It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Long Awaited Overhaul
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:50 pm 
Javelin

So yesterday afternoon my car developed what seemed like a misfire and was running loud and rough. I said what the hell and decided to get a set of those Belden 700230 wires from Napa (Thanks casper!). They're nice wires, but it's the most awfully mismatched set I've ever seen. I'm lucky the 1 and 6 wires even reached they were so short. Probably should have taken them back, but the guy said they were the last set and it didn't bother me that much. They seemed to fix the problem at first, but it came back shortly after. Oh well, it's a nice new set.

I drove probably 60+ miles yesterday running extremely rough and underpowered. I told myself months ago that I'd be getting to the 4.0 head swap and a slight engine overhaul this winter since I have everything ready to go, so I decided that I would start immediately upon getting home. I drove to my mom's storage shed to dig for parts, got what I needed and headed home. That was the scariest drive yet in the sense that it was the first time I truly didn't think the car would get me there, but IT DID. The engine was popping and ticking and squealing very loudly and I was losing power, but it still sent me along at 45mph and pulled me up the steep driveway reluctantly.

Here it is being torn down in the crowded garage:

Still haven't seen the cylinders, but I can't believe I got 12,000 miles out of it since I bought the car. I found a big crack in the exhaust manifold, several of the rockers had a lot of play in them, the intake valves were gummed up, and everything under the valve cover was horribly dirty. That, and I already know the timing chain has a lot of slack.

Here you can see the crack that went all the way through to the inside of the manifold

Gummed up intake valves. The intake manifold looked surprisingly clean inside though.

I have until the 19th of January to finish this, when I go back to school. Not working at the moment, so this is about all I'll be doing until then. I'm still trying to decide how far I want to go with the rebuild, but I need to see what the cylinders look like first. I will update this post as it progresses.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:59 pm 
Javelin

I have a couple questions for anyone who's done this before.

1. What did you use for an exhaust flange? I found a Walker 31885 flange that should work, but I'm not sure what to use for the pipe since it has to be flared.

2. Would it be acceptable to use new lifters with an old cam? I've got the cam from the 4.0 to put in, but the matching lifters are lost somewhere in storage from my mom moving. I was thinking these for better oiling: http://www.jegs.com/i/Crower/258/66031X ... Id=1145259
Also, can I get a new distributor gear or do I need to search for the matching one?

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:23 am 
Metropolitan

Use the header manifold for the 4.0 head. You will have to modify your exhaust to connect to it and the bracket that holds the front axle in place. If you don't have the 4.0 header I have a spare for 50 bucks plus shipping. You can get the flange you need and have a muffler shop make you a flanged down pipe to connect to the header. and tie in the rest of your exhaust system to that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:47 am 
Javelin

I have a new header already. Here I test fit it to see approximately how much space I would have. As you can see, I had to dent cylinder 4 a bit and shave down my stock intake for it to fit. Hopefully this doesn't hinder performance too much.

I'd rather not take it to a shop if I don't absolutely have to. I found this flared adapter pipe flange, looks like it would work: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41726

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:52 am 
Javelin

Nevermind, here's the 2.25" adapter that should work: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41725

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:54 am 
Rogue

I am excited to see the progress! Are you doing the 4.0 head swap now?

1985 AMC Eagle
1988 Lincoln Town Car

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:39 am 
Javelin

I sure am, the head's sitting there painted and ready to go.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:35 pm 
Hornet

you can put new lifters on a used cam. if you EVER get used lifters out of order, forget using them, get new ones.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:06 pm 
Javelin

Ok, that's good. I'm looking for a good moly based assembly lube for the cam, and I plan to use Rotella T 10w-30 with Eastwood ZDDP additive for break-in. I'll replace the rings and main bearings if I have the time and money.

I had all the lifters and pushrods individually labeled, but they're probably at the bottom of a mountain in one of two storage sheds...

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-Aluminum CJ Radiator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:41 pm 
Hornet

you can never use to much molly assembly lube!!! be VERY generous with it! when you do the bearings on the bottom, get some plastigauge, and make sure things measure out correctly. and make DAMNED sure there is nothing on the back of the bearing. and pay attention to rod position. go back to the same place.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next