It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 pm 
Javelin

This one can be adapted to the stock Eagle fuel pickup/sending unit in-tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171019130400?ss ... 1423.l2649

There's a very nice write-up here:

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42927.30

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:08 pm 
Javelin

Baskinator wrote:
This one can be adapted to the stock Eagle fuel pickup/sending unit in-tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171019130400?ss ... 1423.l2649

There's a very nice write-up here:

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42927.30

Thanks for that, that is great. The only thing that worries me is the fuel float getting caught up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:22 pm 
Javelin

Probably wouldn't be too hard to prevent, just add some kind of tab that doesn't allow it to move toward the pump.

-TF998 Auto/NP129
-Carter BBD Carb
-MSD Streetfire Ignition/TFI
-Aluminum CJ Radiator
-205/75/R15 General Grabber A/T Tires

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:39 pm 
Hornet

personally, I would use a ford fuel pump. mount it back next to the tank. lets say '89 ford f150 5.0 for a fuel pump. its out of tank, mounts to the frame. easy to get if it goes out on the road almost anywhere. also quick and easy to change. iirc their fuel pressure is between 40-55 lbs or somewhere around there? but that's just me. when I change shit on my cars, I tend to go with parts that are easier to get if I broke down in the middle of Nebraska or something. any small parts store SHOULD have one on the shelf.

o, and if you use an external pump like the ford, use ONLY the really heavy duty rubber fuel line made for efi! that's all we use at our shop. use it for a/t cooler lines ect. its thicker walled, and rated for 300 psi.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BUY MORE BEER!!!!

ASE cert. mechanic 15 years.

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

62 rambler classic (casper)
63 rambler american (rosie)
82 eagle sx4 (honeybadger)
82 eagle sw (rottywagon)
79 spirit (drag race car)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:31 am 
Javelin

casper wrote:
personally, I would use a ford fuel pump. mount it back next to the tank. lets say '89 ford f150 5.0 for a fuel pump. its out of tank, mounts to the frame. easy to get if it goes out on the road almost anywhere. also quick and easy to change. iirc their fuel pressure is between 40-55 lbs or somewhere around there? but that's just me. when I change shit on my cars, I tend to go with parts that are easier to get if I broke down in the middle of Nebraska or something. any small parts store SHOULD have one on the shelf.

o, and if you use an external pump like the ford, use ONLY the really heavy duty rubber fuel line made for efi! that's all we use at our shop. use it for a/t cooler lines ect. its thicker walled, and rated for 300 psi.

This is the route I had most likely planned on going. The in tank option is great, but after reading through that other guys write up, he seemed to be having a lot of trouble getting his gauge to read correctly. Either way, this way definitely is easier. Do you use a metal line to get the fuel from the pump to the rail or EFI hose the whole way?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:09 pm 
Metropolitan

Noted on Rock Auto site that the Ford external pump may require a low pressure in tank pump as well. Have you had any issues with the Ford fuel pump picking up fuel if you mount it back by the tank?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=m75o5b0od2042g7u6v76iijrm5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 pm 
Hornet

the fords that have a low pressure pump in the tank, are full size trucks/vans that have dual tanks. the low pressure tank is what actually moves the valve to operate what tank.

I would use steel line running along the frame rail. use high pressure efi fuel hose, and the special high pressure efi hose clamps. not just the dinky little screw clamps.

82 eagle sw (rottywagon)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:33 pm 
Rogue

Kind in mind that in-line fuel pumps don't like being run low/out of gas. Its supposedly a pain to prime them if things run too low (I've never owned one, so I can't speak from experience, just what I've read)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:09 am 
Javelin

Draekon wrote:
Kind in mind that in-line fuel pumps don't like being run low/out of gas. Its supposedly a pain to prime them if things run too low (I've never owned one, so I can't speak from experience, just what I've read)

Yeah, I've of heard this problem as well. I religiously fill my tank when the gauge reads a quarter of a tank, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Casper, have you had any trouble with priming the fuel pump? How did you go about it when you first installed it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:20 pm 
Hornet

i don't have efi on my car. im an auto tech, and have messed with the ford fuel pumps plenty however. they seem to be MUCH better than the gm intake fuel pumps, that's for sure. from experience, as long as you got a return fuel system that's got a vacuum regulator, (or some other regulator, but keeps fuel returning to the tank constantly) the ford style inline fuel pumps work well, and last a long time. the constant fuel flow thru them keeps them cooled off. gm intank fuel pumps have a real problem about burning up the connectors to the pump INSIDE the tank. (sounds like a bomb waiting to go off if you ask me.) I prefer to keep any "loaded" power out of the fuel tank. a fuel sending unit isn't "loaded". a fuel pump is. this would just be my preference due to reliability, availability, and serviceability. if you used a fuel pump from say a "90 ford f150 5.0" you should be able to find one REAL easily. and they don't cost to much to replace. an intank pump, you got to drop the tank. when a car comes in that wont run, and the fuel tank is FULL, first thing we suspect is fuel pump. when intank fuel pumps go out, their fuel tanks are ALWAYS full. if it comes in for a driveability issue, its always EMPTY because we got to drive it. 99% of the time, that's EXACTLY how it works.

82 eagle sw (rottywagon)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next