, and GM HEI distributor with Duraspark wiring harness removed. A/C removed, everything else major is pretty much stock. I need to update my signature.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:29 am 
Rogue

How much mechanical advance is your HEI giving? The Summit HEI I got awhile back gives 16 degrees mechanical and 2-7 vacuum (adjustable).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:51 pm 
Javelin

I don't know, I don't have an advance timing light. I just know that I'm getting detonation around half pedal and if I back the distributor off much more it won't be able to start or idle. It's also lacking power at higher speeds, but is plenty peppy at low rpm.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 pm 
Rogue

Are these problems all with the vacuum advance disconnected?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:42 pm 
Javelin

Not that I know of, it does it while driving and I haven't driven without the vacuum advance connected. I thought the vac was supposed to be adjustable, but a 3/32 hex key just spins inside it.
Even if plugging the vac line relieves the detonation, that still doesn't solve the problem. I don't want to drive regularly without it connected for many reasons.

The mechanical advance mechanism has a lot of travel, and I've read a lot of threads about guys installing a limiter screw or pin. This guy did it, halfway down the page (not the lock out screw part):
http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16662

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next